Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 01:31   #1

Boat: PROUT 37'
Crew needed - UK to Israel on 10th of May

My name is Alon an Israeli 65 yo, just have purchased Living Dreams - a Prout 37' cat which is 50 years younger than me , heading to Israel from Chichester Marina England, on 10th of May. In need of 2 crew members with some experience. Flights and food on board covered by me. No alcohol addicted, No drug consumers,No individuals with short fuse, smoking only at bow leeward when applicable. Big Yes to those who's ready to take fair share in all tasks and keep smiling though. This post aims of course to both genders equally.
dfwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 02:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Re: Crew needed - UK to Israel on 10th of May

Hi Alon, I think you need to tell us a bit about yourself and your experience, what timescale, safety gear on board etc

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 03:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Alon.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 04:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
Hi Alon, I think you need to tell us a bit about yourself and your experience, what timescale, safety gear on board etc
Hi Ad, thanks for your right comment. well, as opposed to you I'm a total novice ( have a coastal skipper certificate and also got first aid and radio operating licence for Gmdss, need 8 days sailing to get the blue water skipper certificate BUT zero or next to zero experience ) therefore going to serve as the third crew member, taking orders from a well experienced captain with whom I'm at an advance stage of negotiations, hoping to get closure on coming Wednesday.
As to the boat, she is my first boat,and for the last 3 weeks I've been working on her from dawn to dust, refitting, repairing and mostly buying a lots of gear. She will leave England with all the necessary gear including life raft, epirb and so forth.
Old 16-04-2017, 04:48   #5

Thank you so much for your kindness.
Old 16-04-2017, 09:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

dont discuss non smoking on deck
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 10:07   #7
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Dear Alon,
Welcome to the forum, and...
Thanks for living the dream at the age lots of ignoramuses would say "too old"!
I did a transatlantic at 66 yo a couple years ago, and aside from a little tiredness (due to a silly watch schedule), it went great.
Suggestion: given the reliance will be on your captain, her or his resume would be one to post, and he/she will most likely have well established crew criteria, if not wanting first and last choice.
If your current skipper doesn't work out, there are some good ones here on the forum such as boatman61 who is highly experienced with the passage areas proposed, and fond of british cats.
Cheers,
Tom
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 10:09   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
dont discuss non smoking on deck
Better to ask for non-smokers. They start at the bow as you suggested, then work their way aft. Before you know it, they are smoking in the cabin and you are picking butts out of your bunk (often still smoldering).

Also, people lie.

Good luck with your trip!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 18:34   #9

Dear forum members
I'm truly touched and overwhelmed by the friendly and welcoming attitude and very glad to be part of such community,though I don't think I have right now enough time to even just learn all the things this fantastic forum has to offer to his members.
Thanks to those who showed interest in joining the voyage, I promise to
response to each of you after the meeting with that captain this coming Wednesday as it could be his prerogative to decide about lots of thinks which I even can not thing about...
As to the smoke and alcohol issue I have to clarify thinks...I myself enjoy alcoholic beverage since I was 15yo, the thing is that a man has to know his limitations and never challenge them especially when other's people lives depend on his discretion and moves... to have some drink out of your shift is ok but to be addicted to this... big NO. I was heavy smoker since 13 - 46 of age and when I took the decision to quit people asked me why my secretary is allowed to smoke in office and I of course rejected their comments by saying that after 10 years of smoking together in office I can't change the reality she is been into just because I got "smarter"... got it ?
Old 16-04-2017, 21:45   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hi Alon,
Good luck on your voyage home.
Can't help you as presently sailing in the Dodecanese.
Anyway the most important decision will be the figure of the skipper.
All the best!
Meir
Old 20-04-2017, 10:10   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Alon!

I am available now to assist you as Experienced Crew for your voyage.

I am an experienced, mature, well trained, and knowledgeable sailor. I am available on short notice when needed. I can be in any of 60 global ports in as little as 24 hours.

My focus for ALL of 2017 is to crew on long voyages for owners and professional yacht deliveries too. I am available for Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Mediterranean, ICW, or PNW deliveries or cruising or passage assistance. Some easy conditions apply, which I will be glad to explain in a phone call.

I have some brief information on my CF Profile "About Me" page here: Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Steady Hand

I also have much more detailed and extensive information about me in my off-forum but still online Sailing Credentials (on my own website), including hundreds of Verbatim Testimonial Comments about my character, honesty, trustworthiness, helpfulness, various skills, and personality. My online Sailing Credentials will give you a very good overview of who I am and how I would work to help you as Experienced Crew and what I would be like to have aboard for a long voyage with you.

I will send you a Private Message which will include a link to my Sailing Credentials and multiple ways for you to contact me off the forum, including my current phone number, email, Skype, etc.

If I don't hear back from you, I will assume you have found crew and I wish you a safe and happy voyage.

In any case, please keep my contact information and keep me in mind for future needs you have for crew. As I mentioned earlier, I will be available during ALL of 2017 for crew opportunities, anywhere.

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 10:24   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crew needed - UK to Israel on 10th of May

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Better to ask for non-smokers. They start at the bow as you suggested, then work their way aft. Before you know it, they are smoking in the cabin and you are picking butts out of your bunk (often still smoldering).

Also, people lie.

Good luck with your trip!
You obviously mix with a lesser class..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 05:48   #13

Is your boat named living dream ??
mysailoruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 07:31   #14

Boat: 1984 Hunter 25.5

Fair winds and following seas to you. I am not a novice but just getting reacquainted with sailing again, after forty years. Am 65 here and remember Lord Francis Chichester was no kid when he took Gypsy Moth around the globe, single handed. I salute you. And ETOH is healthful as long as it does not rule you. God bless.
carlsails58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 10:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysailoruk View Post
Is your boat named living dream ??

Yes, It is.

Tags
crew, Israel