Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 14:39   #1

Foredeck Dinghy Lashing

I have a hard dink but know most have inflatables. For those who don't use davits, how do you lash your dinghy to your foredeck?

Do you have chocks? How did you make them? Do you have dedicated pad eyes? Or tie to your toe rail? Please don't tell me to use ratchet straps no matter how handy they may seem, otherwise your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 14:47   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Foredeck Dinghy Lashing

Hi, Delancey.

We bonded about 3/4" tall retainers for the aft end of the transom to the cabin top, that Jim made removable chocks for, out of scrap wood and some hard rubber sheet for their bottoms. The foreward end, we lash to the fitting where the baby stay attaches to the deck. Athwartships are two permanently mounted pad eyes (with timber backing plates, it is a timber boat), which we lash the dinghy down to. It is wise to go out in the morning when it is cold, and tighten the lashing when the dinghy has become soft. One usually checks the lashing once a day, because of the expansion and contraction. With a hard dinghy, you'll only have concern about the line getting wet and slipping, but not the other.

Ann
Old 26-03-2017, 21:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Made ' C' shaped chocks out of 3 pieces of wood with the outer pieces taller than center for the dinghy transom. Made a triangular piece the shape of the bow with side pieces glued on to hold the dinghy in place side to side. Lash the dinghy down with line using a truckers hitch to padeyes with backing plates. Sailed to Kona with lno problems. A nice set of SS ratchet straps would really hold the boat in place with the chocks.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 00:41   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Both this boat and the last have and had aluminium toe rails, it was on my would like list, just so handy for things like lashing the dinghy down.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 17:40   #5

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I go from The bow cleats and cross diagonally over the dinghy to cleats placed on the deck for the two spinnaker halyards then two lashings side to side from stanchion bases. I need to make some chocks just haven't gotten there yet. It'll be a lot easier to get the thing aboard once I get my refurbished windlass installed this spring! Ann what are your retainers your speaking of?
Old 30-03-2017, 18:33   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Ratchet straps are actually very good for this, provided you get ones with stainless hardware. There are a few sources online.

I don't use them but know people who do, particularly for securing the dink offshore. My grab rails are wide enough and strong enough that I use them as tie down points, and just use a long length of 8mm line.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, dinghy