Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 20:35   #1

reliable bilge pump and float switch

I am installing a bilge pump,float switch and drain pan to expel water from
a sink and shower.I have read customer reviews on equipment made by
Rule,Attwood and others but still in doubt concerning reliability.They will be installed in a small, hard to get at location so the less attention they
require the better.

Based on your experience which manufacturer would you choose?

Thank you
senzafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 20:54   #2

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Re: reliable bilge pump and float switch

I don't mean to question your plan. Have you considered a more accessible location for the pump connected to the units serviced via hose? Our Beneteau shower sump is connected via hose to our bilge/sump pump located under the galley sink and using the sink drain line. The pump is activated by a waterproof toggle switch located on the vanity, out of the way. Seems to work just fine and is accessible for maintenance.
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:08   #3

Boat: Privilege 435

I've spent many years replacing cheap bilge pumps and float switches on my boats. I've never found a centrifugal pump that lasts when used in a shower sump application, even the kits sold in a ready-made enclosure. Body hair and soap scum kills the pump and float switch very quickly. My advice would be to use a gulper pump with an electronic switch. I've got a Whale 220 gulper with an Atwood S3 electronic bilge switch. The gulper pump gets rid of everything and you just need the occasional wipe of the electronic sensors.

Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:17   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a diaphragm pump mounted in an accessible location and a hose leading to the sump, with an Ultra switch.
The diaphragm type of pump does not have to be mounted in the sump, and if my sump were hard to get to, I would think hard about just having a switch in the shower that turned the pump on and off, so you never have to worry about a float switch, and the noise the pump will make will mean you won't likely forget to turn it off.

Now that I have read the whole thread, what gts1544 said
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:20   #5

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

I have a rule drain box, one of the all in ones. Its been in the boat for 10 years and it is working fine. It takes the shower and sink in the heads. Its at the lowest point in the bilgecoverered over with a floor, decking and carpet so I dont find it easy to get to either.

I have never had a problem with it but two points, if the bilge fills which happened once it acted as an extra bilge pump and filled the grey tank which I then emptied with a gulper.

We also find we dont use the shower much. We tend to marina hop as my other half is a glass surface sailor. So we use thier facilities and I dont fancy a shower on passage at 20 degrees.

Otherwise I would go for the previous suggestion of a gulper and switch. Keep it simple and a gulper will pump virtually anything.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I gave up on float switches. All the different ones I have tried, and it has been many, eventually failed.

I use the automated ones. They are not perfect but they are much better.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
I don't mean to question your plan. Have you considered a more accessible location for the pump connected to the units serviced via hose? Our Beneteau shower sump is connected via hose to our bilge/sump pump located under the galley sink and using the sink drain line. The pump is activated by a waterproof toggle switch located on the vanity, out of the way. Seems to work just fine and is accessible for maintenance.
^^^^ I prefer this solution also. Much better than those little trays with mini toy pumps. Put in one of those mini plastic sea strainers between the sump and pump though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:39   #8

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by senzafine View Post
Rule,Attwood and others but still in doubt concerning reliability.They will be installed in a small, hard to get at location so the less attention they
require the better.

Thank you
As others have mentioned, Whale Gulper pumps were designed for this purpose.

I am preparing to remove our shower sumps [with submerged bilge pumps and float switches] and replace them with the Whale IC kit.

It includes a Gulper pump and a manifold you plumb the drains to that incorporates an electronic sensor that turns on the pump automatically.

Whale also makes a shower pan specific drain with sensor which you can use instead of their manifold.

No sump to install; just plumb the drain lines to the manifold and put the pump where it is convenient.

I'm planning to plumb the sinks and showers in both heads- and the galley sink- to the same manifold, obviating 3 through-hulls and 2 shower drain sumps in the process with one Whale Grey IC.

In case this is of interest.

Cheers! Bill
Old 24-02-2017, 10:20   #9

The two best pieces of advice I can give is:
1) Look for an old Mercury switch, an used Mercury is always better than a new mechanical or electronic.
2) Use a diaphragm pump and clean it once a year.
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 10:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have a diaphragm pump mounted in an accessible location and a hose leading to the sump, with an Ultra switch.
The diaphragm type of pump does not have to be mounted in the sump, and if my sump were hard to get to, I would think hard about just having a switch in the shower that turned the pump on and off, so you never have to worry about a float switch, and the noise the pump will make will mean you won't likely forget to turn it off.

Now that I have read the whole thread, what gts1544 said
Remote diaphragm with an Ultra switch is my exact setup and so far it's bulletproof.

Also remote diaphragm for the shower sump pump and again, no problems so far.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 11:52   #11

I was very skeptical that this new Gulper shower pump would work but it's been trouble free for over three years (haven't even had to clean the contacts). Note that it will accept one or two input hoses.

I think the reason it works so well is that the pump completely empties the little sensor chamber rather than leaving standing water.

Whale Marine - Products
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 11:57   #12

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

While others have great comments about types of switches and pumps, be sure that your wiring is up to snuff and make sure your hoses are not too small.

Bad wiring and the resultant voltage irregularities can kill any pump. Many pump experts have stated that it is often not the pump that is the real issue but bad electrical circuits that will dramatically shorten the pump's life.

Also, I have been told by some that if the hose is too small, or if they use a reducer to fit a smaller hose, it can cause the pump to suffer too much resistance, thus shortening the life of the pump.

Finally, use liquid soap and avoid bar soap if possible. Bar soap will eventually solidify again. Liquid soap will stay as a liquid and not plug things over time.

Good luck with your project.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 13:23   #13

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by senzafine View Post
require the better.

Thank you
My B42 has a pump in the aft shower but not in the forward one. We installed a shower forward and sponge the water out. Takes little time and also can wipe down the walls.
Simple and effective.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 13:45   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Remote diaphragm with an Ultra switch is my exact setup and so far it's bulletproof.

Also remote diaphragm for the shower sump pump and again, no problems so far.
Wanted to add, for emergency bilge pumps I have a pair of Rule 4000s. Real world should pump close to 60 gallons per minute each. I wouldn't recommend the Rule for daily use, they seem to live a short life, but mounted high in a dry part of the bilge they should last and can keep up with a pretty good sized leak.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 16:27   #15

Boat: Beneteau 423
Thumbs up Re: reliable bilge pump and float switch

Ive been using a regular bilge pump in my sink/shower sump for 2 years now. Have a small (12 inch by 12 inch) pot that all the 3/4 inch hoses flow into. (Two heads, each with sink and shower) I instruct everyone when they shower to use lots of water. We're on Georgian Bay so we take water directly from the lake. Have never had a problem with pluggage due to soap scum or hair.
If I were on the ocean it would be different I guess since fresh water is harder to come by.
Gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, loa