Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 09:20   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Voyage catamarans

That's one of the rare cats that I haven't sailed not even seen for real.

I guess they manufacture a few boats but if anybody has ever salied her, seen her in boat shows or has an idea, I would appreciate if they can share their views on performance, durability, construction, finish quality, etc.. of the boat.

Thank you

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Voyage catamarans

Voyage Yachts | Buy Own Purchase Best Luxury Sailboat Catamaran Yacht

The all electric dream boat..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:35   #3

Boat: wanting a cat
Re: Voyage catamarans

CF member Boneboy has a new one in the Caribbean...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 15:22   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I spent two weeks on one going from Sarasota, FL to Georgetown, Exumas. Friend of mine owned it, a Voyage 500. Built very stout. Sailed better than lagoon and other condo cats. Met two couple in Bahamas that had a 430 and 470, I think. They were definately Voyage, but I may have model wrong. Anyway the longer cat had completed a circumnavigation by a couple. My opinion is nice boats for the money.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:32   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I spent two weeks on one going from Sarasota, FL to Georgetown, Exumas. Friend of mine owned it, a Voyage 500. Built very stout. Sailed better than lagoon and other condo cats. Met two couple in Bahamas that had a 430 and 470, I think. They were definately Voyage, but I may have model wrong. Anyway the longer cat had completed a circumnavigation by a couple. My opinion is nice boats for the money.
It doesn't come very cheap... According to their configuration available in their web site a 48 ft comes to 621.000 USD without genset and A/C and with the minimum required accesories/electronic. With these included around 660.000 USD or app. 600.000 €. It seems also that they keep their second hand value pretty well according the numbers in yachtworld..
Comparing pricewise to other options, it looks parity to FP .(mid point between Helia 44 and Saba 50, exactliy as the size is) Her performance should be better than those althought the light displacement seems too good to be true; 1.000 kg lighter than Catana 47 carbon infusion with 1 ft longer hulls...It's also 10-15% cheaper than Catana 47. It's parity to Nautitech 482 which is not manufactured anymore. New Bavaria 47 and FP 46 will probably be slightly above her price range.

Finally, they seem to be supplying mostly charter companies and with limited output. I would have tought that charter industry would be more leaned towards comfy cats rather than performance oriented ones; strange..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 12-02-2017, 03:53   #6

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I think Voyage actually runs their own charter program rather than supplying the charter industry. At least the Voyage charters in the BVI are company run. The downing family owns it all according to the bios on the website.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:59   #7

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

A Catana with daggerboards is going to be much more performance than a Voyage. He was second owner, I think purchased thru charter company.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:11   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive sailed Voyage and a few of the variations (Mayonet, etc....are all basically the same design with different brand names).

Good boats in general.

Low bridgedeck, esp aft...which is convenient, but could contribute to slamming.

Cockpit ingress/egress a bit awkward.

The boom crane dinghy lift I want to like because its clever, but I dont. Could be done single handed, but much easier with crew to tend lines and align dink on cradle. Davits are much more straight forward to use.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:49   #9

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

We have had a 430 for 16 years, original owners. We like the lack of vinyl, or fabric, or wood interior, for ease of cleaning, but it does make for a sterile appearance for some people.

It is low, so does slam more than higher bridgedecks, but ribs on underside probably help break up the wave. Low height should mean less windage.

I like the helm position as opposed to 2 helms in the sterns.

Davits are easier to use, but the derrick is useful for hoisting other heavy stuff--say when on the hard, or even lifting an engine or genset and swinging over to dock. Also, when in position on the "dive platform" (which is nice in itself when at anchor, or the dock) the dinghy is much easier to keep under cover, and is more secure in rough water (doesn't swing around).

I like the fact that Voyage uses their own boats in their own charter flee. Pretty good feedback about any equipment not up to the task, or any production issues. This benefits the private owner.

And yes, I think the displacements published are on the very light side, at least they used to be. Not sure about current models.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:59   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
It is low, so does slam more than higher bridgedecks, but ribs on underside probably help break up the wave. Low height should mean less windage.
Thx Ggray,

I understand that they don't do anymore the 430 which is strange, that's the biggest segment of the market..

The way it looks from the pics I have seen, the bridge deck clearance seems to be OK. Is it possible that they have changed that in recent models ?

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 12-02-2017, 13:50   #11

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

They did make the hulls a bit fatter, and had production supervisor who I believe tried to save weight in construction.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 16:03   #12

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

Does any one know, how does the sailing performance of a Voyage 43 compare with a Leopard 43? I'm down to those two boats. Leaning toward a Leopard due to it having direct drive, not sail drives, and rare island beds in the forward staterooms, I'm getting too old to crawl in and out of bed! Boat weights and rigs are seem similar.
thanks, Jeff
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 16:36   #13

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

There must be at least 20 of them in Soper's Hole in Tortola, BVI

We walked around on a Voyage 520 last week in Tortola.

Looks very well built from a walk through.

Did not care for the step down into the saloon sliding door. We really like one main level with no steps.

Love the Boom Stinger for pulling up the dinghy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyage 520.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	141362  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 17:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I think Voyage actually runs their own charter program rather than supplying the charter industry. At least the Voyage charters in the BVI are company run. The downing family owns it all according to the bios on the website.
I know the Downing family and their Voyages quite well. The boats are very well built, and the newer ones do have headliners to break up the gelcoat interiors....very attractive but still very functional and easy to clean. Very nice galleys that are not an afterthought, at all. The family takes great care with just about everything. Very nice gelcoat, too.

In answer to someone's question, the 43 became a 44, but I am not sure if they still build it. Their latest model is the 48, which has become quite popular although I haven't sailed it. The boats sail quite well but are not short on comfort. Like many brands, they have evolved over time, and become more comfortable without looking like the floating condos of some of the other brands. The bridgedecks have gotten higher and it's quite noticeable with the new 48.

Personally, I am not much of a fan of the boom extension to raise the dinghy, but the dinghy is very secure when it has been raised onto the aft platform.

In answer to another question the L43 and Voyage 44 take very different approaches. Personally, I would take the L43, which is a very good boat, but I would also be very happy with a Voyage of that vintage and even more so with a new one. Probably better built than some of the latest Leopards, the Voyages and the charter company are well respected her in the BVI.

Hope this helps a bit.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 21:25   #15

Boat: Lagoon 400

I agree with Contrail, everything equal I would go for the L43. I've sailed both and they both sail average and about the same. While the older Voyage are great boats I like what they've done with the newer and larger models. In comparison the Norsman 43 is a little better constructed but I think the L43 is more livable. Whichever one is your personal preference and in better shape. Cheers!
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran