Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 17:08   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380S2
Lagoon 380 or Similar - Florida/Caribbean

Hi All,

I am a kiwi with a ticket booked for Florida on March 3. I am on a mission to purchase a Lagoon 380 or similar in Florida or the Caribbean. Also open to other mainstream production catamaran model options if they fit the parameters below.

Hoping to hit it lucky and find a Lagoon 380 owner looking to sell privately and save on broker fees. I have looked extensively on Yachtworld and are very surprised at the relatively few number available for sale. Especially after disregarding the ex-charter ones.

A few important parameters for my search
- Lagoon 380 or similar
- No older than 2003
- Ready to cruise (no major work needed)
- Budget max $170,000 USD
- 3 or 4 cabin
- 2 Head (bathroom) max. No 4X head models please
- Engines under 3500 hours

Regards

Shane
(Auckland, NZ)
Shane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:49   #2

Re: Lagoon 380 or Similar - Florida/Caribbean

I have just put my Fontaine Pajot Athena 38 up for sale in the Caribbean
Good spec ready to go cruising
135,000usd but it's a 1998 boat
+1 868 340 1619 Ian
FP38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP38 View Post
I have just put my Fontaine Pajot Athena 38 up for sale in the Caribbean
Good spec ready to go cruising
135,000usd but it's a 1998 boat
+1 868 340 1619 Ian
Ian,

Thanks for posting. Your boat is older than I would like but can you point me to a link with the specs and photos and I will take a look. I'd be silly to totally disregard due to one parameter.

Or you could email the specs and photos to shanetw at yahoo dot com (sorry for the anti spam email code).

Shane
Old 10-02-2017, 16:03   #4

Thanks to the few people whom emailed me with specs and photos of their boats.

Still could do with a few more boat options
Old 10-02-2017, 16:43   #5

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

I bet you can get a 2010 Leopard 38 from Sunsail Moorings for that money. Check them out in Yachtworld and make an offer.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 16:44   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

There is an Island Spirit for sale here in St. Martin... The IS has a much nicer living space than the 380 and will outsail it (hands down). I can't comment on the condition inside or mechanically, but I did dinghy by and it looked in fair exterior shape. The price is certainly right..

2000 Fortuna Island Spirit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If you were really interested I could contact the owner and do a walk around for you (taking pics).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
I bet you can get a 2010 Leopard 38 from Sunsail Moorings for that money. Check them out in Yachtworld and make an offer.
Thank you for pointing me to that link. Not sure why, I never considered a Leopard previously. My perception was they all had very shallow drafts and therefore slammed horribly on open oceans. But I see the Leopard 38 draft is a tad over 1 metre.

The budget of these boats would leave me very little for upgrades which is my big concern about stretching the budget from the get go on an expensive upfront purchase.

Shane
Old 11-02-2017, 11:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
There is an Island Spirit for sale here in St. Martin... The IS has a much nicer living space than the 380 and will outsail it (hands down). I can't comment on the condition inside or mechanically, but I did dinghy by and it looked in fair exterior shape. The price is certainly right..

2000 Fortuna Island Spirit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If you were really interested I could contact the owner and do a walk around for you (taking pics).

That kind of boat is not well known down here in New Zealand and would be more difficult to sell when it comes time compared to the mainstream French boats. But thanks for thinking of me
Old 11-02-2017, 12:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane D View Post
My perception was they all had very shallow drafts and therefore slammed horribly on open oceans. But I see the Leopard 38 draft is a tad over 1 metre.

Shane
What is that perception based on?
Slamming in cats has nothing to do with draft.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:26   #10

Quote:

The budget of these boats would leave me very little for upgrades which is my big concern about stretching the budget from the get go on an expensive upfront purchase.

Shane
If you buy from Moorings (or third hand from someone who bought from Moorings) you will get all the upgrades you really need, such as good anchors with 100+ feet of 10mm chain, solar panels, etc.

Also check out boats listed by BVI Yacht Sales; they are known for only taking listings when the owner is willing to "price to sell".
Old 12-02-2017, 10:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
What is that perception based on?
Slamming in cats has nothing to do with draft.
I would love to be educated if I am wrong. Is there are link or thread on this forum you could point me to?
Old 12-02-2017, 16:25   #12

Quote:
I would love to be educated if I am wrong. Is there are link or thread on this forum you could point me to?
Google is your friend. Try googling with the three words: "leopard" "slamming" and "bridgedeck" and you will find CF threads and other stuff. Note that the Leopard 39 and the 2nd gen Leopard 38 are newer designs with more clearance that should not slam like the older 38, 42, etc.

All that said, if a cat is slamming it means you are going the wrong way. As Brits say, gentlemen do not sail upwind, let alone in a cat without daggerboards.

Good luck.
Old 14-02-2017, 04:48   #13

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
That kind of boat is not well known down here in New Zealand and would be more difficult to sell when it comes time compared to the mainstream French boats. But thanks for thinking of me
I would disagree.. I know a couple of them that sailed that way and sold very well in Austrailia and the South Pacific.. If you are going to stick with mainstream boats and want to cross the Pacific, you will most likely need to increase your budget. Unless you want to go on a very plain boat with minimal systems or one that is quite old (like a Privilege 38). I'm guessing you will need $200,000usd after upgrades. I'm basing that on my 3 years of research and now 1 year of living aboard. Also be very careful with a bareboat purchase. There are good deals to be had, but there are some real stinkers out there to. Just the other week an excharter boat (lagoon 380) had its motor wiring catch fire down here. It was due to bodged repairs by the charter company. That wouldn't be cool on a Pacific crossing.

As to slamming.. I have sailed on all the boats mentioned here. They ALL slam in certain instances. Privilege's seem to slam the least. FPs, Lagoons and Leopards all slam about the same.

Finally, you need to be carefull following advice on CF. Owners are very protective about thier boats and often information is skewed to thier view. Sometimes people who have never owned one or sailed on one will try and give you advice. Beware.

Anyway.. Have fun and I hope to see you out here.. If you see a boat in St. Martin or BVI and want me to take some pics, then just PM me!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 05:40   #14

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Shane, if a boat slams, it's because of limited "bridge deck clearance", which is basically the distance the bridge deck sits above water. The "slam" is the wave hitting the bottom of the bridge deck.

The "draft" of a vessel has only to do with how much water is required for it to float.

So you see slamming has nothing to do with draft.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 10:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Shane, if a boat slams, it's because of limited "bridge deck clearance", which is basically the distance the bridge deck sits above water. The "slam" is the wave hitting the bottom of the bridge deck.

The "draft" of a vessel has only to do with how much water is required for it to float.

So you see slamming has nothing to do with draft.
Whoops now I feel silly. I actually meant the distance between the water and the underside of the boat...I just was silly enough to think that was called the draft.

Thank you for correcting me. Good high bridgedeck clearance is what I need

Shane

Tags
Caribbean, florida, lagoon, lagoon 380, rib