Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 17:27   #1

Boat: Santana 37
Switching from Cockpit to Cabin Top Mainsheet System

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are currently refurbishing a 1972 Santana 37. It was used exclusively as a race boat (13 winches and 13 bags of sails). We are converting it to cruising and in order to have a spray dodger installed, I need to move the mainsheet / traveller from the forward end of the cockpit to the cabin top.

I purchased a heavy duty mainsheet / traveller system for Minney's in Newport Beach. It has the curved track and has a hardwood block at each end where it is through-bolted to the cabin top.

My question is how do I determine if the mid-section traveller portion that isn't attached to the cabin top (it curves over the hatch coaming) is strong enough for the upward pull of the main?

Is there any calculation of the upward pull force exerted by a mainsail when you tighten it down (ie. sailing close hauled in a stiff breeze)?
sailscubasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 18:25   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: Switching from Cockpit to Cabin Top Mainsheet System

Try this: Harken
Hopefully I got the link right.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 20:21   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Switching from Cockpit to Cabin Top Mainsheet System

I'd be more worried about breaking the boom than the traveler. The boom section was chosen to deal with loads at a certain point. You are moving the loads away from that points and the bending moment on the boom will increase. Loads on your gooseneck may increase too.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, cockpit