Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 05:58   #1

Boat: Westsail 32', 205' Barque
Greetings from Texas!

Well, I've been a lurker here for a while now, so I figured I'd finally say hello.

A bit about myself:

I'm 29 years old, single, no kids, in a small country town about an hour from Houston. I've grown up with fishing and boating pretty much since day one. Having lived most of my life very near the coast, I find myself drawn there ever more and more. I am at peace when I'm on the water. Years ago, I had the wonderful opportunity to sail with some retired naval officers at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, and it was one of the most unforgettable experiences of my life...

I discovered cruising about five years ago, but like many others, I put the dream on the back burner as life "got in the way". A few weeks ago, an old friend from high school (also obsessed with cruising), told me about a mutual acquaintance - Home - The Nomad Trip - and after reading his blog I was re-inspired to pursue the dream.

So here I am, learning all that I can learn. Reading books, listening to podcasts, and perusing all of your wonderful experiences and insight. Sailing lessons in Kemah are in my very near future, and hopefully crew or charter in the next year or two. Having my own boat still seems like a far-fetched goal, but it is a dream that I have to keep alive. I figure that as long as I'm actively doing something, whether it be lessons, reading, or practicing knots, I am making strides to achieving that goal.

Prost!

- RB
rb1685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Greetings from Texas!

Howdy!
I am new here too, but "Welcome Aboard!"

Good luck on pursuing your dream (we all have them).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

RB

Welcome to CF!

Tons of opportunity down your way to wet your feet...

1. Join a sailing club
2. Post a message of wanting to crew
3. Buy something now... ANYTHING... to start having fun and learning... Fat wallet not required... Tons of 20'ish boats for $1000 or under

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 16:29   #4

Texas Mariners Cruisers Association is a good group to join even if you don't have a boat right now. I also joined as an internet member the US Power Squadrons. They offer a lot of great Seamanship courses, and being a member will cut the price of the courses down more than half. Also, Sackett Sailing School (found in the Leisure Learning Catalogs) is ASA Certified and offers a great Beginning sailing course. Leisure Learning catalogs can be found in those racks in front of stores in Houston next to the Rent Me and Greensheet free catalogs. Also, a Google search will pull up all of the websites for the things that I've mentioned. Amazon is a great place to start up your sailor's library. Annapolis Book of Seamanship is a nice, comprehensive book about sailing.
I was where you are about ten years ago. The only thing that knew about sailing was the fact that I knew that I wanted to try sailing. With patience, perseverance, and persistence, I became a sailor --on a crawfish not a caviar budget. You can too. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sistasailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 17:12   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good day, RB,

Welcome aboard.

Probably the cheapest way to get into sailing is to get a 2nd hand sailing dinghy, and start fooling around with it. A little boat like that is quite responsive, it'll toss you in the water if you mess up, and experience is a good teacher. On the other hand, you might find that it was just a dream, and doesn't suit you at this time in your life, but you'll lose little from the effort, either way.

Another thing we're always suggesting to newbies is to volunteer at club races. Learn from the skippers. If you're reliable, you'll soon find yourself in demand.

Ann
Old 11-08-2014, 03:05   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RB.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy!
I am new here too, but "Welcome Aboard!"

Good luck on pursuing your dream (we all have them).
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
RB

Welcome to CF!

Tons of opportunity down your way to wet your feet...

1. Join a sailing club
2. Post a message of wanting to crew
3. Buy something now... ANYTHING... to start having fun and learning... Fat wallet not required... Tons of 20'ish boats for $1000 or under
I'm looking into clubs around the area. Like I said, Kemah seems to be the place to be. Matagorda is my "home base" on the coast, so I may end up keeping a boat there. Slips are rather expensive, though. I don't have a truck (yet), but a trailer-able boat is definitely in the near future. Probably early next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistasailor3 View Post
Texas Mariners Cruisers Association is a good group to join even if you don't have a boat right now. I also joined as an internet member the US Power Squadrons. They offer a lot of great Seamanship courses, and being a member will cut the price of the courses down more than half. Also, Sackett Sailing School (found in the Leisure Learning Catalogs) is ASA Certified and offers a great Beginning sailing course. Leisure Learning catalogs can be found in those racks in front of stores in Houston next to the Rent Me and Greensheet free catalogs. Also, a Google search will pull up all of the websites for the things that I've mentioned. Amazon is a great place to start up your sailor's library. Annapolis Book of Seamanship is a nice, comprehensive book about sailing.
I was where you are about ten years ago. The only thing that knew about sailing was the fact that I knew that I wanted to try sailing. With patience, perseverance, and persistence, I became a sailor --on a crawfish not a caviar budget. You can too. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks for all your advice! I'll check out your suggestions. I've already ordered the Annapolis Book of Seamanship. It should be here next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Good day, RB,

Welcome aboard.

Probably the cheapest way to get into sailing is to get a 2nd hand sailing dinghy, and start fooling around with it. A little boat like that is quite responsive, it'll toss you in the water if you mess up, and experience is a good teacher. On the other hand, you might find that it was just a dream, and doesn't suit you at this time in your life, but you'll lose little from the effort, either way.

Another thing we're always suggesting to newbies is to volunteer at club races. Learn from the skippers. If you're reliable, you'll soon find yourself in demand.

Ann
Yeah I'm already looking around on Craigslist. I'm amazed at how many affordable boats there are. I live about 45 minutes from a good sized lake, so weekend practice is very doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RB.
Thank you!
Old 11-09-2014, 17:18   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and it sounds like you're on the right track with the lessons.
Old 13-09-2014, 19:49   #9

rb, I'm new to sailing, and I went to Sacketts Sailing on Clear Lake and took ASA101. I would highly recommend them if you decide to take a class. They are one of the most reasonably priced schools in the area and and they are great people to deal with. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you out there.
Old 17-09-2014, 06:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabajoe View Post
rb, I'm new to sailing, and I went to Sacketts Sailing on Clear Lake and took ASA101. I would highly recommend them if you decide to take a class. They are one of the most reasonably priced schools in the area and and they are great people to deal with. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you out there.
Thanks! That's exactly the school I was looking at.
Old 17-09-2014, 06:36   #11

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Welcome RB....great people and good advice here on CF...best of luck in your future
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 06:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
Welcome RB....great people and good advice here on CF...best of luck in your future
Thanks! I just got back from a week in the USVI, which I was hoping would sate my appetite for the cruising life. But alas, the trip only fueled it.
Old 17-09-2014, 08:52   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1685 View Post
Thanks! I just got back from a week in the USVI, which I was hoping would sate my appetite for the cruising life. But alas, the trip only fueled it.
HA HA !!! .... Yer a junkie just like the rest of us man... Denial is useless...

You've successfully completed step 1.0... Admitting your addiction...

Step 2.0 = Get a $300-$500-$1000 boat.... Car toppable-trailerable...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 06:44   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Welcome. Not the most picturesque area but there's lots of sailing to be had around here.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 06:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
Welcome. Not the most picturesque area but there's lots of sailing to be had around here.
Hahaha. Tell me about it! I've grown up fishing on Matagorda Bay, so I've gotten used to the "Lipton Water" as we call it. I cannot wait to get behind the helm of my own boat though, even it is just a weekend cruise around Galveston

Tags
texas