Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 17:40   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

It may depend on the time when the particular Hunter was built, and what kinds of beefing up have been done. El Pinguino has reported seeing some in Chile.

Here's another thread that may be of interest: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...el-196820.html

Ann
Old 30-01-2018, 17:47   #47

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
Speaking of masts, are the masts in boats of this class stepped to the keel or to the deckhouse? I see the posts (often in a wood casing), but is that just a column taking the mast's downforce to the keel, or is a unitary extension of the mast?

What “class” of boat are you talking about?

There are keel stepped masts and deck stepped masts. Deck stepped almost always has a wood or metal compression post beneath the deck step to transfer load to the keel. Neither design makes a boat any more “bluewater” than the other.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 21:42   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
What “class” of boat are you talking about?

There are keel stepped masts and deck stepped masts. Deck stepped almost always has a wood or metal compression post beneath the deck step to transfer load to the keel. Neither design makes a boat any more “bluewater” than the other.
As the subject of the thread deals with "Hunter" vessels, that is the class I refer to. Thank you for your response.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 22:28   #49

I once used this analogy with someone asking me about sailing on Hunters (I raced on one, I bet we took first for most fun) and another in earshot totally agreed.

Compared to an offshore performance racer/cruiser sailing on that Hunter was like riding in a van through rolling, winding hills in bad weather vs cruising along in a 7 series BMW on the freeway.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 22:57   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
I once used this analogy with someone asking me about sailing on Hunters (I raced on one, I bet we took first for most fun) and another in earshot totally agreed.

Compared to an offshore performance racer/cruiser sailing on that Hunter was like riding in a van through rolling, winding hills in bad weather vs cruising along in a 7 series BMW on the freeway.
How do you see Catalinas in the 35 to 38' range for a Ca. to Hi transit, single-handed. As I recall, from day-sailing them 20 years ago out of MDR, CA, they are light and tall - good for light airs. Do you think they are substantial enough to make the passage.
Old 31-01-2018, 02:56   #51

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
It may depend on the time when the particular Hunter was built, and what kinds of beefing up have been done. El Pinguino has reported seeing some in Chile.

Here's another thread that may be of interest: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...el-196820.html

Ann
A friend has a Hunter in Montt but I have never enquired how she got there.... she is 30 something foot... he only sails her locally.

This blog is probably worth reading ... from Vancouver until they sell her in Florida.. Sequitur
Old 31-01-2018, 03:15   #52

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Your showing your age my friend like you I find the deeply swept spreaders to be a super pain in the butt when sailing down wind, you can never get your main out properly. I know it's cheaper to build them this way but for typical ocean cruisers the straight spreaders work best.
gentlemen, thank you for your highly valued opinion! combing the 2ndhand market so far I have not come across a boat younger than 10years with in-line spreaders (discussion just yesterday with the lady: "rather more expensive & younger versus older & cheaper" and "in-line spreaders" I had to add...
never actually having sailed swept-back spreaders myself I am expecting exactly that: "... a super pain in the butt when sailing down wind..."
unfortunately "the market" is going to take care of my objections...
(crap! I hoped somebody would write: "great, particularly downwind!")
Old 31-01-2018, 03:23   #53

Boat: no boat any more

"...getting a marina birth..." - nearly had one in '90 but made it from Apooiti to raiatea hospital in time!
Old 31-01-2018, 07:48   #54

If I we're in your shoes I would be spending my time researching about singlehanders who raced their boats in the Transpac. That should give you better direction.

Quote:
How do you see Catalinas in the 35 to 38' range for a Ca. to Hi transit, single-handed. As I recall, from day-sailing them 20 years ago out of MDR, CA, they are light and tall - good for light airs. Do you think they are substantial enough to make the passage.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:46   #55

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

I have been sailing and owning hunters along with several other makes for over 30 years without any build quality issues, models from 1980 to 2008. They are production boats that check many of the boxes cruisers have . There are many high end boats that on a round the world cruise would be superior for much more $. However as said earlier their are many people doing this with production boats. The market place is the judge of what is quality/function and weither you are looking at builder a or b if the price is the same all things being equal the market perceives the boats being equal. I believe the run from central California to Hawaii is considered a "milk run" for much of the year and most any vessel over 24' can complete safely .
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:52   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

So.. we know they can and have done it.. tough conditions and good.. new question.!!!
Skipper.. Bluewater or not..???
Very often its the skipper who breaks the boat.. then blames the marque.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 10:14   #57

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

First of all you seem to be new at all this so while I wholeheartedly agree with Moondancer, you could save yourself a lot of headaches and money by crewing for somebody doing a crossing. By the way. Tgere are many instances of new production boats having serious problems with their rig. That is why they are classed as Coastal Cruisers as opposed to Water boats">Blue Water boats.
There are also companies like Amanda and John Neil whom you can pay to do a crossing. Last thing...Take a good look at the rig of a Blue Water boat. Then take a look at a production Coastal Cruiser. My Southern Cross 39 has the same size rig as a 47’ Catalina only More of it.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 10:35   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
If I we're in your shoes I would be spending my time researching about singlehanders who raced their boats in the Transpac. That should give you better direction.
So you have no opinion on Catalina's.
Old 31-01-2018, 10:36   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
First of all you seem to be new at all this so while I wholeheartedly agree with Moondancer, you could save yourself a lot of headaches and money by crewing for somebody doing a crossing. By the way. Tgere are many instances of new production boats having serious problems with their rig. That is why they are classed as Coastal Cruisers as opposed to Blue Water boats.
There are also companies like Amanda and John Neil whom you can pay to do a crossing. Last thing...Take a good look at the rig of a Blue Water boat. Then take a look at a production Coastal Cruiser. My Southern Cross 39 has the same size rig as a 47’ Catalina only More of it.
Thanks.
Old 31-01-2018, 10:43   #60

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Boats, please, not me. Not interested in your other opinions.

Here’s the rub though. Most of what is “Bluewater” in a boat is dependent on the person. An otherwise well found boat in the wrong hands can require rescue in a fresh gale. A highly skilled or or tenacious individual can take a hunk of trash across with knowledge and grit.

So really the “you” quotient is inseparable from the equation.

See this story as an example

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the.../2003/may/23/3
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, water