Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2012, 10:17   #1

Boat: 1995 Seaward 25
Matagorda Bay, Texas

Hello all,

I have been traditionally a lake sailor, but am looking to broaden horizons and keep my Seaward 25 somewhere in Matagorda Bay. I am deciding between Plalacios or Port Lavaca. Any suggestions on which to choose? I would also love any insight on places to sail in the bay.
BuddySWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 16:23   #2

Re: Matagorda Bay, Texas

We stayed in Palacios, TX (serendipity marina) for a couple nights (very reasonable prices). When we sailed in, everyone on their sailboats greeted us and welcome us to Serendipity.

Slips are normally full. Old metal marina, RV spots, quaint, cabins for guests to stay, next to Tres Palacios Bay (good sailing), super friendly people, safe, pool, walking distance to a couple of restaurants (PMR). Kitchen - community room for wintering guests.

Port Lavaca has an updated marina (Nautical Landing), have not been there yet, but (of Jay and Buffy's site) it is very nice. The Harbor Master passed away last year and not sure who the new one is. (Rumored to be more industrial over there, and the cheapest slips.)
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 16:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Dittos on the above. Good sailing.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 07:13   #4

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I would look closely at the charts for both bays, and check against your draft. See which one you will want to spend the most time in, and find a marina close by.

I almost bought a seaward with a shoal keel, but I could never get ahold of the owner.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 07:38   #5

Boat: 1995 Seaward 25

Did you find any favorite destinations while sailing out of Palacios Sunnyside?
BuddySWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 11:40   #6

We tied up a couple of nights at Army Hole at the old Matagorda State Park (where the ferry used to go) (no power, bathrooms, or water), great fishing and lots of wildlife, you could easily fit into one of the free slips there. You probably have a shallow enough draft to stay in Port O'connor (Inn at Clarks). We saw tons of baby dolphins in the ICW of Port O'Connor.

Check out on our blog, there is a slide show under Spring 2011 Trip that shows Matagorda Island and the beach (dirty, 3 mile hike or bike ride, plus the cool lighthouse).

Have fun. Great Breeze coming off the Gulf.
Old 20-01-2012, 07:45   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Had a boat in palacious marina, liked the people and the town. Agree with all above but I would add that I would never ride out a hurricane at serendipity marina, the docks are old, cleats are not trustworthy, and any decent storm surge will carry the docks over the pilings. BUT, there are fantastic well developed hurricane holes in palacious because of a huge shrimping industry. If I were to keep my boat at serendipity, I would have a plan in place to get my boat out of the water on a trailer headed inland a bit, or move to a hurricane hole.
Hope that helps,
Erika
Old 27-11-2013, 06:51   #8

Reviving this thread -- I'm in the process of buying a boat and was planning on keeping it at Palacios even though I live in Houston. I have visited Serendipity Marina at Palacios. I don't want a marina that can't ride out a typical hurricane. What are the best marinas on Matagorda Bay and environs for hurricanes? Any views on the Port of Palacios marina? What would it be like keeping it at Matagorda (which I am told is a good marina) at least during prime hurricane season, and coming across the river (obviously not ideal)? I understand that a big hurricane is going to be a big problem anywhere, including the best marinas in the Houston area. The boat I am buying is not trailerable, by the way. Thanks. Gary
Gary K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 21:40   #9

Gary,
If you are worried about hurricanes, then it sounds like Matagorda Municipal Harbor may be your best bet. They have newer (2011) floating slips, a few close restaurants, fish markets, and stores close by and a few liveaboards plus the harbormaster lives right there. If your boat is less than 6 feet in the water, then you can make it down the man-made Colorado River Bypass (east of the locks) to the Gulf, beware of shoaling in at the Gulf.

We loved visiting Serendipity. The people were extremely friendly, and remember that you can always move your boat come hurricane season. Which is something that we are talking about right now since there are so many slips around Galveston Bay - Clear Lake area that are open since Hurricane Ike.

Tags
texas