Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 11:48   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cat sinks off Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Another shot, this is from CG helicopter, it is amazing how well 12 people with red life jackets on, coolers, debris and big red fenders blend into the seascape
Go back and enlarge the pic in Post #11, and study it! Yes, the skipper did everything right, and remember how hard it is to see people afloat in the water. That is why some of us are always saying how hard it is. It is really true.

Ann
Old 14-10-2013, 14:36   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Yes, I did a MOB drill with a guy I was teaching to sail, actually he was relearning after loosing the ability to walk. Anyways, threw an orange/red type IV over to practice retrieval. Perfect sunny day, calm seas, and we never found the darn thing. Was very humbling for me, who had a good amount of offshore miles, and quite an eye opener for my friend.

Someone posted in another thread, I can't find, a link to a cool safety ribbon streamer thingy, I'm definitely gonna get a couple for our mob and life raft kit.
Old 11-11-2013, 00:13   #18

Nobody died that's what matters the most I guess...
puddingjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 14:19   #19

Boat: Custom Norm Cross 50'ft Trimaran

I'm new to the CF.
I searching all the posts for words like 'sunk', 'panic' and 'newbie' as I am learning a lot from everyone here reading the posts. I've sailed mostly on land bound lakes, our largest is only 5 miles wide by 25 miles long, but plenty deep enough to lose your life and your boat.

I started sailing in the 80's with a 15 ft day sailor. I'm more or less self-taught, but I did get with other sailors early on. They have taught me quite a bit. I learned to reef, anchor and come up to docks without a motor, just my sails and occasionally an oar.

In the 90's I got a 26'f clipper marine and sailed mostly on my home lakes, racing against other cruisers. On occasion we would trailer the boat to Galveston Bay and vacation at Clear Lake, sailing on the Bay.

I guess that got me hooked to sailing as a target for retirement. My plan to to eventually retire on a boat and simply do some coastal and ocean cruising, So, I have started by reading the posts from BlackOak, sv Serenity, and that SAR thread about Ken who was found on the coast of Cuba. I guess, I have more than average sailing/racing experience, as I have repaired my own sails, worked on outboard engines, and re rigged my boat, and am proficient with fiberglass when I needed it. But I am newbie when it comes to preparing for extended open ocean sailing.
I learned here that perhaps a life raft with a well equipped ditch bag would be helpful. Also a SSB and VHF have proven to be very useful. I guess it didn't hurt to have some extra stocked igloo ice-chests for crew and guests to refresh themselves until USCG got there.

I am probably 4 years away from retirement. I will be reading all the articles on the best boat to buy, all the courses available to hone my skills and will be putting myself on crew available lists when I have some vacation time. I guess I am on the side on the group that methodically puts together a plan, rather than simply putting my boat in at Galveston and heading out to the Caribbean.

Just wanted to introduce myself, and say that I am enjoying this forum, although some of the threads are a long read.
escale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 14:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Yes, I did a MOB drill with a guy I was teaching to sail, actually he was relearning after loosing the ability to walk. Anyways, threw an orange/red type IV over to practice retrieval. Perfect sunny day, calm seas, and we never found the darn thing. Was very humbling for me, who had a good amount of offshore miles, and quite an eye opener for my friend. Someone posted in another thread, I can't find, a link to a cool safety ribbon streamer thingy, I'm definitely gonna get a couple for our mob and life raft kit.
Something like this http://www.amazon.com/XS-Scuba-Safet.../dp/B002GCOPSI could be incredibly helpful for a MOB. Easily clicks to a life jacket and it orally inflated.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:05   #21
cruiser

Why they did not had any life rafts. Boat that size could (and should) easily carry at least two.
gloriax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 20:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by escale View Post
I'm new to the CF.
I searching all the posts for words like 'sunk', 'panic' and 'newbie' as I am learning a lot from everyone here reading the posts. I've sailed mostly on land bound lakes, our largest is only 5 miles wide by 25 miles long, but plenty deep enough to lose your life and your boat.

I started sailing in the 80's with a 15 ft day sailor. I'm more or less self-taught, but I did get with other sailors early on. They have taught me quite a bit. I learned to reef, anchor and come up to docks without a motor, just my sails and occasionally an oar.

In the 90's I got a 26'f clipper marine and sailed mostly on my home lakes, racing against other cruisers. On occasion we would trailer the boat to Galveston Bay and vacation at Clear Lake, sailing on the Bay.

I guess that got me hooked to sailing as a target for retirement. My plan to to eventually retire on a boat and simply do some coastal and ocean cruising, So, I have started by reading the posts from BlackOak, sv Serenity, and that SAR thread about Ken who was found on the coast of Cuba. I guess, I have more than average sailing/racing experience, as I have repaired my own sails, worked on outboard engines, and re rigged my boat, and am proficient with fiberglass when I needed it. But I am newbie when it comes to preparing for extended open ocean sailing.
I learned here that perhaps a life raft with a well equipped ditch bag would be helpful. Also a SSB and VHF have proven to be very useful. I guess it didn't hurt to have some extra stocked igloo ice-chests for crew and guests to refresh themselves until USCG got there.

I am probably 4 years away from retirement. I will be reading all the articles on the best boat to buy, all the courses available to hone my skills and will be putting myself on crew available lists when I have some vacation time. I guess I am on the side on the group that methodically puts together a plan, rather than simply putting my boat in at Galveston and heading out to the Caribbean.

Just wanted to introduce myself, and say that I am enjoying this forum, although some of the threads are a long read.

Welcome aboard have fun on your adventure, hope to see you out there.
Erika
Old 12-11-2013, 20:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriax View Post
Why they did not had any life rafts. Boat that size could (and should) easily carry at least two.
Not sure, guess since they are coastal, and keep good communications equipment, they feel not needed...?

Tags
texas