Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2013, 20:17   #1

Boat: cape dory 31
Texas to carribean

We are outfitting a Cape Dory 31 in Corpus Christi and planing to start cruising in January. Is it a good plan to head south to the Yucatan and cross south of Cuba to the Caribbean?
waltoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 22:06   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Texas to carribean

Sorta depends on where ya want to go !! but the passage past Cuba-Cancun is the best for Mexico, Belize, Jamaica, and justabout anywhere ya want to travel in the Caribe!! We use it from Louisiana when we got South to Isla M to ck in to mexico and start our trips to Panama and Columbia
Old 17-08-2013, 07:18   #3

Boat: Lafitte 44

where do you want to end up?

Why not run over to Key West and around?
Old 17-08-2013, 07:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltoler View Post
We are outfitting a Cape Dory 31 in Corpus Christi and planing to start cruising in January. Is it a good plan to head south to the Yucatan and cross south of Cuba to the Caribbean?
Check your pilot charts for wind and current direction and strength. I've contemplated sailing to Panama from the Gulf Coast, and it will be to windward most of the way. Best to leave from Pensacola and use the ICW getting there. Better angle, at least as far as the west end of Cuba. The farther south you go, say about the same latitude of Grand Cayman, the wind backs (according to the Pilot Chart).

Hopefully youll get some more specific input from folks who've hung a left toward the Caribbean, maybe hugging islands along the way. I suspect there will be lots of motoring and having to pick your days with care.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 08:01   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

To get to eastern Caribbean we went the Florida route, cutting through okeechobee or going by way of the keys. To get to Guatemala and beyond we went the Yucatan way. If you choose this route ( Mexico) get as much easting as you can leaving Corpus. The lure to fall off a few degrees to make better time, or worse yet, trying to cut the butter around the tip of Yucatan, will bit you in the butt. if you dont get your easting and drop too far south you could hit the gulf stream and get stuck in the bay of Campeechee (is a drag, I know). Remember the gulf stream comes up through there and takes a nice hard right, screaming around the tip of the yucatan. You will hit the stream, just try to hit it as late as you can on your Isla M approach.
Many cruisers heading to Yucatan from Texas take a different approach by making two long tacks to get to the straits between Cuba and Mexico. One long tack towards Tampa, then another to the tip of Yucatan. I've never tried it, most cats who don't want to beat ( or cant) do this route. In many ways it can be faster.
Hope that made sense, still haven't had my morning tea!!

Tags
rib, texas