Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2019, 22:00   #1

Sydney Survey needed - anyone recommended?

Hi,

I've had an offer on a boat accepted and so we've now moved to the survey stage. I don't suppose anyone knows a decent, and not overpriced surveyor in the Sydney / Pittwater area. I've started with emailing the usual suspects but most who have got back to me want about AUS$1,000 to survey the boat, plus about $400 to lift her for an hour. Seems a bit steep for 3 or 4 hours work, but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance.
PQDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 22:11   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Sydney Survey needed - anyone recommended?

You didn't mention the size of the boat?

Did you check this crowd out? They quote prices per meter of boat so it will give you a guide anyway

https://boatbuy.com.au/marine-survey...xoCJEUQAvD_BwE
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 22:41   #3

Boat: Transpac 49

Hi,

I used Mark Humphrey about 7yrs ago. He is a very well known Shipwright around Pittwater and based in Mona Vale(?)

He was pretty thorough, took his time and his report was good. Probably could have picked a few more things (all pretty minor), but we are all experts in hindsight. I really can't remember what he charged, but I don't think you'll get any change out of $1K. I would rather pay that, than get a cheaper guy that misses stuff that costs you $20K.

I don't have his mobile anymore, so maybe yellow pages?
Old 24-02-2019, 23:29   #4

I have used Alain Franqueville a couple of times, even flew him to Melbourne for our last survey.

Make sure you are available when he does the survey, he is great value..

Don’t know what he charges, but he was worth it, just don’t use him if you want a quick and dirty job to keep the insurers happy, he is merciless.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 23:49   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
I have used Alain Franqueville a couple of times, even flew him to Melbourne for our last survey.

Make sure you are available when he does the survey, he is great value..

Don’t know what he charges, but he was worth it, just don’t use him if you want a quick and dirty job to keep the insurers happy, he is merciless.
I am pretty sure that this is the guy I used when purchasing my boat, very through and asked many questions regarding my expectations and the suitability of the boat. Spent the best part of a day doing it and I thought he was worth it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 00:47   #6

Hi,

The boat is a 32 footer and is about $20K, thus my reluctance to pay too much for the survey.

Cheers
Old 25-02-2019, 01:03   #7

You are going to have to get used to it, a good survey will save you what it costs.
My last one got me a boats worth of through hulls and seacocks fitted at the expense of the vendor..
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:06   #8

Boat: Farr 1020

Try the Club Marine website for a list of surveyors
The lift and pressure blast is separate. Avoid Q Marine at all costs, try either Sirsi marina or for norther Pittwater, Gonsalves at Palm Beach
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 13:38   #9

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

Peter Lambert from Eastern Seaboard Marine Services (9997 2203) did our boat about 10 years ago - very happy with the survey and his follow up with required repairs found. Based at Mona Vale.
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 16:58   #10

Boat: Farr7500

If you're looking to survey for peace of mind suggest you proceed before purchase.

If surveying for insurance purposes only pm me as you might not need a survey.
Derick Warne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 18:06   #11

Boat: Transpac 49

PDQC,

Based on what you've told us, you could still use the survey to help 'adjust' the final sale price. If you want comprehensive insurance and a good report, you are going to have to pull it out of the water.

I suggest you post a number of photos of the boat (if you have them) since it is essentially under contract, so no-one can buy it from under your nose. There are many people here that have vast experience, and so from a number photos, you can get suggestions on where the surveyor could inspect more closely if you notice s/he is missing the potential problem areas.

$20K is $20K and naturally you would want to ensure that you are not buying a hole in the water....oh wait, any boat is

Cheers,

Bloke
Old 25-02-2019, 21:26   #12

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I contacted about 10 or 12 surveyors and all charged from $22 to $33 per foot with or without a sea trial, with or without slipping. Looks like I'll go the whole hog and get her slipped for a proper inspection next week. It'll set me back about $1,100 all up but it should be worth it for peace of mind and possibly to get a few things fixed before settlement. I'll put any feedback about the group I use here later for anyone else that wants another Sydney Surveyor to consider.

Cheers
Old 26-02-2019, 21:23   #13

Survey for a fibreglass 32 ft yacht in Sydney should cost $640 for an out of water survey. The liftout will depend on yard lifting usually $400 with washdown. If your leaving the boat in Sydney on a marina join the yacht club say Royal Prince Alfred and a liftout at the club is $120 for a quicklift for Survey and you get the same benefits at any other "royal club ". Prices may have moved a bit you can ask me by private message l am a marine surveyor in Sydney on the forum to try and help yachtsmen have safer boating and answer questions around surveying and boating insurance.
.kind regards Rick
Rickalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 15:46   #14

Boat: 32ft Lexcen and 50ft Wilf O'Kell Ketch

I know of a Club Marine approved surveyor that charges $15 per foot. PM me if interested in contact number. Haven't used him yet however seemed like he knew what he was talking about over the phone.
zenith_adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, survey, sydney