Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 16:01   #1
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40
Salvador de Bahia, Brazil: marinas

Any advice on a nice, safe and affordable marina around Salvador de Bahia where to put a cat, as a base where to spend a few months to explore Brazil?
B4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 16:30   #2

Re: Salvador de Bahia, Brazil: marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4A View Post
Any advice on a nice, safe and affordable marina around Salvador de Bahia where to put a cat, as a base where to spend a few months to explore Brazil?
Hi, I live in Brasil (we use it without a Z in portuguese) and I have a bad view on Salvador. It is very touristic but very unsafe too. I have been to Caracas and other supposedly unsafe towns around the planet and Salvador is worse, it makes me uneasy just walking around. That is my take on it.

So if I can suggest, how about Fortaleza or Natal-RN? Bahia, the state of Salvador is beautiful though, if you have a chance, check out "Chapada Diamantina". That place is magical.

However, if you must stay in Salvador, I can ask around if someone knows of a good marina tomorrow.
fernandosmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 16:57   #3
B4A

Thanks,

not necessarily Bahia, it can be a little town along the coast, either north or south of Bahia.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandosmooth View Post
Hi, I live in Brasil (we use it without a Z in portuguese) and I have a bad view on Salvador. It is very touristic but very unsafe too. I have been to Caracas and other supposedly unsafe towns around the planet and Salvador is worse, it makes me uneasy just walking around. That is my take on it.

So if I can suggest, how about Fortaleza or Natal-RN? Bahia, the state of Salvador is beautiful though, if you have a chance, check out "Chapada Diamantina". That place is magical.

However, if you must stay in Salvador, I can ask around if someone knows of a good marina tomorrow.
Old 20-09-2017, 07:30   #4

Boat: Sabre 38

This probably won't be of much help, but I did just spend two weeks in Bahia. Started in Porto Seguro and worked our way down to Caraiva.

I saw a few smaller sailboats (mid 20' being the largest) in Porto Seguro in the river between it and Arraial. But no where else. The rivers just got too shallow. You can walk across most of them at low tide.

Great place to visit. Caraiva is really something else.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 07:40   #5

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

There is a cheap marina right under the elevator (in front of the central market) called "Centro Náutico" that should be able to accommodate a cat your size. Security is a bit of an issue in Salvador, so you might want to pay someone a small fee to watch the boat as you travel inland. If you have plans to head further south (like the coast of Rio and São Paulo), I can recommend a great place to moor where you can tie up and forget about your boat as you travel (also VERY cheap).
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 09:02   #6

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

Having lived there for 4 years... I would unfortunately also recommend you to skip Salvador.

That said, if you really (i mean REALLY) do need to see it, one day will suffice.
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 09:14   #7

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
I recommend Nautico da Bahia, Salvador, Brazil (12 58.3395 S 038 30.9352 W) - we spend almost 4 months there and had absolutely no difficulties. In terms of crime, Salvador is no different from any other big city. We did not encounter any problems or crime - instead we made many friends and found friendly people everywhere. When you get there, ask for Marcello Brochini - he speaks perfect English, is friendly and most helpful - he can also help with all sorts of yacht repairs. There are many local places to sail to and it's safe to leave your yacht to explore elsewhere.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 03:17   #8

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

I totally agree with Revelations (above post).
We spent two seasons cruising the length of Brasil and spent a month in Salvador based in an excellent spot called Bahia Marina . A bit pricey but if you want to travel away from the boat and sleep at night their security is excellent .
South African friends of ours spent time at Pier Salvador in an area known as Ribiera and were very impressed with the owner and what he had to offer . I think he is a lot cheaper .

I would suggest you contact Bahia Marina and ask them for a discounted price based on how long you intend to be there . They offered me 15% without even asking for it .

Regarding Salvador , we had a great time exploring the city along with some wonderful local people . We travelled to and spent time in Chapada Diamantina including their 3 day Jazz & Blues Festival in Vale de Capao . Magic place .

We would suggest you do as you should in any major city , that is be vigilant and aware of your surroundings but don't skip Salvador . For more info and pics on Salvador visit our blog Windward Voyage
Old 21-09-2017, 03:25   #9

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I agree with Allen. Don't skip Salvador. It's not called the "birthplace of Brazil" for nothing. It has a very vibrant and rich culture. Also, the bay of Baia de Todos os Santos is full of wonderful cruising grounds (not just Itaparica). However, security is a concern and one has to be vigilant (sadly...). Another place worth visiting is Camamu and the bay there, where security is not really an issue.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 06:03   #10
B4A

Thank you everyone!

I've ordered Brazil Cruising Guide by Michael Balette, and I am reading through Allan and S/V Revelation blogs. Very informative!
Old 21-09-2017, 07:19   #11

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .

I have sent you a private message asking for your email address to provide the info you are requesting .
Hopefully you will receive it with my email details .
Old 28-11-2017, 07:18   #12

Boat: sadler 32
Send a message via MSN to basile Send a message via Skype™ to basile

Sailing to Salvador da Bahia, in the Nordeste (North East)?

Know it was the original Capital of the country since 1549.
If you want to visit it in a secure and reliable way get in touch with @IvanBahiaGuide.
A Belgian expat (also sailor with several singlehanded transats in his book) living for over a decade in Bahia, knowing the local spots off the beaten tracks, and especially resolving the problem for those who don't speak Portuguese :-)

Visit the site for more information

Greetz

Bas
Old 08-06-2019, 13:30   #13
B4A

Funny, I was reading my post of 2 years ago... We're in Salvador right now... I can't believe we crossed an ocean. We absolutely love the town, more than Rio, São Paulo or Brasilia. Yes, safety is a concern, this is not Ilha Grande. But the history in this town is amazing. Must have been a really wealthy town in the XIX century...
Old 08-06-2019, 15:30   #14

Quote:
Funny, I was reading my post of 2 years ago... We're in Salvador right now... I can't believe we crossed an ocean. We absolutely love the town, more than Rio, São Paulo or Brasilia. Yes, safety is a concern, this is not Ilha Grande. But the history in this town is amazing. Must have been a really wealthy town in the XIX century...
Congratulations, you made it. Full of history for sure.

If you are going north, let me know..
fernandosmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:16   #15

Hopefully you have experienced some of the Samba dancing particularly in the Pelourinho. The best music we heard in Brazil was here and the Saturday night jam sessions at the Museum of Modern Art are not to be missed.

Sadly the bad press that Salvador gets is the reason why so many cruisers have skipped this great city.

Tags
bahia, Brazil, marinas