Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2014, 14:12   #1

Boat: Moody 34
Most Affordable East Coast US marinas in VA., MD., or NC?

1.) On the East Coast of USA, ss there a geographic line south where you can keep a boat in the water year round? You know, the Chesapeake gets too cold and the marinas close/seasonal. But where is it warm enough or where are the marinas that keep the boat in water all year. Or, can you keep it in the water all year in the northern chesapeake marinas? Is that bad for the boat? Or do you just winterize the plumbing and keep it in the water?

2.) Do you have any marinas you can recommend that are less expensive than the 'norm' on the upper/northern chesapeake? Say, any in Deltaville VA? How about North Carolina? Any recommendations for reasonable marinas in Oriental?

Reason: I am wanting to buy my next boat this winter - sometime in 1st quarter 2015. But I need somewhere relatively inexpensive to keep it to save costs until I can move aboard in the future, even if it is not close to where i live on the northernmost part of the Chesapeake.

Some say 'wait until ur ready to go and then get the boat' but I want to get it now - i just need to keep it at the most affordable marina i can find between Havre de Grace and Oriental, NC

Any marinas you can recommend?

Thanks!
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 14:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Most Affordable East Coast US marinas in VA., MD., or NC?

There are some easy answers to this question, but they are not subject to deciding by the state. The places you are looking for are found in every state from Virginia to Texas along the southeast coast. These are places where you can find a slip for about 5 or 7 dollars a foot per month with utilities included; however, they are not in areas that are near the amenities of a nice area of a town. They are usually either in industrial areas, low socio-economic areas or rural country without access to things like grocery stores, laundro-mats or cultural entertainment. My absolute favorite is a rural place in Camden, North Carolina called Lambs Marina, but you'll would need to be comfortable with some mongrel dogs and snakes.

PS - I should clarify that the people at Lambs are of the absolute best character and not to be classified with the dogs and snakes!
Old 18-12-2014, 14:48   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

If "cheap" is your goal, you might be able to find a waterfront homeowner with an unused dock who will rent it to you at a lower price than an actual marina.
Old 18-12-2014, 22:13   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Thumbs up Re: Most Affordable East Coast US marinas in VA., MD., or NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If "cheap" is your goal, you might be able to find a waterfront homeowner with an unused dock who will rent it to you at a lower price than an actual marina.
A VERY wise idea. And it's a guess, but I'd think that between some creative internet searches (& postings). Plus, say, putting up a finders fee with a realtor or someone with good local knowledge, you could wind up with some premium offers.

When I say creative postings, perhaps you could make a list of a few criteria, & go on Craig's List or similar. And or pick a locale which you find to your liking after a roadtrip, & then post in various periodicals in the area.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 10:33   #5
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

As long as you winterize your boat, ice/cold won't harm it. Depth is a key factor in marina prices, especially in the northern Chesapeake.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 11:03   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

About half to two-thirds of the folks with boats in Deltaville keep them in the water all winter. It usually does not freeze; only once in 7 years have I seen ice in the marina and it was 1/8" thick or so. There are a few who do sail all winter and one can, so theoretically if you leave a boat in the water, it does not have to be winterized. Most people, 99%, do winterize their boats, just to be safe. Most marinas will turn off the water at the docks so their pipes do not freeze. They usually leave the water on in one bath house and close the rest. Power is left on.

The marinas all publish their rates on their websites and these vary depending on the amenities of the marina and if the docks are floating, etc. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. Small towns are cheaper, and the rates in most places are in proportion to the distance form Annapolis--the closer you get,t he more you pay.

The cheapest form of storage is to haul the boat and leave it in a yard. A boat left in a yard does need to be winterized.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 11:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post

The cheapest form of storage is to haul the boat and leave it in a yard. A boat left in a yard does need to be winterized.
It might be prudent to expand on this just a bit
Jeff Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 12:11   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777 View Post
1.) On the East Coast of USA, ss there a geographic line south where you can keep a boat in the water year round? You know, the Chesapeake gets too cold and the marinas close/seasonal. But where is it warm enough or where are the marinas that keep the boat in water all year. Or, can you keep it in the water all year in the northern chesapeake marinas? Is that bad for the boat? Or do you just winterize the plumbing and keep it in the water?

2.) Do you have any marinas you can recommend that are less expensive than the 'norm' on the upper/northern chesapeake? Say, any in Deltaville VA? How about North Carolina? Any recommendations for reasonable marinas in Oriental?

Reason: I am wanting to buy my next boat this winter - sometime in 1st quarter 2015. But I need somewhere relatively inexpensive to keep it to save costs until I can move aboard in the future, even if it is not close to where i live on the northernmost part of the Chesapeake.

Some say 'wait until ur ready to go and then get the boat' but I want to get it now - i just need to keep it at the most affordable marina i can find between Havre de Grace and Oriental, NC

Thanks!
I believe there is a place in Irvington, VA that charges $3.00/ft.

I think it's where this boat is stored if I remember what the broker told me correctly:

1977 Ranger 28 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 13:22   #9

You're going to buy your dream boat and then keep it a six hour drive away? And you're going to trust guys at the cheapest marina in six states to call you when the shore power cord falls off?

I once kept my boat in the water in Rhode Island for the winter. I took a sail on Christmas day just after a snow storm. Magical.

If I was you, I'd look in Baltimore harbor. You can get a slip for October 1 to May 1 (or something like that) for about $1500. Put a little Espar diesel heater on the boat and your wife/girlfriend might like it too.

Be sure to find a marina that keeps the water on and has a way to pump the holding tank without leaving the slip.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 13:56   #10

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bacon View Post
It might be prudent to expand on this just a bit
Not too sure what I should expand on--either the fact that yard storage is cheaper than in-water storage or the necessity to winterize in a yard location where one might not have to winterize the boat in the water at the same place.

A check of the marina and yard rates will allow one to compare which method of storage is cheaper. As for winterzing, the temperature inside the boat below the waterline will match the water where the boat is floating. If that is not frozen..... But if the boat is on sticks in a yard, 10-12 feet above the water, it will match the outside air temperature and that does drop below freezing in Deltaville and the middle Bay.

My boat is in the water, but she is winterized.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 14:55   #11

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777 View Post

Thanks!
I stoped at Bock Marine** just north of downtown Beaufort to install my Hydrovane self steering vane & get my 34 footer ready for singlehandling it to Sint Maarten (I made it in 11 days from December 5 'till 16 . It's a family run marina, very friendly & helpful. They charged me $1 a foot instead of the $1.50 everywhere else I stopped between Northen CHesapeake & Beaufort. I assume you could also negociate a "winter" rate on the dry ??? They have a metal & wood workshop in case of need... Good luck.

**Bock Marine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BockMarine.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	93965  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 15:11   #12

Location: Boat is currently at a marina in Point Richmond, CA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 34'

When I bought my Crealock '34 in Oriental four years ago, I used Sailcraft boatyard (Welcome to SAILCRAFT SERVICE). I highly recommend them. It's a true DIY yard, they are very helpful, and it's a great location.
jenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 19:51   #13

Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"

Had four sink at the dock last winter in my marina last year. The Nashville area is about the same temp... , and had to pump 2 more before they went down! I would recommend winterizing if you leave it in the water or take it out. Unless you don't mind paying ele. and hoping it dose not have a power outage or fire being UN-attended for long periods of time. One sometime forgets that the inside of the boat will reach the outside temp's. if they stay below freezing for more than a few days with out heat.
ytquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 21:37   #14

Boat: 50 Bene

I can't remember the marina name but it is right downtown Newbern NC, attached to a hotel resort. $6 bucks a foot and fairly mild temps looked at a few boats there while shopping. Or you could head down to Charleston where I am and pay $16/ft uggh
Old 20-12-2014, 05:43   #15

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Baltimore has a safe, well run, clean and attractive marina called Anchorage; good rates (yearly), a walk away from all stores, markets and eats.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, marinas