Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 13:49   #1

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.
pirate Volunteer crew wanted, Nice 43 Sloop from Cape Cod, MA. To FL Late September

Volunteer crew wanted, Nice 43' Sloop from Cape Cod, MA. To FL Late September

(The Passage) This delivery will be departing from Cape Cod, MA. within a few days or as soon as possible after Sept 21st. I will be arriving a few days earlier to prepare the boat and our intention is to sail offshore as far and long as we have favorable weather. While it may be possible to make the entire 1200 mile passage non-stop within 10 to 12 days we will monitor the weather closely and it is more likely we will divert into the Inter Coastal Waterway for at least some parts of the journey north If not only for weather but also for fuel or water as needed. I am estimating the entire delivery to take 2 to 3 weeks so crew would need to be somewhat flexible with their schedule.

(The Boat) A Well equipped and recently surveyed 2004 Jeanneau 43DS. This sloop has a 75HP yanmar, New 6-man life-raft, Epirb last year in addition to AIS, Autopilot, Generator, In-reach real-time offshore satellite tracking with unlimited text messaging even for the crew.
(The Captain) USCG Licensed 100 Ton Master and has completed a solo circumnavigation on a 30ft Sloop in 2013. Since then I have completed over 35,000nm of offshore deliveries and sailing instruction including sailing this very same boat from FL to Cape Cod earlier this year. Recent CV and blogsite available here; http://www.sailingsalsa.com/sailboat-deliveries-2.

(The Arrangement) This boat is being relocated to it’s winter location in Florida. Primarily I am looking for volunteer crew who are expected to get themselves to and from the vessel at their own expense. On-board passage-related expenses, fuel, marina fees, provisioning will be covered by the owner. If you have extensive offshore experience I may consider helping Travel expenses and more. ALL crew help with all aspects of the passage including pre-passge preparation and post passage clean up. Expect to keep watch and sometimes at night, navigating, weather analyses, sail-handling, cooking cleaning, repairs etc. WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW YOU WILL BE TAUGHT. This is an opportunity to gain miles and experience both offshore and inland under power and sail with the safety of an experienced captain on a very nice private vessel.

(The Requirements for the crew) I will give some preference to those who can assure me you are not prone to sea-sickness / motion sickness. When contacting me please post a short reply here and send a PM or email INCLUDING YOUR CONTACT INFO including email and phone number. I will be considering all people who respond however you should know some sailing basics and please tell me about your sailing experience. Any other experience or skills that you might posses that could be useful at sea (engineers, medical professionals, mechanics, cooks etc,) should be mentioned.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
-Captain Kirk Little
Attached Images

kirkalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:54   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Volunteer crew wanted, Nice 43 Sloop from Cape Cod, MA. To FL Late September

g'Day Kirk,

Not a potential crew for you, but wanted to compliment you on an excellent "crew wanted" post. It should be a model for others in similar positions.

Well done, and I hope you get some good responses.

Jim
Old 15-09-2017, 17:00   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: Volunteer crew wanted, Nice 43 Sloop from Cape Cod, MA. To FL Late September

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
g'Day Kirk,

Not a potential crew for you, but wanted to compliment you on an excellent "crew wanted" post. It should be a model for others in similar positions.

Well done, and I hope you get some good responses.

Jim
I Agree. Everything you need to know to get a dialog started.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 17:20   #4

Great post, and I would absolutely love to join you, but my schedule is not quite that flexible. Hope Jose doesn't give you guys any trouble.
Old 16-09-2017, 11:37   #5

Hello Capt. I am interested in exploring this passage with you. This looks like reverse of your spring deliver. Are you heading to Forth Lauderdale?
I have some sailing experience on the great lakes. Years ago I sailed an old 29ft wooden sloop. Most recently day sailing. I am now retired and would like to cruise again, buy a boat.. I am an excellent cook. I only remember getting seasick once., It's hard to forget. I am a willing hand and would like to work and hone my skills.

I am David Mangun dlmangun@gmail.com phone 413- 884 6033.
cell 978-604 1892(use it infrequently.

Also I have an RV in Everglades City Florida which I need to get to in the future as it was in the cat 4 area of Irma. This is why I wondered about destination. I will rent a car upon arrival.

If you wish to know more, please ask, or give me a call.
dlmangun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 12:19   #6

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmangun View Post
If you wish to know more, please ask, or give me a call.
Hey David, he mentioned after posting you should PM or email him:

"When contacting me please post a short reply here and send a PM or email INCLUDING YOUR CONTACT INFO including email and phone number."

If you really want to go I would do that..
Old 16-09-2017, 14:59   #7

Dear Captain
I am sailing for 60 years. I had a couple of yachts. The last yacht (v/s Cygnet 34ft. Seidelman) took Irma, a few days ago from Maule Lake (N.Miami Beach, Fl) Last year I sailed the s/v Kedyw from Culebra, via St. Thomas to NYC.
Way from NYC to Miami and back I made 8 times. I often sailed alone, so I am a navigator, a helmsman, a mechanic and a cook. I am retired. I have time. I love sailing.
cichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 15:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory, 31

Capt. Kirk,

Would love to join the crew.

Howard
hrsail920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 17:53   #9

Hello Kirk, I am interested in this experience. I would not qualify myself as a sailing expert but very eager to learn. I have assisted in bringing a friends boat from Miami to Hamilton Ontario Canada and recently purchased and delivered my own boat from Newport RI to Ontario. For more information about me please call or email, dave7167@rogers,com or 7054870216.

Thanks,
Dave
dave7167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 16:52   #10

Boat: Catalina 34

Dear Capt. Kirk,

I am very interested in this trip and will send another PM with the contact details. Fortunately I am available through the end of September/Early October and have a Catalina 34 which we have taken offshore on races between Galveston and Port Aransas.

Best Regards,

Bill Hoffman
wchoffman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 18:56   #11

QUICK UPDATE (from the original poster)

Due to Jose threatening the coast I decided to book an earlier flight to Cape Cod arriving this evening so I can prepare the for the possible tropical storm force winds from Jose. I'm not certain if this will delay the departure date much but Jose and Maria will have to be observed at least a few more days before I could choose even tentative dates. I'm also open to doing this in hops and or partially inland if required.

I'm sorry for not getting back to anyone yet but I've been traveling and tomorrow will likely move the boat to a more protected Marina at which point I can get back to everyone. I do appreciate all the sincere interest, and encourage more as I have room for a few crew if the right people come forward. Also thanks for all the positive feedback, I promise to be in touch soon.

-Kirk
Old 18-09-2017, 10:26   #12

Boat: 1987 322 O'Day - 32

I would love to be part of your crew on this voyage. email: lcLinda5@yahoo.com. All questions will be answered upon reply.
Sail Away Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 16:30   #13

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

i am interested. I am 34 with my ICC through IYT, I have about 2oo miles under me.
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 18:55   #14

This ship has sailed! I'm sorry I didn't get back to everyone, I normally try to. It was half inshore on the ICW with a few very nice runs offshore as well. Thanks to all that reached out to crew, had a great group this time. I almost forgot how much fun day hopping the ICW could be, so many great towns. I'll post the next opportunity when I have one. -Kirk

Tags
cape cod, crew, crew wanted, sloop, wanted