Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 06:50   #1
cruiser

Gun Laws for Canada

Our cruising plans for 2018 have changed due to unexpected delays and minor repairs, so we'll now be sailing up the coast of Maine to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland beginning July 15th.

I'm a Canadian citizen with a USA firearms large capacity license: are there any problems with us bringing along a Mossberg Mariner 500 12ga shotgun up to the north country? When I check into Canada, would there be any special procedures or paperwork needed other than having a valid US license? My wife also has a license. No small arms, pistols, handguns etc, just the shotgun.

To the anti-gun zealots, please spare us and everyone the lectures; it's a waste of your time. Let's try to keep this thread focused on actual facts provided by individuals with actual experience. I already know us Canadians are able to possess firearms, I just need to find out how to legally comply with any laws.

Thanks

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 07:19   #2

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Gun Laws for Canada

I presume you have asked google...
here's the CBSA, RCMP and government guidelines ... that should get you started:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html
Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
http://publications.gc.ca/collection...5-2014-eng.pdf
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 07:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Gun Laws for Canada

You must contact them ahead of time and fill out and send in the paperwork. Absolutely no Pistols of course, but your not bringing one. But I guess a lot of Americans want to, cause they made absolutely sure I understood no Pistols under any circumstance.
It’s real easy, and doesn’t cost much. Then when you arrive they are supposed to come and inspect the firearm I suppose. I arrived on Canada day and they didn’t come to the airport, you do have to call of course and they charge you a small fee on your credit card. It’s not big deal at all, a complete non event. All Canadian Customs officials I ever dealt with were exceedingly courteous.
They are not like the US CBP at all.

All this is old data, so check of course.

What is a US large capacity license? I assume that is a State thing, not US, right? Only US Federal requirements I know of are for full auto and suppressor, there may be others of course.

Oh, and have it unloaded of course, like an idiot when I was returning in Montana, I had forgotten to unload the thing. Thankfully the CBP Officer was fine with that, but it was a serious screw up on my part.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 07:58   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

What a64pilot said!
Hunting rifles are no big thing. It's semi autos and handguns or their ammo is what Canada doesn't like.
I have the same shotgun, good choice! Carry multiple type of rounds ( small & large shot, & slung too)
Old 29-06-2018, 08:31   #5

Boat: Catalina 375

No sure of your gun however I believe in Canada you must put a plug in the gun to restrict to one shell in chamber and two below. MY shotgun did not have a plug for two rounds and I got hell for it.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 08:48   #6

Boat: Newport 30

Strange as it may seem, I haven't found to many 'anti-gun zealots' in Canada. We (generally) don't like pistols or semi-automatic 'assault' style weapons, but long guns are well accepted. Lots of hunters up here! As others have stated, check out the web info, and contact customs prior to entry. There won't be a problem.

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:01   #7

I dont know about other states, but in Calif the 3 shell limit only applies to hunting game birds. It doesnt apply to rodents in the orchard or practice. Laws change quickly so checking on anything is a good idea. My question is "What is a large capacity license?" I suspect that Canadians (or any other country) might consider a large capacity magazine as military hardware and ban it. Please let us know how this turns out for you? ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:10   #8

Boat: GibSea 472

Since you are a Canadian, before you can use or possess a shotgun(or a rifle) in Canada you have to apply for a permit for acquisition/possession. This implies a certain procedure including a request to the Canadian Mounted Police. The application for such permit is very serious in its scope. An investigation is made on the antecedent(if any) of violence, crime conviction, etc. If your are divorced for less then 2 years, you need to have a written statement of your ex. Two Canadians will will endorse your application. A passport picture is also required. After 6 to 8 weeks, once the investigation is completeand if everything is OK, you will receive this permis, and with it it will be legal to possess, use, a long gun, buy ammos with some limitations(No full automatic weapons, not shorten barrel, no assault guns(like the infamous AR15). Possession of restricted arms, hanguns etc... is much more complicated and many usage rules apply. By the way, bringing a long gun in USA for hunting imposes also all sort of complex restrictions and application takes a long time as far as I know.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:15   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Gun Laws for Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
No sure of your gun however I believe in Canada you must put a plug in the gun to restrict to one shell in chamber and two below. MY shotgun did not have a plug for two rounds and I got hell for it.

I don’t think so, I was flying into the NWT with my family, and there was no restriction on number of rounds it was allowed to carry. Of course I had 3” shells and the ole Mossburg being meant to be a defense shotgun can carry a lot. I also carried a box of #4 shot in case I was down and had an opportunity to shoot a rabbit, squirrel etc.
Mine had a folding stock, short barrel with heat protector etc. looked to the uninformed to be very Military type, but it needed to fit under the back seat and without the short barrel and folding stock, it wasn’t going to.

I believe not too long ago you were required to arm yourself in the NWT at least flying anyway, there was a list of required items, X number of calories of food per person, mosquito protection etc. all of it very logical and intelligent to carry.
I got the impression that if you were flying in the backcountry, they wanted you armed, with a shotgun to protect your family from bears. These are intelligent, back country types who understand. Now I wasn’t going to any city, that I’m sure would be different.
I got the impression that they expected it, and supported it. Just don’t try to sell them on your big handgun being for self protection, they don’t want to hear it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:24   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
Since you are a Canadian, before you can use or possess a shotgun(or a rifle) in Canada you have to apply for a permit for acquisition/possession. This implies a certain procedure including a request to the Canadian Mounted Police. The application for such permit is very serious in its scope. An investigation is made on the antecedent(if any) of violence, crime conviction, etc. If your are divorced for less then 2 years, you need to have a written statement of your ex. Two Canadians will will endorse your application. A passport picture is also required. After 6 to 8 weeks, once the investigation is completeand if everything is OK, you will receive this permis, and with it it will be legal to possess, use, a long gun, buy ammos with some limitations(No full automatic weapons, not shorten barrel, no assault guns(like the infamous AR15). Possession of restricted arms, hanguns etc... is much more complicated and many usage rules apply. By the way, bringing a long gun in USA for hunting imposes also all sort of complex restrictions and application takes a long time as far as I know.
I’m also a US citizen.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:37   #11

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I’m also a US citizen.
What matters is whether you are a Canadian Resident (see links above) ... You may want to carry sufficient documentation to prove that you are not.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:58   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

What on earth is a large capacity license?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 10:09   #13

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Ken,

On the west coast, we often traverse into Canadian waters as US citizens on our US flagged vessel. We usually bring 2- 12Ga shotguns [1 Mossberg 500] with plenty of Brenneke slugs, etc. and sometimes a 45-70 rifle or two. [We kayak and go ashore often in remote areas...] We leave handguns behind in Alaska when we venture into Canada. We have never had an issue bringing longs guns and ammo. [Caveat: We also have NEXUS cards- but I don't know if that 'helps' much where firearms are concerned...]

We fill in the paperwork ahead of time. Last time we crossed the fee was $25CDN per form, and you could list multiple firearms on one form.

We are also planning to traverse the NW Passage in the near future, and yes, firearms [appropriate caliber long guns] are required last I checked. [Likewise for Greenland, Iceland, Norway, etc...]

Best wishes with your summer plans- and shaking down that new vessel of yours...

Cheers! Bill

PS: Here is the current RCMP site with firearms forms. And here is the link [from above] for the non-resident firearms declaration RCMP 5589 / CAFC 909 form we use. [And its continuation sheet for more than 1 firearm...]
Old 29-06-2018, 10:28   #14

The facts are that guns kill, Please leave it home, we have enough crazies already.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 10:39   #15

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicsailboat View Post
The facts are that PEOPLE kill, Please leave it home, we have enough crazies already.
Fixed it.
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada