Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2018, 17:01   #1

Cabin vs cockpit space ?

I'm stuck between 2 boats and it is pretty much down to cockpit vs cabin space. Both boats are 39-40 ft. The first is a little beamier and has a much better cabin layout with a relatively cramped cockpit. Whereas the second has 2ft less beam @10.5ft but she's got a massive cockpit.

The boats intended use is a part time solo live aboard/cruiser and eventually hitting the med and Black Sea. I don't plan on having more than 3 adults or 2adults and 2children on board so the smaller cabin isn't a problem .For some reason I keep coming back to the wider boat although part of me thinks the big cockpit would be better and safer under way and hanging on the hook.

I know it's subjective but I'd like to hear from others. With all things being equal what would you choose and why? Would anyone sacrifice cabin space for a roomier cockpit?

Thanks
Almost-There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:20   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Cabin vs cockpit space ?

I'd defintely go for the bigger cabin. In my opinion, a large cockpit is never safer for offshore. I would not sacrifice cabin space. My 2cents.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:43   #3

Thanks as for the safety issue. I was just thinking it'd be better for when my daughters are aboard.They would have a little more room on deck to play at anchor. They'll only be on board for coastal trips, nothing offshore and they love being in the cockpit of my current boat. So I figured a little more room might be safer for them.
Old 26-06-2018, 11:03   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

All depends on where the cockpit is located and can it fill and drain quickly if pooped.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 13:05   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

More information needed.... one person's 'massive cockpit' is another person's 'just right'. What boats are you considering?

However from my perspective (40' x 10.5') - massive cockpit = not much room below....

Plenty of boats out there with ample space below and a good sized cockpit... not too big..not too small...
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 13:19   #6

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Make sure either cockpit facilitates sleeping in. I've seen some big cockpits with nowhere to sleep. You'll appreciate it when the weather gets hot.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 16:46   #7

Thanks, the boat is a allied 39 but it's not a Mistress. It's the model based on the Borsaw 40,that I think according to sailboat data was based from the Owens 40. She looks a little like the Hinckley based on the same boat too.

As for the cabin, it is small for the boats size but its plenty for what I need. I was initially looking at slightly smaller boats before finding this one. With the extra length I figured it'd ride a little better but that's another subject.

Good point about drains,it has them but that's as far as I got. I'm curious as how to test and inspect them. Its not like I can plan to take a wave over the stern and this is a serious issue.

Tags
cabin, cockpit