Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 08:02   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53
GPS Coordinates of Channel Markers

I once had a link to a website that I think might have been updated by the USCG. On this site were the most current GPS positions of all US channel markers. It was the most current source of information regarding marker positions for inlets where the channel may shift.

Does anyone know the link to this site?
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:15   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: GPS Coordinates of Channel Markers

Are you referring to the USCG light list?
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=lightlists
Old 05-09-2018, 08:17   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

They are contained in the "Light List", they are done by region.
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=lightLists
Paul, beat me to it, those are the annual lists there's weekly corrections also.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:44   #4

YES! Thanks you.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:07   #5

I would add that you should never use them as waypoints. BUOYS can weigh more than a ton and you do not want to mess with them. Set your waypoints at a reasonable distance away depending on what else is around. I set 1 cable if I can get away with it.
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:26   #6

I might also add that my gps sometimes would show about 50 ft off..I would be in a channel & gps would show me running right into a marker when I was clearly in the middle of the channel. ...I would NEVER try to use it to come in when there was poor visibility but I could use my previous track accurately. Just something that I happened to pick up
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecambrai View Post
I would add that you should never use them as waypoints. BUOYS can weigh more than a ton and you do not want to mess with them. Set your waypoints at a reasonable distance away depending on what else is around. I set 1 cable if I can get away with it.

I don't see anywhere on this thread where someone has remotely suggested using buoys for waypoints.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I might also add that my gps sometimes would show about 50 ft off..I would be in a channel & gps would show me running right into a marker when I was clearly in the middle of the channel. ...I would NEVER try to use it to come in when there was poor visibility but I could use my previous track accurately. Just something that I happened to pick up
Not sure how this pertains to my original question about a link to a web site. But, thanks anyway.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:41   #9

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecambrai View Post

This is great advice. There was a guy in the yacht club I race with who did just that. His autopilot was pretty accurate one day and sure enough, he sailed right into the buoy and sank. Oops.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:19   #10

Boat: DownEaster 38

Pardon my ignorance, but won't modern electronic charts like Navionics have the current positions of all such marks? Of course if one is planning a route the waypoints will often be near a mark, but no one plans on a direct hit!
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:24   #11

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but won't modern electronic charts like Navionics have the current positions of all such marks? Of course if one is planning a route the waypoints will often be near a mark, but no one plans on a direct hit!

They can be accurate but they can also be inaccurate. How old is the chart that came with the chart plotter? How accurate is the chart plotter today? Has the buoy been moved recently? Is there a source of jamming or interference nearby? All of these things and more can affect what shows up on the chart. While it's true that these things don't occur the vast majority of the time, it only takes once for things to go south in a hurry.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:28   #12

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Not if those pilings or buoys have been moved or replaced since the survey was done for that version of electronic chart.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:57   #13

Boat: DownEaster 38

One can update the charts on a chart plotter (or on an iPad) on a regular basis, but that begs the question as to how often the chart maker updates the marks. Still, it's good to have the Light List available to check before setting out on any voyage. Thanks for providing the link to that list.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:57   #14

Quote:

Most times charts are sufficient. However, there are some waterways and inlets where the channel will shift. The USCG will move the markers and update the website. These areas on charts are labeled as visual navigation only. Also, if there is a dredging operation going on and makers are re-positioned, the web site is updated.

Since the web-site gives the coordinates, it is possible to put these into an electronic plotter as an aid to spotting the markers when entering a difficult channel.

Hope this helps.

Tags
gps