Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 08:54   #16

Boat: CSY 33 Hull #10 - Sonrae
Send a message via Yahoo to alambertfl
Hello All,
I am another "newbie" to the Catalina 27 thread, but not to life. I too, have just purchased a 76 Catalina 27 project boat. I have a long way to go to get it ready to sail, even though it is in the water. I have seen some pics of an aftermarket travelor(sp?) that can be installed over the companionway entrance. Does anyone have any idea where something like that may be purchased. I saw a number of them on boats on the Catalina 27 website, but no mention of where to purchase. Looking forward to following the progress of Henry and Lynn as they begin to spend money. Maybe we can compare notes along the way. By the way, I am from Virginia, currently residing in Florida. Look forward to future dialog. Sonny Lambert
alambertfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alambertfl View Post
Hello All,
I am another "newbie" to the Catalina 27 thread, but not to life. I too, have just purchased a 76 Catalina 27 project boat. I have a long way to go to get it ready to sail, even though it is in the water. I have seen some pics of an aftermarket travelor(sp?) that can be installed over the companionway entrance. Does anyone have any idea where something like that may be purchased. I saw a number of them on boats on the Catalina 27 website, but no mention of where to purchase. Looking forward to following the progress of Henry and Lynn as they begin to spend money. Maybe we can compare notes along the way. By the way, I am from Virginia, currently residing in Florida. Look forward to future dialog. Sonny Lambert
If you are thinking of moving the traveler from the stern to above the companionway, I would advise you to hold off until you've sailed the boat for a while. Particularly if you will be sailing short-handed. The companionway location may be somewhat preferable in terms of mainsail shape if you will be racing, but given the expense and trouble of moving the traveler, it's not worth it IMO unless you're going to be doing a lot of racing. And if the boat has a tiller, please don't change to a wheel. This boat IMO wants to be kept simple and you want to keep the cockpit uncluttered.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 18:40   #18

Boat: Ceol na Mara ~ Catalina 27
We sail our Catalina 27 tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alambertfl View Post
Hello All,
Sonny, our boat has finally been splashed, and tomorrow (5/10/08) we will take her from Bowley's Quarters near Baltimore to Rock Hall on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake. It's supposed to be raining in the morning, but we're going anyway. This will be our first sail on this boat.

Other than outfitting the the boat with the basics, we have not spent much on it.

Good luck with your boat! Keep us updated with your progress....
Old 27-06-2008, 21:18   #19

Boat: CSY 33 Hull #10 - Sonrae
Send a message via Yahoo to alambertfl
Hello Again,
It appears the last post was May 9th. I finally have my boat in sailing shape after working on it for nearly two months. I replaced the VHF radio, the compass and the depth sounder. This boat apparently never had an electric bilge pump, so I installed one of those as well. The head had been removed as it was a direct discharge in 1976, highly illegal now. Installed a porta potti until I decide whether this boat is a day sailor or a weekender/vacationer. Right now it's a day sailor. I also had the engine reworked. All of the teak had been removed from the exterior and the door to the head was also missing. It was on the boat but all had to be refinished.
I need some help with a hatch problem. Someone, for reasons totally unknown to me, cut off the flanges on each side that hold the hatch in the teak slots. So, if for some reason I were to experience, say, a knockdown or perhaps a super heavy wind gust, it is possible that the hatch could come off. Does anyone have any idea what I could do to fix it? I have thought of installing some angle bar on each side, but don't know whether it will work. Was wondering if anyone else has ever had this type of problem on a Catalina 27 before? Looking forward to your responses

Sonny
alambertfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:47   #20

Re: Catalina 27

It is amazing, when you talk to older, long distance, live-aboard cruisers, how many started with their first sailboat being a Catalina 25 or 27' then moved up as the years went by.
overthehorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 19:55   #21

Boat: Catalina 27
Wink Re: Catalina 27

I just read your thread about buying a Catalina 27. I just joined this website. We also have a 1974 Catalina 27. How have things been going with you guys and your 27 Catalina? We dock our boat off the Patuxent in Solomons Island, MD.
Slimparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 20:00   #22

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: Catalina 27

Last post was 10 years ago.

Tags
catalina