Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2019, 22:47   #1

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56
Turkey - porta potty instead of black water tank short term

We need to enter Turkey to reset our VAT clock, dont need to stay long, but wondering if a porta potty with easy to empty on land cartridge would be enough to satisfy the blue card situation for a week or so. Anyone else done this? Can get 20 lt cartridges. We have black tanks yet to install but seems pointless if very few places to empty.
Also any info on the current costs of entering and leaving, private boat with 2 on board.
Thanks in advance.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 23:36   #2

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: Turkey - porta potty instead of black water tank short term

I can not give you a definite answer, but in my opinion, a porta potti does not work as the holding tank must be able to be pumped/suctioned ashore. But - actually nobody is checking that the boat actually has holding tanks, so if you can get someone to do a pump out somehow (be creative....), it might work.

But, in a boat this size, I am sure you have holding tanks, so why not just install a hose and a deck fitting?
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 23:40   #3

By the way, Turkey is a great cruising area, so why not stay a while.
Old 18-01-2019, 23:57   #4

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

Thanks Martin, she is large and luxurious but was carribean delivered new and they dont seem to fit black water holding tanks down there. We have bought some but will require cutting into her to fit them which has been down the bottom of the ongoing work list.

We travelled overland there many years ago , it is a beautifull country but the current political stiuation in Turkey means we will spend a minimum of time possible to reset the clock for EU.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 00:28   #5

Turkey is actually a good place to get them fitted:-). I had my forward tank fitted there. They did a very good job, and at a good rate.

I was there for one year, left last summer for Greece. There is no problem regarding security, not in the cruising areas. Safer than most places yachts tend to visit. I am no fan of Erdogan and have this in common with almost all the Turks living on the coast.
Old 19-01-2019, 00:57   #6

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Can't answer your question, but only add that I've spent cumulatively maybe 2 years in Turkey over the past decade, overland in a VW bus and motorcycle, from Istanbul to the Syria border and everything in between. There is no security issue at all to visitors, indeed, some of the greatest random acts of friendliness I've ever encountered. Now that I have a sailboat, I can't wait to explore it from the sea! You should stay longer, period.

As to the tanks, I do know Turks, and I do hear stories, so what I would do is go to a marina with your card, tell the guy on the pump look at these silly regulations, I can't pump it out but can you stamp it for 20 bucks, and he guaranteed will do it

Go to Turkey for a good while, you will really regret not staying longer....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 01:19   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Hello Karen. It's nice to see that you are still sailing Muscade. I headed back to the Caribbean and am now in the Bahamas.

IMO, I'd just move up the install of the black water holding tanks. It's simply never been worth the worry that I'm breaking a law in a foreign country vs the $ spent to not break the law. Talk to Yeloya.

We have two black water tanks in Palarran. They are both mounted in the forward lockers, port and starboard of the anchor locker on the main bulkhead. The black water is pumped to them and then I have a simple valve to discharge when sailing. We use it ALL the time. It's so much nicer to not have discharge happening in a Marina or when anchored and friends are swimming around the boat.
Old 19-01-2019, 02:26   #8
cruiser

What’s the present situation in Turkey regarding grey water tanks? I’d like to spend some time there in a couple of years, but neither boat was fitted with grey water tanks larger than 10 liters per sink. We have black water tanks, but not large enough for more than a few days between pumpouts.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 08:44   #9

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

For what it's worth: We spent the last two years cruising on the southern coast of Turkey from Marmaris to Cyprus and every marina in between, including Gocek, Kas, Finnike, etc.
Got a Blue Card when checking in Turkey in Marmaris. We were never asked to show it once by anybody over the next two years and were never asked by anyone about our grey or black water tanks pumping records.
jmpapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 09:20   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Turkey is actually a good place to get them fitted:-). I had my forward tank fitted there. They did a very good job, and at a good rate.

I was there for one year, left last summer for Greece. There is no problem regarding security, not in the cruising areas. Safer than most places yachts tend to visit. I am no fan of Erdogan and have this in common with almost all the Turks living on the coast.
They are indeed superb boatbuilders and cheao. But avoid marinas with their own Teknik shops. Monopoly with outrageous prices.
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 14:13   #11

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
What’s the present situation in Turkey regarding grey water tanks? I’d like to spend some time there in a couple of years, but neither boat was fitted with grey water tanks larger than 10 liters per sink. We have black water tanks, but not large enough for more than a few days between pumpouts.
The grey water tank requirement didn’t get passed as would have impacted too much. In one area that I know of - Bay of Islands (Gocek) - they have black water pump out and rubbish boats which come around to the anchorages. The fines for non compliance are steep but one can work with the system. Only got asked once for the blue card when checking out but not worth risking not having a recent pump out on your card when leaving.

I second that it is a great country and great people and over the past 8 years the political situation has never intruded on my enjoyment of their great cruising grounds.

TwT
Old 19-01-2019, 16:04   #12

Boat: Shipman 50

Every Marina has pump out facilities. In addition at Gokava and Skopea bays there are also pump-out boats with a regular schedule. You will pay around 9-10 Euros for 80 Ltrs or so. If you are asked by the Coast Guard and cannot present a Blue Card, there may be steep fines. However, they do not seem to check much, since their bigger concern is the immigrants trying to cross over.

There are various ports of entry; Bodrum, Marmaris, Bozburun, Cesme to name a few. The process is done by an Agent, which charges 50-100 Euro depending on the location. Upon arrival at a port of entry, ask around the port authority/customs and they will point you some local references. They are quick and efficient.
yelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 22:33   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
The grey water tank requirement didn’t get passed as would have impacted too much. In one area that I know of - Bay of Islands (Gocek) - they have black water pump out and rubbish boats which come around to the anchorages. The fines for non compliance are steep but one can work with the system. Only got asked once for the blue card when checking out but not worth risking not having a recent pump out on your card when leaving.

I second that it is a great country and great people and over the past 8 years the political situation has never intruded on my enjoyment of their great cruising grounds.

TwT
Then I guess we’re good to go! Looking forward to it in 2021.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 00:25   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Just to confirm that grey water tanks are not compulsory in Turkey and I don't think it will be so in the near future. Black water tanks and blue card ares compulsory. You may get away w/out it but if you are cought, you may be fined up to 2-3.000 €.
We installed a lot of black water tanks ; it would cost 800 to 1.000 € roughly including pipes, nozzles, etc. and I think it's worth the cost.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey, water