Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 09:13   #1

Relative passed, boat in Mexico

Relative passed, has a boat in Mexico with his name on all the paperwork, TIP, etc. Family members in US moved boat ownership into a trust to handle estate. What is the best way to salvage this mess?
jayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:29   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Relative passed, boat in Mexico

If you already have the CG documentation or state registration handled from the change of ownership, reach out to the Mexican Aduana (customs) and/or Banjercito (military bank in charge of TIPs). Have them cancel the current TIP and get a new one put in place reflecting the change of ownership.

This may be easier said than done, but these are the two Mexican institutions you need to deal with. It may take time but be patient and it'll work out.

Good luck and sorry to hear about the loss.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:43   #3

... and hire a skipper to bring it back.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:55   #4

Thank you, the trustees currently have the boat listed for sale. Would it be better to bring the boat back to the US and sell? Or just transfer ownership offshore?
Old 25-04-2018, 11:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
Thank you, the trustees currently have the boat listed for sale. Would it be better to bring the boat back to the US and sell? Or just transfer ownership offshore?
First, you will need to consider the value of the boat vs the cost to bring it back to the states. That will greatly depend on where in Mexico to where in the US. Cozomel to Houston wouldn't be much but Cabo San Lucas to San Francisco could be a lot.

If the cost to bring the boat back to the states is a significant percentage of the value of the boat then try to sell it there.

You also need to factor in the selling market and the status of the title and red tape in Mexico. Most people will be very reluctant to buy a boat in Mexico if the paperwork and Mexican customs status isn't 100% clear. Finally, in general you will find more potential buyers in the US but that will depend on where in the US and the boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 13:09   #6

It's a 2005 Gemini Catamaran, new sails, rigging, bottom, rudders oct-dec 2017 done in Progreso, so it should be worth $75k-$100k. However with the paperwork status and getting it out Mexico, I feel that the value is a lot less.
Old 25-04-2018, 13:26   #7

If the boat is still in Progreso, figure about $2,000 for a delivery skipper to get it to Houston, plus his travel expenses to/from the boat.

There were a lot of boats destroyed along the south east coast of Texas by Hurricane Harvey last year. It's probably a good place to sell.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 13:37   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
If the boat is still in Progreso, figure about $2,000 for a delivery skipper to get it to Houston, plus his travel expenses to/from the boat.

There were a lot of boats destroyed along the south east coast of Texas by Hurricane Harvey last year. It's probably a good place to sell.
If Progreso in the Yucatan and the boat is still in that area I agree it would be a very good option to bring it back to the states. TX would be the closest, easiest but maybe a bigger catamaran market in south Florida.
Old 25-04-2018, 13:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If Progreso in the Yucatan and the boat is still in that area I agree it would be a very good option to bring it back to the states. TX would be the closest, easiest but maybe a bigger catamaran market in south Florida.
Good point on Florida. I am not the expert by any means but can't imagine the Yucatan is the best place to try and sell a boat like this. If it was me, I'd spend the money to repatriate it.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 13:56   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Good point on Florida. I am not the expert by any means but can't imagine the Yucatan is the best place to try and sell a boat like this. If it was me, I'd spend the money to repatriate it.
I think the distance is about the same FL or TX. FL you would have a favorable current but against the prevailing winds.

I may be biased towards FL as the market just because I'm most familiar with the boat business there. Either way it would seem to make sense to move the boat.

There are several experience delivery skippers on the forum but I would also recommend you make sure the boat is insured, just in case.
Old 26-04-2018, 08:43   #11

Boat: Island Packet 32

The marina at Progreso is very small, but nearby in Yucalpeten, there are 8 marinas. The owner of one, Marina Paraiso, is Manuel Jose Gutierrez.
My guess is that he could be very helpful. He has told me that he can help with customs, port captain, etc. He speaks perfect English, and is a very nice guy.
His email address is marinaparaiso@yahoo.com.mx
Old 26-04-2018, 09:02   #12

I think you have some pretty good advice thrown your direction. Get the boat free and clear of any ownership issuers and find a Captain to deliver the boat back to U.S. Waters. As for where to deliver the boat it will be up to the weather and wind conditions once you have the boat clear to go. Once back its not a big deal to move the boat around to where it might find a place to sell it.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 09:14   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

You may be able to get the State Department to grease the wheels? Try one of your Senators.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 09:36   #14

Boat: 85 Endeavor 35' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I think the distance is about the same FL or TX. FL you would have a favorable current but against the prevailing winds.

I may be biased towards FL as the market just because I'm most familiar with the boat business there. Either way it would seem to make sense to move the boat.

There are several experience delivery skippers on the forum but I would also recommend you make sure the boat is insured, just in case.
there are not many multi-hulls in the Houston/Galveston area - Florida best
texingram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 10:10   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Cadence is right.
Contact the U.S. State Dept. They will get the US Embassy in Mexico to help you.
Foreign governments are much more helpful when dealing with the US Government vs private foreign citizens.
Had a similar deal when my brother died in the P.I.. Couldn't have done it w out the State Department.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, boat