Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2018, 20:14   #1

Hunter - Blue-water or not?

I have decided to consider mono as well as multi-hulls for my pending passage from California to Hawaii. Once I get there, I don't know what I will do until I assess the first leg, i.e. on to Tahiti, back to California or off to a brokerage firm!!! As such, I am downgrading my desired expenditure, and have looked seriously at monos.

I have always liked the looks of Hunters, but don't know where they stand in the hierarchy of blue-water capable vessels. Any thoughts on the line, overall, and any specific recommendation. I will probably be making the trip solo, so single-handed sailing configuration is a must.

One model that has piqued my interest is the 54' model that is more of a racer than a cruiser, but I can sail with only main and jib and leave the second stay sail furled if need be. If I decide that one leg (to Hawaii) or there and back are enough for me, I don't want to have a great deal invested.

If I decide to continue one, I can upgrade at that time.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 20:20   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

A Hunter moored next to me in the Marshall Islands sailed 7,000 Blue Water miles to get here...arrived minus a mast.

There are much better Water boats">Blue Water boats. I use my staysail at least 50% of the time.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 20:34   #3

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
A Hunter moored next to me in the Marshall Islands sailed 7,000 Blue Water miles to get here...arrived minus a mast.

What happened to the mast? Was it a Hunter problem or an any boat problem?
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 20:42   #4

In my opinion Hunters are on par with other high production sailboats, including Beneteau/Bavaria etc. They may not be the strongest boat built but they are strong enough in most cases. I've seen them all over the world in our travels so they are definitely crossing oceans. Like all manufacturers some models are better than others so some serious due diligence is required to make an informed choice. In the lower latitudes being careful with weather there is no reason a Hunter won't get you there just as well as a Beneteau or similar boats. They all share very similar building techniques.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 21:59   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
I have decided to consider mono as well as multi-hulls for my pending passage from California to Hawaii. Once I get there, I don't know what I will do until I assess the first leg, i.e. on to Tahiti, back to California or off to a brokerage firm!!! As such, I am downgrading my desired expenditure, and have looked seriously at monos.

I have always liked the looks of Hunters, but don't know where they stand in the hierarchy of blue-water capable vessels. Any thoughts on the line, overall, and any specific recommendation. I will probably be making the trip solo, so single-handed sailing configuration is a must.

One model that has piqued my interest is the 54' model that is more of a racer than a cruiser, but I can sail with only main and jib and leave the second stay sail furled if need be. If I decide that one leg (to Hawaii) or there and back are enough for me, I don't want to have a great deal invested.

Since you mention the Hunter 54 specifically, I believe you are thinking of the older Hunters. Several 54's have done some pretty serious sailing. The contemporaneous Cherubini designed Hunter line included a very stoutly built 37, which is cutter rigged and has a number of features that were ahead of its time. Quite a few of these did some really serious sailing, as well, probably more than the 54.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 05:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Since you mention the Hunter 54 specifically, I believe you are thinking of the older Hunters. Several 54's have done some pretty serious sailing. The contemporaneous Cherubini designed Hunter line included a very stoutly built 37, which is cutter rigged and has a number of features that were ahead of its time. Quite a few of these did some really serious sailing, as well, probably more than the 54.
Moss of the 54s I refer to hand the "garage" for the dinghy, and one is
named Pegasus '82, was one of only 24 hulls of this racing Hunter made. It has been modified as a cruiser.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 06:37   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

May I suggest, that a 54’ boat is massive.

If you’re going to single hand, don’t know if you’ll like it, an want to keep the costs down, consider seriously something much smaller.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 06:42   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post

Well assuming good condition and equipped that Hunter is.
Old 30-01-2018, 07:45   #9

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

I echo Sailmonkey thoughts. I currently own a 50ft. When problems develop and they will develop, it is both impractical and dangerous to be alone on that size of a boat. In my last trip to Bermuda we had "simple" problems such as blown sheets and jammed furler. While technically easy to fix, these were 2-3 people on deck.

In regards to Hunters being blue water boats- properly equiped the boat will survive. Search youtube for the dozens of young couples circumnavigation in production boats. None have had catastrophic failures, simply normal wear and tear of equipment

Personally if solo, I would limit myself to 32-37 ft.
Jspla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 07:47   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Hunters are like most boats, some models are much better for what you want than others.
If you are considering single handing, don’t. Not yet, cause I have to assume since your asking this question that your not experienced enough to single hand that trip, not yet anyway.
Nothing wrong with being inexperienced, I am, but I’m gaining experience every day
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 08:25   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

Loved the Cherubini 37c.. easy to solo and plenty roomy for one person.
The trend towards swept back spreaders however raises some doubts.. to me.. for their Ocean capabilities in strong weather.. looks flashy tho'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 08:42   #12

You may not believe this, but other people have actually asked this very same question. Many, many times. Try a Google search, and also use this very phrase on this and other boating forums. Good luck. Safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 08:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Loved the Cherubini 37c.. easy to solo and plenty roomy for one person.
The trend towards swept back spreaders however raises some doubts.. to me.. for their Ocean capabilities in strong weather.. looks flashy tho'..
Your showing your age my friend like you I find the deeply swept spreaders to be a super pain in the butt when sailing down wind, you can never get your main out properly. I know it's cheaper to build them this way but for typical ocean cruisers the straight spreaders work best.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 08:57   #14

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

I would not wish to be aboard any Hunter in rough conditions. Especially those where you are pounding or dropping off waves.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 09:07   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
I would not wish to be aboard any Hunter in rough conditions. Especially those where you are pounding or dropping off waves.
Well, I have been, many times, on a Cherubini 33. It was fine. Six years sailing every week in the SF Bay Area, lots of N Pacific waters and Mexico.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, water