Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2018, 09:42   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Rudder Stability; how much movement is acceptable

My boat is 10 years old and has been sailed a moderate if not above average amount. The rudder has a little shimmy in her when you try to move it by hand (on the hard or in the water). The movement is slight, perhaps 1/8" at the top and a little more down at the bottom of the rudder. The steering is smooth and appears perfect; I can't feel anything through the helm; only when I man handle the rudder in an inspection mode does is move just a bit.

My question is how much is acceptable? Once again, I can't tell anything is off from the helm. Thoughts on how concerned I should be and how urgent it is to fix such a seemingly small problem?
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 14:45   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Rudder Stability; how much movement is acceptable

You might try a CF Custom Google search (under the Search menu) for Beneteau 343 + rudder issues.

How urgent it is really depends on how risk averse you are, and how you use the boat. It could be anything from the rudder is coming apart inside, to worn bearings. Most of us freak out if we lose our steering, and sometimes there isn't time to jury rig a substitute. If rudder flutter is a common issue, for your model, you should be able to find something here, or by regular Google.

Ann

Tags
men, rudder