Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 13:16   #1

Boat: Lagoon 39
Taking a Dog to Grenada

Hello Everyone,

We have a 12 year old Dachshund cruising with us. How hard is it to take a dog on shore in Grenada? She has all her papers, shots, etc.

Thank you,
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:31   #2

Boat: Vagabond 14
Re: Taking a Dog to Grenada

The ONLY correct answer is :

You need to contact the embassy for the country (or countries) you will visit about their rules regarding animals.

Don't be like Johnny Depp and just try to get away with it. That's a good way to have your dog euthanized and your butt tossed in jail.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:46   #3

I have papers for St. Martin/Maarten. We have dog papers in our Captain's shore packet. Just wanted to know how many Cruisers have their dogs in the area for hurricane season.
Old 06-06-2016, 00:48   #4

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

There's lots of cruisers with dogs in Grenada. I would be surprised if you have any problem.

If you want to fly out with the dog, the airline will require you have a health certificate from a local vet.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:41   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473
Taking a Dog to Grenada

We have flown in and out of Grenada a few times with our cats. The airlines, and perhaps the country you are flying to, will require a current health certificate. You can get one of these for free at the Ministry of Agriculture. You do not need to bring your dog, just it's vaccination records and Titer report. If flying back to Grenada with your dog, you will need an Import Permit. That paperwork can be started when you get the health certificate. Then within 10-days (I think) of your arrival back to Grenada you fax to them a new health certificate from the country you are leaving and updated vaccine and Titer records. An important thing to note, is that you will have to pay and import duty on you dog when coming back into the country if you didn't pay it when you came in. If you did that is an important document to keep, make sure you have it with you upon your return.

http://www.grenadaconsulate.com/impo...s-grenada.html

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 13:47   #6

Our dog picked up a bug when we were there. It's something that a lot of dogs get on the islands. If I could just remember the name. It was serious, he got very weak. They took blood and found that he. We took him to the vet and he got meds and got better within a few weeks. Make sure you watch out for it.
JohannaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 17:14   #7

So we have been in Grenada for over a month. No one has asked for paper son my dog. I do not take her ashore much, there are people who like to poison dogs and some strays as well as owners who allow their dogs to roam free.

But I've had no trouble at all with Jenny on shore.

Tags
Grenada