Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 14:00   #1

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Sailing Crew wanted Puerto Rico to Miami

HI,
I am a 49 year old single hander aboard a well found Tayana 42 Vancouver Looking for crew ASAP-other people I had lined up bailed on me. Planning on doing a straight shot back to Florida, but am open to island hopping as well. The only caveat to island hopping is that I have a dinghy with no motor. Shared expenses, non paid position. Currently heading to the USVI, but can rendezvous in PR as it is a less expensive flight from the states.

The boat is in excellent condition, has a liferaft, new sails, two new roller furlers, new rigging, just replaced the chainplates over the past 5 weeks. The Yanmar has 1215 hours on it and there is a Fisher Panda genset to run the AC should that unforeseen need arise! I have a watermaker and carry 200 gallons in two tanks. Twin racors, twin fuel tanks polished in 2013. There is an epirb onboard, but it is older. I carry an ACR PLB on my Spinlock deckvest and set up jacklines for passages. You will need a PLB and a good lifevest, I have extra tethers.

There is also an SSB radio, current gps with AIS receive, Garmin radar and a 12" plotter.

Safety is paramount and I do not take any unnessacary risks. I also have two Yorkies with me as crew...

Thanks,
Captain Joe,
Linus and Lucy aboard the
SV Que Sera Sera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151217_161433.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	116906   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151210_111705.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	116907  

Old 17-01-2016, 14:56   #2

Boat: 19' Lightning
Re: Sailing Crew wanted Puerto Rico to Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebreck View Post
HI,
I am a 49 year old single hander aboard a well found Tayana 42 Vancouver Looking for crew ASAP-other people I had lined up bailed on me. Planning on doing a straight shot back to Florida, but am open to island hopping as well. The only caveat to island hopping is that I have a dinghy with no motor. Shared expenses, non paid position. Currently heading to the USVI, but can rendezvous in PR as it is a less expensive flight from the states.

The boat is in excellent condition, has a liferaft, new sails, two new roller furlers, new rigging, just replaced the chainplates over the past 5 weeks. The Yanmar has 1215 hours on it and there is a Fisher Panda genset to run the AC should that unforeseen need arise! I have a watermaker and carry 200 gallons in two tanks. Twin racors, twin fuel tanks polished in 2013. There is an epirb onboard, but it is older. I carry an ACR PLB on my Spinlock deckvest and set up jacklines for passages. You will need a PLB and a good lifevest, I have extra tethers.

There is also an SSB radio, current gps with AIS receive, Garmin radar and a 12" plotter.

Safety is paramount and I do not take any unnessacary risks. I also have two Yorkies with me as crew...

Thanks,
Captain Joe,
Linus and Lucy aboard the
SV Que Sera Sera

Yo, Capt'n Joe,

What is your time frame from PR? Might be available. 40+ yrs of experience >5000 miles offshore.
Old 19-01-2016, 14:11   #3

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Also curious about desired time frame, both when you'd be departing PR and what you expect for duration, to see if our schedules might match. Would really be interested in learning what sailing a Tayana is like, she looks fine.
Old 19-01-2016, 15:38   #4

Hi guys I finally have been sailing que sera sera around Puerto Rico for the past 4 days. I am going to head further up wind until I can locate a crew or suck it up and buy an outboard and singlehand island hop via the Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, through the Bahamas and on to Florida. I really wanted to wait to go to the Miami show and buy a proper dinghy and outboard there.

So in short my time frame is as soon as possible for crew I would like to be back in Miami by Valentine's Day to make it to the sailboat show.
Old 20-01-2016, 09:20   #5

Wish I could join you, but timing is off... Saw your vessel at PDR on Monday when I was out in my center console! Best of luck!
Old 20-01-2016, 21:08   #6

So Joe, find any crew yet? Waiting to hear

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-01-2016, 11:33   #7

I could do the straight shot, available immediately. Also could have another join up.
Shoot me an email at scothenry.phd at gmail

Thanks
Scot
Old 04-02-2016, 07:44   #8

Sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone, my T-Mobile service was non existent in the US Vigrins. I believe I have crew lined up, but will post if they fall through.

This Tayana sails like a dream-I am seeing consistent 6.5-7.5 knts on a beam reach with a very dirty bottom in 17 kts true ...Even with the first reef in. She just shrugs off huge beam on waves like a freight train
Old 04-02-2016, 15:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebreck View Post
Sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone, my T-Mobile service was non existent in the US Vigrins. I believe I have crew lined up, but will post if they fall through.

This Tayana sails like a dream-I am seeing consistent 6.5-7.5 knts on a beam reach with a very dirty bottom in 17 kts true ...Even with the first reef in. She just shrugs off huge beam on waves like a freight train

Rogah that, keep me informed
Cheers
Old 05-02-2016, 06:36   #10

Hello,

I am not certain if our schedules may sync, but I can outline what my loose plans are re: Caribbean sailing.

- I am currently in St. Croix and have pre-paid accommodations in St. Thomas from Feb 9 - 23. It is my interest to see more of the islands by boat / photograph some local regattas and do travel writing.

- I am a San Francisco marketing and PR person/writer/photographer with an interest to remain in the area for 1 to 2 more months.

- Back home in San Francisco I race (main and headsail positions) in Bay and some ocean events.

- Non-smoker, non-drinker, athletic, quiet.

Do email if you see any synergies. Thank you. renegadesailing.com

Tags
crew, crew wanted, miami, Puerto Rico, sail, sailing, wanted