Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 07:35   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
Corpus Christi, TX Marinas and Anchorage Info

My husband and I are contemplating a move to Corpus Christi, but don't know anything about the area. A search on Google Earth doesn't seem to show any anchorages in the area. Can anyone give us info on the area in general and marinas/anchorages in particular? Thanks for any input.
Old 22-04-2011, 08:00   #2

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Where are you moving from?

My wife grew up there and we visit the area several times a year. We haven't done any sailing there - but I can tell you there are several marinas surrounded by a breakwater right downtown.

There are no moorings that I have seen - it's all slips.

I have mentioned to my wife several times how underdeveloped the waterfront area appears. Up here in MA (where we live) - the waterfront gets all the restaurants and hotels. Down there it doesn't seem like there is much going on.

The only place to eat on the water - Joes Crab Shack - yuck.

If you don't mine saying - why are you considering a move there?
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 08:20   #3

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Corpus Christi Texas Marinas & Anchorage Info

Hi there, we are up the coast in Kemah but I've spent my fair share of time in Corpus. Corpus hasn't really developed the waterfront as it doesn't have the economic base to justify an expensive build up. While Corpus has tried to become a tourist destination, most people just pass through on their way to Padre Island. There's not a whole lot of night life, but there was a great funky little coffee shop or two. Mostly its just the shopping mall and run down real estate.(sorry)

Most of the people I know who have lived aboard have chosen to live in Ingleside. There are a couple of marinas in Ingleside and I think if you look a bit more closely there as opposed to Corpus you are more likely to find a good situation for yourself and your boat there.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 08:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Thumbs up Re: Corpus Christi Texas Marinas & Anchorage Info

Mimsy & Sailagain,
Thanks for the info. We're currently berthed at the foot of Lake Worth in Palm Beach County. Much to my joy and chagrin, I've been offered an extremely good, long term consulting job in San Antonio and I'm thinking that commuting from West Palm Beach will get old very fast.

Corpus seemed like a good option due to Route 35 access to San Antone, but if there are better places out there, we're fine with it because when this job ends, we'll be going cruising again.

Mimsy, Bill is on line looking at Ingleside and very much likes what he's seeing, so thanks for the info. It's also a closer to San Antone, which is a big plus for me.

So any other suggestions that are out there, we're happy to investigate!
Old 22-04-2011, 08:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have been in Corpus Christi Marina for 3 years. It's a great place. A couple of things to consider:

When planning a move here, make SURE you budget for 8 months of slip rental, up front: If you pay for 8 months, you get 4 months free!

As noted, the marina is right downtown. While there are 3 "on the water" restaurants, two are Joe's and Landry's - both chains - and neither really very good - although I have to say that Joe's is the best Joe's I've ever eaten at. HOWEVER, downtown, within a very short walk, are several very good restaurants.

Being downtown is delightful. The marina is about 95% sailboats, for a reason: Corpus Christi is the windiest city in the country (Chicago's "Windy City" is for the blowhard politicians). It blows ALL of the time. We have in excess of 25kts many weekends, and 15kts most every day. 2 weekends ago, it blew 30-35 and was beautiful, just windy. Corpus Christi Bay is shallow - about 15 feet. This means the chop at 25kts, while just fine for a sailboat, really sucks in most powerboats. The offshore fisherman got to Port Aransas - no sense in burning all of that fuel from Corpus Christi to Port A. So, that's why it's all sailboats.

We pay about $325, including everything, for a 50' slip. We are on the "old section" but are likely moving to the "new section". Prices are the same. The "old section" will not hold up under a hurricane, however they are starting to work on refurbing it. The new section has pumpouts at the slip. All are floating slips.

There are 2 yacht clubs: Corpus Christi Yacht Club, for which you will need a string of recommendations, and Bay Yacht Club, which is about $40 a month, dinners, including beer/wine/softdrinks are $7.50. Bay Yacht Club has a monthly cruise, and for those that like to race - from serious racing up thru cruise racing - it's all very active in CC.

There are many good places to go. Ingleside Cove is one of our favorite. 2-2 1/2 hours. It might seem "odd" that there is a drilling rig manufacturer on the west end of the cove, making those insanely towering rigs - but it's just an oddity. Port A for the weekend is popular, and Flato Cut, in the non-mosquito season, is an excellent anchorage. A few more hours away are several others.

You can also choose one of the other marinas, Port A, Rockport, or Ingleside (kind of a dump - and 5 feet or less).
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 08:59   #6

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Bstreep - been to Landrys - I didn't mention it cause it's just like eating inside. I know there is a small patio outside but the music is too loud for me.

But what I am dying to know is - what is the third place??? I pester my wife every time on the lack of ocean front dining. Is it good? Where is it?

Thanks!
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 09:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Hi there, we are up the coast in Kemah but I've spent my fair share of time in Corpus. Corpus hasn't really developed the waterfront as it doesn't have the economic base to justify an expensive build up. While Corpus has tried to become a tourist destination, most people just pass through on their way to Padre Island. There's not a whole lot of night life, but there was a great funky little coffee shop or two. Mostly its just the shopping mall and run down real estate.(sorry)

Most of the people I know who have lived aboard have chosen to live in Ingleside. There are a couple of marinas in Ingleside and I think if you look a bit more closely there as opposed to Corpus you are more likely to find a good situation for yourself and your boat there.
Like I said, Ingleside is kind of... Piers are fixed and are in bad shape, and most of the boats never move. If a hurricane were to blow through, the marina at Ingleside would probably be gone. It's been for sale for years, and the owners, Keith and Carol, are just wonderful folks, but it's just not in very good shape. Also, as noted, draft is a consideration.

Yes, CC is a bit disfunctional. As one of my elementary school teachers said, "Bill is not working up to his potential". I've finally discovered that CC leaders are very happy being "a big fish in a small pond". They like it this way.
Old 22-04-2011, 09:05   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
Bstreep - been to Landrys - I didn't mention it cause it's just like eating inside. I know there is a small patio outside but the music is too loud for me.

But what I am dying to know is - what is the third place??? I pester my wife every time on the lack of ocean front dining. Is it good? Where is it?

Thanks!
New place: Harrison's Landing. On People's Street.

If you want excellent waterfront food, try the Yardarm, a couple of miles down Ocean Drive. You HAVE to have reservations, and it's reasonable.

In downtown, Katz is the best - better than Ruth Chris. Thai Spice is the best Thai food I've ever eaten. Waterstreet, a block off the water, has very good food.
Old 22-04-2011, 09:37   #9
Marine Service Provider

Bstreep,
Thanks for the info. We'll be living aboard while there... probably a year or two. Not looking for night life. We're up at sunrise and tend to go to bed when the sun sets so peace and quiet is a must for us, but a good restaurant would be nice now and again. We're on a 50' cat with a 4 foot draft so I think we're out of Ingleside and back to Corpus, if for depth only.

Love the idea of good breezes as we need 10-15kts to enjoy a good sail. In Florida, we're generally dealing with 10-15kts of wind most of the time, higher depending on the time of year. Also, depending on where you are docked, we've found anything above 20-25kts can be uncomfortable if you're open to the bay. What's the protection at the downtown docks?

What do most people do when a hurricane threatens? Are there yards nearby for haulout or does everyone run for it? Unlike Florida, it doesn't look like there are many places to 'run' to in Corpus, so I'm guessing that haulout is the rule of thumb when a storm is imminent.

My husband asks what the prevailing winds are in Corpus? I'm assuming that your winds run pretty much like ours. We're currently going into our SE and SSE winds until the fall, when the winds will gradually shift to more northerly. Does that hold true in Corpus, also?
Old 22-04-2011, 09:51   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The Corpus Christi Municipal Marina has an excellent & informative website.
Corpus Christi Municipal Marina

See also ➥ http://www.cctexas.com/files/g65/specialoffers.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 09:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you want a slip, you are probably "stuck" in CC. The big slips in the new section should be plenty wide - and you WILL be alone! Few boats on E and F piers. Some of the big cats side tie to "E" pier instead - it's cheaper that way (you pay for your length rather than the length of the slip).

The new section of the marina was designed to withstand a Catagory 3 hurricane. HOWEVER, at that point in time, the breakwater AND the T Heads are likely under water. It probably won't be pretty. The marina with withstand a storm surge to 13 feet, at which point the biggest problem will be debris from the island 13 miles across the bay.

"Running" is probably not an option, nor is hauling. The closest yard to haul you is in Ingleside. They used to haul boats in CC and put them into holes in the median on Ocean Drive. Just too many boats, now. Everyone just ties up well, and hunkers down at the threat of a hurricane. This is the case everywhere on this section of the coast. Several of the marinas up in Kemah are better protected, but that's a LONG way away.

Sounds like our winds are like yours. SSE all summer. Same in the winter, except when northers blow through. The marina is VERY well protected, with a breakwater, and then T heads out to the piers.
Old 22-04-2011, 11:28   #12

No offense, but you folks LIVE in CC and all you mention for seafood resturants is Landries and Joe's????? Ever stop by the BLACK DIAMOND OSYTER BAR???

well, you should... It's right across the street from the docks down toward the ship channel..

anchorages: Lydia Anne Channel, Shamrock Cove, Mud Island tucked just off St Joe Island...CC Bay anywhere off the south shore...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 11:45   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
No offense, but you folks LIVE in CC and all you mention for seafood resturants is Landries and Joe's????? Ever stop by the BLACK DIAMOND OSYTER BAR???

well, you should... It's right across the street from the docks down toward the ship channel..

anchorages: Lydia Anne Channel, Shamrock Cove, Mud Island tucked just off St Joe Island...CC Bay anywhere off the south shore...
None taken. He asked about waterfront AT the marina. I also mentioned those that were within WALKING distance. The Black Diamond is on SPID - half way to Padre Island. Not sure which "docks" you were talking about, but it's about 10 miles from downtown CC... You sure you aren't talking about Water Street (Oyster Bar)? It's our regular Friday night dinner. At the corner of Lawrence Street and Water, 1 block in from the marina, of which 1/2 is on the Lawrence Street T Head.

Shamrock Cove LOOKS great on the charts. It sucks if 1) a squall blows through or 2) there is any south in the wind. It's wide open to the south and the north.

Lydia Ann is decent anchorage area - but can be very dicy in a squall. Same goes for Mud Island - which is just awesome, but probably a 4-5 hour trip.
Old 22-04-2011, 11:56   #14
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Hey, Bill. My boat is at Watergate on Clear Lake. It is a long 4 hour drive from San Antonio where we live. I've been thinking seriously about moving it to be much closer. I've been to Island Moorings in Port A when we did the Harvest Moon Regatta last October. It's nice, and very reasonable. Two questions (or my thoughts at least). One, for hurricane season I'm probably safer leaving the boat where it is. Also, we have sailmakers, boat yards, and plenty of chandleries in the Kemah/ClearLake area. What is available in the CC/Port A area?

Thanks,
Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 12:03   #15

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

I'm bummed to hear that Ingleside has fallen in disrepair. granted, it was a few years ago that I had friends living there but it always seemed like such a laid back, slightly funky in a good way place.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, marinas, texas