Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 11:04   #1

Timing for Cali to Hawaii?

Hey guys. 30ft sailboat, want to use mostly wind, how much harder will it be/longer will it take to sail from LA to Maui in the beginning of September, as opposed to, say, July when the Transpac is? Thanks!
jessej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 11:42   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Timing for Cali to Hawaii?

friend took cal 28 from sd to hawaii years ago and it was 5 weeks.
someone else took a sloop from sd to hawaii years later and it was still 5 weeks.
the exact timing will be flexible and you need to figure your average speed over ground and your currents and winds and guesstimate your time at whatever your assumed sog would be. i figger most of my trips on a 3 or 2 mph rate. sailboats are slower than walking but a lot more fun.
also type of boat makes a difference. gotta use your numbers you are able to pull when under way, not the high guess but the low reality. best o luck.
i figger about 5 weeks unless you sail a superfast imaginary boat

btw...hurricane season ends end november an is most active in sept. hawaii canes depend on what mexicoast send that way and pacific high and such frivolities. in between mainland and hawaii could be a lil tetchy from may 15 to nov 30.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 11:50   #3

Alright this I understand, I'm just wondering what the difference would be in wind speeds, reliability and everything in September as opposed to July. From what I've learned July is the best time to make the trek, but I just need to know what the trade off would be as far as going two months later, If I'm trying to make the best time I can.
Old 30-01-2019, 11:58   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

both months are hurricane season months. study the winds and currents on google earth maps and charts monthly to see if there is a significant change--but as both are summer months. there may be no significant difference. however there may be a difference in number of storms to hit pacific. pacific ocean, epac, generates 19-21 storms annually and many do cross into central pac and head to hawaii. you donot want to sail in those.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 12:17   #5

Boat: Douglas 32

In 1976 my 32' boat ( and first owners ) went from San Francisco to hawaii in 28 days, starting in November. Their return trip in 1983 to San Diego starting on December 13, and had to lie a-hull for two days during the trip back to the USA.
Free online book link:
https://sites.google.com/site/dougla...ome/kemanabook

Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 12:35   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessej View Post
Alright this I understand, I'm just wondering what the difference would be in wind speeds, reliability and everything in September as opposed to July. From what I've learned July is the best time to make the trek, but I just need to know what the trade off would be as far as going two months later, If I'm trying to make the best time I can.

I’m not sure there’s much of a change in average speed but if you encounter a hurricane you run the risk of delaying arrival let’s say from 1 week up to forever.

You really really don’t want to play tag with a a hurricane.

I had friends that went Seattle to HA in 24d leaving in May if I recall.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 12:38   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ann and I sailed my Yankee 30 SF to Kaneohe bay starting in early September 1983. Took us 16 1/2 days, had mostly good sailing condition. Tropical Storm Gil came along about halfway with ~40 knots for a while, but from abaft the beam, and we had our best day's run ever in that boat: 168 miles noon to noon, with only a storm jib flying. (BEing that we were using celestial nav, the accuracy of that run is questionable, but we were flying!!)

Jim
Old 30-01-2019, 13:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ann and I sailed my Yankee 30 SF to Kaneohe bay starting in early September 1983. Took us 16 1/2 days, had mostly good sailing condition. Tropical Storm Gil came along about halfway with ~40 knots for a while, but from abaft the beam, and we had our best day's run ever in that boat: 168 miles noon to noon, with only a storm jib flying. (BEing that we were using celestial nav, the accuracy of that run is questionable, but we were flying!!)

Jim
Thank you so much, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks again!
Old 30-01-2019, 13:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I’m not sure there’s much of a change in average speed but if you encounter a hurricane you run the risk of delaying arrival from let’s say 1 week to up forever.

You really really don’t want to play tag with a a hurricane.

I had friends that went Seattle to HA in 24d leaving in May if I recall.
This is really good info, thanks!!!
Old 30-01-2019, 16:01   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Shouldn't be much if any difference between early, mid or your late summer planned sail.

Their is no magic in the dates of the traditional races to Hawaii other than you don't want to deliver a boat back to the mainland after September. The hurricanes almost always stay below 20 Degrees N Latitude till they get close to the islands with a few heading more nw from there. In any case, carefully monitor the track if one should materialize and stay well north of them, even boring holes in the ocean, till it passes south of you then straight line to your destination. Did that on a passage to the Marquesas. In the past few years hurricanes/tropical storms seem to be happening early summer. If that holds shouldn't be any storm issues on the passage. Kona has been a safe place to hang out with no significant weather in the 45 years we've lived here if a storm should materialize after arrival.

FWIW, have made the sail to Hawaii in late July and up from Tahiti in June with no problems.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:49   #11

Boat: Tartan 33

Pilot charts are still useful for planning a trip like this.
Old 31-01-2019, 09:33   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halien View Post
Pilot charts are still useful for planning a trip like this.
Exactly!

I've sailed two small boats (24' and 30') from SF to Kauai, and each trip took 16 days. In both cases, the Pac High was way far south, and made a 12 day trip into a 16 day trip. Don't depart if the high is between you and Hawaii.

Pilot Charts should allow you to see the average wind direction, number of days of calms, etc. Then you have to start studying the NWS charts for the Eastern Pacific for two weeks or more prior to your desired departure date. In fact, get used to doing that now, and also get used to the prognosis charts and wind and surface charts. All really helpful.

One last point: if you go in July, you'll have 100 other boats sailing similar courses in the Transpac, and you'll have boats in the vicinity that could help you if you lose your water, or can't start your engine, or lose your rudder, etc.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 10:21   #13

Boat: 55' Romsdal

You may find the N Pac high a bit further south later in the year, so getting further south before turning West may be necessary.
Old 31-01-2019, 10:47   #14
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessej View Post
Hey guys. 30ft sailboat, want to use mostly wind, how much harder will it be/longer will it take to sail from LA to Maui in the beginning of September, as opposed to, say, July when the Transpac is? Thanks!
Contact your insurance company concerning your travel destination and dates. On my 2015 attempt the insurance company would not cover any damage resulting from storms if travel was through a specific area during the hurricane season...I waited another year and went earlier.

I am not aware of any insurance company will cover for solo offshore voyages if that is your plan.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 18:03   #15

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Took Unicorn ( Bruce Kings old boat ) from Ventura to Hawaii in Sept 5 years ago and there were a few hurricanes moving along to the south of us. Swells were also on the beam. It's best to carry extra fuel so you can head north to the cooler water if one comes at you, you should have enough for about 800 miles.
Unicorn is now now sold to my ex wife and happily sitting in Pittwater and I get paid to maintain her !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, hawaii