Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2018, 15:14   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Welland Canal 2018

We transited the Welland Canal last week. We cleared Canadian Customs at Sugarloaf Marina/Port Colborne. The staff at Sugarloaf was exceptional with their service and they helped us download our Canal Permit from their computer. Highly recommended. The next day, we motored to the Public Docks at Bridge No. 8 and arrived at 0645. We were told the previous day that we would depart no later than 0730. When we called to reverify, they said we were scheduled to leave at 1800. When I told them we had never made the trip before and that a night passage could prove worrisome, they said we could wait for another day. A half-hour later, the transit was rescheduled for 0600 the following day. Before the end of the day, Canadian Customs visited our vessel and were polite and courteous. We spent the night at the free public dock and left the following morning at 0630. Throughout the Canal passage, the lock tenders/line handlers were complaining that they couldn't do their jobs properly since budget cuts and layoffs affected their jobs. We traveled with a group of three power boaters--one of which was a delivery captain with a semi-disabled trawler that continually put our boat and the others in peril (my opinion). There are 8 locks. It took us 14 hours and I would never repeat the trip again. We'll be in the St. Lawrence by the weekend. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 19-07-2018, 08:25   #2

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Re: Welland Canal 2018

How far east are you going? The gang can get pretty grumpy at the Quebec locks too!
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 06:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumroll30 View Post
How far east are you going? The gang can get pretty grumpy at the Quebec locks too!

Hi, Drumroll,
We're heading out the St. Lawrence to the Atlantic and then South to Florida. The lockkeepers really weren't grumpy but I had the feeling they wanted the recreational boaters to know that the recent budget cuts had affected their performance and the scheduling for the vessels. I can't imagine how people could do the 34 locks on the Erie. I would have turned around shortly after the first few locks . . . motoring . . locking . . motoring . . locking . . .a prescription for madness. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 20-07-2018, 06:38   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
We transited the Welland Canal last week. We cleared Canadian Customs at Sugarloaf Marina/Port Colborne. The staff at Sugarloaf was exceptional with their service and they helped us download our Canal Permit from their computer. Highly recommended. The next day, we motored to the Public Docks at Bridge No. 8 and arrived at 0645. We were told the previous day that we would depart no later than 0730. When we called to reverify, they said we were scheduled to leave at 1800. When I told them we had never made the trip before and that a night passage could prove worrisome, they said we could wait for another day. A half-hour later, the transit was rescheduled for 0600 the following day. Before the end of the day, Canadian Customs visited our vessel and were polite and courteous. We spent the night at the free public dock and left the following morning at 0630. Throughout the Canal passage, the lock tenders/line handlers were complaining that they couldn't do their jobs properly since budget cuts and layoffs affected their jobs. We traveled with a group of three power boaters--one of which was a delivery captain with a semi-disabled trawler that continually put our boat and the others in peril (my opinion). There are 8 locks. It took us 14 hours and I would never repeat the trip again. We'll be in the St. Lawrence by the weekend. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
I'm Curious, what permit did you need? We did the Welland canal in 2016 and didn't need a permit, just paid our money online. and went through with a group of 7 others (3 of them powerboats that kept zooming up ahead and having to wait for us!!) Interesting that Customs actually came for a vist (haven't seen Canada customs in ages!) Then again I did clear in a point Abino YC instead

The biggest issue with the canal is the line handlers wanting the pleasureboats to raft up in big rafts so they don't have to =do much work. remember its your boat. After one request to raft up 8 deep was enough to make us stop allowing that. We also had one boat lose its transmission and one lose a stern cleat when a line got stuck!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 07:38   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

We transited the Welland (downbound) a few years ago. First time for us, and we ended up doing most of it in the dark (finished at about 2 am). I actually think it is easier in the dark. The lights are easy to spot, and wind is more likely to be zero.

I recall the line handlers to be friendly. The typical complaints about over work and under staffing (which I don't doubt), but pretty typical banter.

Realize, recreational boaters are a PITA for them. They're mainly there for the Big Boys.

I certainly didn't enjoy the locks (don't enjoy ANY locks), but it wasn't that bad -- long, but not difficult.
Old 20-07-2018, 07:52   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Hi, Drumroll,
I can't imagine how people could do the 34 locks on the Erie. I would have turned around shortly after the first few locks . . . motoring . . locking . . motoring . . locking . . .a prescription for madness. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
The Erie is a breeze. The locks are small and the lockmasters are very helpful. The highest lift is about 50 feet. Good places to stop along the way, mostly free. Most of the locks have lines hanging down so you just hang on as you go up or down. And this year the transit is free.
Old 20-07-2018, 09:37   #7

I should add rognvald, we came down the St. Lawrence last season, sticking to the north shore past the Saguenay. We anchored almost the entire time, aside from two marina stops (Portneuf and Baie Comeau). I’m happy to share our anchorages if need be.

It’s a great trip down the river. Take as much as you can.
Old 21-07-2018, 04:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I should add rognvald, we came down the St. Lawrence last season, sticking to the north shore past the Saguenay. We anchored almost the entire time, aside from two marina stops (Portneuf and Baie Comeau). I’m happy to share our anchorages if need be.

It’s a great trip down the river. Take as much as you can.
Thanks, Mike,
I'd be interested in your stops. We haven't decided if we're going the Canada or US route yet. I'll have internet access for the next two days. Looks like a long motor along the river until the open stretches. Just spent $1200. US in charts to get us to Portland, Maine. We had to buy 35 Canadian charts at $23.95 each plus chartbooks and guide-books for the US. The total should be +/- $2K to finish our trip. Thanks for the feedback . . . Rognvald
Old 21-07-2018, 05:48   #9

Quote:
Thanks, Mike,
I'd be interested in your stops. We haven't decided if we're going the Canada or US route yet. I'll have internet access for the next two days. Looks like a long motor along the river until the open stretches. Just spent $1200. US in charts to get us to Portland, Maine. We had to buy 35 Canadian charts at $23.95 each plus chartbooks and guide-books for the US. The total should be +/- $2K to finish our trip. Thanks for the feedback . . . Rognvald
Yikes! That’s approaching the price of a new sail. We managed to borrow most charts all the way down the River, and we relied on chart books for the Great Lakes. Mostly we used our digital charts, of which we have three separate chipsets.

I recalled posting my anchorages in another thread a while back, and just found it. Turns out you may already have my list:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2619317

Good luck with the journey. It’s a great trip. As is our norm, we took a long time to do the run. Saw lots of whales and seals and gannets and other life. The tides are huge at times (25-foot) and the currents were ferocious at times, but it was amazing.

Tags
canal