Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 18:11   #31

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Review of a Wharram Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccara View Post
On the wood side its:

~15 sheets 4mm
~60 sheets 9mm
~15 sheets 12mm
~10 sheets 18mm

around 600m of softwood stringers etc of various sizes and lengths 32x19 to 130x25

100m of 80cm 200gm2 glass, ~250kg of Resin + associated bits

Thats a rough guide of the big bits
Did you ever cost it all out? I would think marine grade douglas fir would work which I found for $65 for a 9MM 4 x 8 sheet. I would think you'd be all in for under $75,000 which sure would not be bad for a 38' Cat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 19:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
I think the big bits are usually 1/3 the total cost unfortunately.
What puts me off wanting to build a catamaran is that you get one hull finished and then you need to start to build another. I know ideally you would build both hulls at the same time if you have room. Still I'm sure it's worth it.
Oh its not meant to be anything other than a rough guide, your right it's normally big bits = 1/4-1/3 overall cost, James Wharram sells the study guide with the BOM and i dont want to take away his business by posting wholesale every bit

In my view you dont build a Wharram because of cost you build a Wharram out of a passion to build and a desire to trust and know your boat
Beccara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 19:23   #33

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Sailed extensive in a 26'... great at that time... glorified camping is the best description for a wharram..
i'm not get one now to go bluewater... sailed ok but too expose to element... a catamaran for the frugal sailor...
Old 13-08-2015, 06:32   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccara View Post

In my view you dont build a Wharram because of cost you build a Wharram out of a passion to build and a desire to trust and know your boat
I think that's absolutely true. However, you still have to be able to afford it. $400,000 in materials for a 46' boat would be out of the ball park for most people although that is a big boat. The materials cost for the 38' Tiki looks like it would be 20% of that.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:59   #35

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42

Hi! I own a Wharram Pahi 42. We bought her about 10 years ago now from the original owner/builder. I'd always dreamed of building a wharram, but as other posters have said, you can buy a used one usually much cheaper, and you get on the water immediately. But unless you get a really good one, you will likely spend a LOT of time fixing her up, and a lot of money upgrading sails and equipment, as we have. The beauty of wharrams is that you CAN do all the work yourself, and everything can be repaired. It's also easy to make (non-structural) modifications to layout, etc. As many have mentioned, most wharrams don't have a bridgedeck cabin between the hulls, but many of the larger models do have large enclosed pods with sitting headroom. Our boat is designed to have a pod, but currently we just have an open cockpit + decking. Soon I'll be making a second cockpit with foldable sprayhood to increase shelter on deck. That's the beauty, you can modify the boat to fit your needs!
James Wharram's design philosophy is safety first, and that is the primary reason why not to have a large bridgedeck cabin with sliding glass doors - a large wave drops on a wharram cat and it just runs through the decking.
Upwind performance is not great, but I suspect no worse than other catamarans. We have improved ours with a conventional bermudan cutter rig, fully-battened mainsail. Tacking has to be timed right, using the backed foresails to bring her round. But Wharrams are extremely seaworthy boats and handle big waves with ease. When it comes down to it, we all choose our boats due to a combination of factors, but beauty to the eye (at least to our own!) is one of the strongest - and personally I think Wharrams score very highly!
Good luck with your plans!
Andy
captnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:10   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnandy View Post
Hi! I own a Wharram Pahi 42. We bought her about 10 years ago now from the original owner/builder. I'd always dreamed of building a wharram, but as other posters have said, you can buy a used one usually much cheaper, and you get on the water immediately. But unless you get a really good one, you will likely spend a LOT of time fixing her up, and a lot of money upgrading sails and equipment, as we have. The beauty of wharrams is that you CAN do all the work yourself, and everything can be repaired. It's also easy to make (non-structural) modifications to layout, etc. As many have mentioned, most wharrams don't have a bridgedeck cabin between the hulls, but many of the larger models do have large enclosed pods with sitting headroom. Our boat is designed to have a pod, but currently we just have an open cockpit + decking. Soon I'll be making a second cockpit with foldable sprayhood to increase shelter on deck. That's the beauty, you can modify the boat to fit your needs!
James Wharram's design philosophy is safety first, and that is the primary reason why not to have a large bridgedeck cabin with sliding glass doors - a large wave drops on a wharram cat and it just runs through the decking.
Upwind performance is not great, but I suspect no worse than other catamarans. We have improved ours with a conventional bermudan cutter rig, fully-battened mainsail. Tacking has to be timed right, using the backed foresails to bring her round. But Wharrams are extremely seaworthy boats and handle big waves with ease. When it comes down to it, we all choose our boats due to a combination of factors, but beauty to the eye (at least to our own!) is one of the strongest - and personally I think Wharrams score very highly!
Good luck with your plans!
Andy
I agree. Here's a pic of my buddy's Wharram I hope.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's Cat.jpg
Views:	1828
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	112006
Old 01-11-2015, 05:11   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Hi! I own a Wharram Pahi 42. ...
Pics?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:39   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Pics?
Here are a couple, taken in 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	godzilla_fromOno.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	112051   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	112052  

Old 01-11-2015, 14:30   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Thanks. I do like the look of the Wharram's and a lot of James Wharram's design ideas.

Like the sail plans too. The monster mains on most modern cruising cats are not the ideal sail plan for a cruising boat (IMHO).

Maybe center board(s) or similar would help with the windward performance.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 15:06   #40

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi, im a fan. My first boat was a tiki 31, I've had monos ever since. Some of the advantages I see have been mentioned, a big one for me is you aren't sitting behind a wall and there is no slamming. I still contemplate getting a large Wharram , the accommodation for me in anything under a 42-46 just isn't enough. Also motoring range, I believe a cruising boat needs to have a range of at least 500nm if needed. I believe alot of wharram owners don't get the ashetics of their boats right, a little influence from more modern designs can make them look very cool. The simplicity is very attractive to me, and the deck space.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 15:48   #41

Quote:
Thanks. I do like the look of the Wharram's and a lot of James Wharram's design ideas.

Like the sail plans too. The monster mains on most modern cruising cats are not the ideal sail plan for a cruising boat (IMHO).

I had a short sail with James Wharram and his wife (Rita from memory) in their own cat when they visited Auckland New Zealand some years ago. It was quite big, maybe 50' / 60'? I got to helm it for a while and it balanced nicely. They had 2 dagger boards in each hull ( total 4) possibly 1/4 way in from each end. It had wheel steering and when I suggested it felt there was a bit of lee helm they ran around and adjusted the dagger boards until it felt perfect.
It would do me if I had somewhere to keep it.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 15:52   #42

Boat: Catalina 470

I believe Wharrams boat is a 63 pahi. That's the other issue, where do you keep a boat with that footprint? Here in Asia not a problem but Australia!

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 16:10   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I believe Wharrams boat is a 63 pahi. That's the other issue, where do you keep a boat with that footprint? Here in Asia not a problem but Australia!

It's got about the deck area of a tennis court or more. You wouldn't want to keep it anywhere. Just keep sailing.
Old 01-11-2015, 21:30   #44

Quote:

Yes, the cutter rig is very flexible. We have both a yankee and genoa with the staysail, so combinations of these with reefed main keep the boat well under control. She sails well with just staysail and double or triple reefed main.

The pahi designs do have dagger boards. I removed them as they were in poor condition when we bought her. They are used more for balancing the boat rather than windward ability (as stated in another post). I'm considering fitting an end-plate on the bottom of the V-hulls. There is some evidence that these improve upwind performance by stopping the water slipping directly under the hulls...... Anyone had experience with these?
Old 01-11-2015, 23:12   #45

Quote:
Yes, the cutter rig is very flexible. We have both a yankee and genoa with the staysail, so combinations of these with reefed main keep the boat well under control. She sails well with just staysail and double or triple reefed main.

The pahi designs do have dagger boards. I removed them as they were in poor condition when we bought her. They are used more for balancing the boat rather than windward ability (as stated in another post). I'm considering fitting an end-plate on the bottom of the V-hulls. There is some evidence that these improve upwind performance by stopping the water slipping directly under the hulls...... Anyone had experience with these?
I've had no experience with them but I imagine in rough water they might pump up and down and create drag. Also they would considerably increase the wetted area as they have 2 sides. I imagine they would be difficult to clean and anti foul too.
Perhaps the Pahi rig is more optimised more for reaching than pointing. Not a defect but just the way it's designed to match the hulls and the entire concept.
You could make a couple of radio controlled models with and without end plates. Cheaper than the real thing. It would be interesting to find out.

Tags
catamaran, wharram