Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 10:44   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet
Nov - May Female Crew Key West to Belize to Bahamas

Imagine wearing a bikini while cruising on a comfortable sail boat and listening to water splash across the hulls and sounds of trade winds on the sails while underway and it is another cold, dark, and snowy winter day back home. There are starry nights and moonlit skies to see. There many tropical stops to make. When anchored there are beautiful beaches, funky little towns, fine resorts, local cuisine and local customs to enjoy and explore. There are lots of friends to be made. This is the cruising life that many people dream of and that Buffet sings about. Live the dream this season. Come for the season and stay for as long as you would like.

My boat is now on the Chesapeake Bay until mid-October. The season begins with a sail to Key West in mid-October for this year's Fantasy Fest. From there we go to Belize, then to the Bahamas and return home on May 1. Also join me to sail the Chesapeake Bay from now until early October

I am interested in a female crew-mate to share this wonderful adventure with. Although I would like to have one crew member for the entire time I also understand that some people cannot be away for so many months. If you cannot stay for the 6 months please do not let that deter you from contacting me

I need assistance with sailing, docking, cooking, keeping the boat clean and maintained, and to provide companionship. Some sailing experience would be great but if you have not logged hundreds or even thousands of nautical miles, dont worry. Sailing is not hard to pick up. I will share with you what I know. The boat is safe, clean, well maintained, and well equipped. It features a large cockpit, air conditioning (when in port), washing machine, water-maker, auto-pilot, GPS, 3 spacious berths (each with head), televisions, 2 refrigerators & freezer, and many other features. Pets, partners, parties, drunks, liars, and substance abusers are deal breakers and completely unacceptable. Social drinking and recreational weed use is ok
Old 21-07-2018, 18:40   #2

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Nov - May Female Crew Key West to Belize to Bahamas

You do know this isnt a dating site right?
Old 21-07-2018, 19:14   #3

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyH View Post
Imagine wearing a bikini while cruising on a comfortable sail boat and listening to water splash across the hulls and sounds of trade winds on the sails while underway and it is another cold, dark, and snowy winter day back home. There are starry nights and moonlit skies to see. There many tropical stops to make. When anchored there are beautiful beaches, funky little towns, fine resorts, local cuisine and local customs to enjoy and explore. There are lots of friends to be made. This is the cruising life that many people dream of and that Buffet sings about. Live the dream this season. Come for the season and stay for as long as you would like.

My boat is now on the Chesapeake Bay until mid-October. The season begins with a sail to Key West in mid-October for this year's Fantasy Fest. From there we go to Belize, then to the Bahamas and return home on May 1. Also join me to sail the Chesapeake Bay from now until early October

I am interested in a female crew-mate to share this wonderful adventure with. Although I would like to have one crew member for the entire time I also understand that some people cannot be away for so many months. If you cannot stay for the 6 months please do not let that deter you from contacting me

I need assistance with sailing, docking, cooking, keeping the boat clean and maintained, and to provide companionship. Some sailing experience would be great but if you have not logged hundreds or even thousands of nautical miles, dont worry. Sailing is not hard to pick up. I will share with you what I know. The boat is safe, clean, well maintained, and well equipped. It features a large cockpit, air conditioning (when in port), washing machine, water-maker, auto-pilot, GPS, 3 spacious berths (each with head), televisions, 2 refrigerators & freezer, and many other features. Pets, partners, parties, drunks, liars, and substance abusers are deal breakers and completely unacceptable. Social drinking and recreational weed use is ok
Don't forget to pack some of those cardboard celebrity cut-outs for parties from Steve Martin's "The Lonely Guy."
Old 21-07-2018, 19:15   #4

the ad does not say anything about dating. i prefer sailing with girls. is that not ok?
Old 21-07-2018, 19:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyH View Post
the ad does not say anything about dating. i prefer sailing with girls. is that not ok?
There are a lot of married guys here whose spouses also read the forum. So those guys have to pretend sailing with girls other then your SO is not OK. ))
Old 21-07-2018, 20:42   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Johnny and welcome to CF.

Interesting approach, but I wonder if posing such a rosy picture of sailing, will help you find the right crew?

Will it just be the two of you?

Good luck, have fun but if just the two, make sure she can cover your back if things go sideways.
Old 22-07-2018, 03:57   #7

thank you pelagic. this will be my 6th season. we are in a harbor every night. if there is a chance of bad weather we do not leave
Old 22-07-2018, 08:30   #8

..........."must have own boat" and "send picture , of boat " ... LOL
Old 22-07-2018, 08:38   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

From a woman's perspective, it does not sound like a dating proposition. But starting off by telling the reader they will be wearing a bikini gives your post a certain vibe. Being a woman on a boat with a man that she does now know has the potential to be uncomfortable, especially since you only want one crew. Most women have experienced unwanted aggressive advances from men in all areas of our life. Sailing with just one man who you have no history of is probably not the most comfortable thing for single women.

In your profile you mention you have a fiancee. ?
Old 22-07-2018, 08:48   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
From a woman's perspective, it does not sound like a dating proposition. But starting off by telling the reader they will be wearing a bikini gives your post a certain vibe. Being a woman on a boat with a man that she does now know has the potential to be uncomfortable, especially since you only want one crew. Most women have experienced unwanted aggressive advances from men in all areas of our life. Sailing with just one man who you have no history of is probably not the most comfortable thing for single women.

In your profile you mention you have a fiancee. ?
Don't many women wear bikinis on boats? In fact I can not remember any woman on my boats over the years not wearing a bikini.

Is it possible that there's actually quite a few women that would see this offer for what it is, a chance to crew on a catamaran heading south through the carribean with a guy that would prefer to have a lady onboard rather than a guy? I know that there is because I've met them and are still friends with them after the voyages have ended.
Old 22-07-2018, 08:58   #11

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Of course women wear bikinis on a boat. I was just observing how that might make a woman feel like it is a high priority to him. And Yes, it is also a great opportunity for us women, if we know enough to feel comfortable. I have had some great crew on my boat, and some that creeped me out.
Old 22-07-2018, 09:07   #12

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

... just wonder, if such an ad works in real life ...

please post how many pm / offers you've got from woman in bikini shape. Very inspiring [emoji1]
Old 22-07-2018, 10:04   #13

If'n I were you, I'd apply for employment at your closest Whole Foods grocery store: I'd bet a weeks' pay that between now and October you'll cross paths with a candidate or two.
Old 22-07-2018, 10:11   #14

We have acquaintances where the g/f (now his ex) was in precisely such situation a few years back (with another guy). She was then recently divorced, her daughter left for US to study, her income in the old country was significantly diminished by that divorce and her prospects for better life were dim at the time as in the old country 40 is the age for dating cemetery for single women (actually 30-35 but she was good looking enough to push it to 40).

She responded to precisely such ad from a West European gentleman (in his late 50s) with a 45-50 foot boat. She had zero boating experience, other than an occasional river cruise or some such. Turned out the guy was a widower (or divorced, I forget now). He did not lie or what have you and the boat was in good shape, etc. They met at some Greek or Turkish coastal town to where he bought her air ticket from her old country. While she did not become an avid sailor she says this was the best 9 months of her life as they traveled all over the Med and she saw places and met people she would've never seen or met otherwise. Oh and yes while on the boat they have "dated" as according to her he was not a bad looking guy and from her looks she certainly was not a bad looking lady, so they clicked.

She says she wanted to settle down and live closer to her daughter in US and he was not just the type a guy for that so they amicably parted ways. According to her, they still keep in touch and she gets offers to join him in his travels, etc.

I think the knee jerk reaction to the OP here is the "American thing" and in most of the rest of the world would not be looked at with such skepticism, animosity or disdain.
Old 22-07-2018, 10:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
If'n I were you, I'd apply for employment at your closest Whole Foods grocery store: I'd bet a weeks' pay that between now and October you'll cross paths with a candidate or two.
Not if he knows where and how to look. If he posts such an ad on any of the East European-themed forums or better yet dating sites he'd have a line of candidates around the block. Yes he'd need some ability to weed out scammers, etc but still would have a considerable number of pretty candidates. Or two.

PS These days language or lack thereof is not a barrier thanks to google translate, etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, Belize, crew, key west