Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 12:44   #1

Boat: 1985 S2 9.2
1985 S2 9.2C; my first sailboat

ARGH --- I hate sideways pics.

Hi Folks.

I recently purchased my first sailboat (and boat). It's a 1985 S2 9.2C (center cockpit). It sat on the hard for 3 years. The Seller to me purchased it in Nov, 2016 and did 5 months of work including new head, painted mast, upgraded the electronics, installed AC, replaced all the hoses and belt on Yanmar 2GM, and painted the bottom. This has been a freshwater boat for a few years.

I'm planning on a few upgrades to the galley and I also need a bimini. My plan is for this to be lake (Pickwick) boat and sail as much as I can. I'm self-employed (under and unemployed, at present), so I can get to the boat during the week. The old CNG stove doesn't work; I've removed it along with the CNG bottle. YIKES! The sink is useless to me....it's deep, but not wide enough. And then, there is the original icebox.

I have purchased a Plastimo Gulf 2000 propane 2 burner stove. My plan is to add a propane tank to the stern rail. The stove control knobs are on the front, so a few modifications are necessary to the galley cabinet. No big deal for me. I'm a genuine handyman with a touch of perfectionist.

Summary: I have three challenges: Icebox, Sink, and Bimini

The icebox is probably the biggest challenge. I've read numerous refrigeration mod/upgrade threads. I don't need a freezer; however, some type of powered refrigerator is necessary. I've already bought a portable ice maker because how can you have a drink without ice . I don't plan on being away from the dock for more than a week; however, it would be nice to leave some stuff in the fridge for next week.

A few questions:
Should I tear out the existing icebox and rebuild from scratch?
Or should I add insulation to the inside of it?
I don't know the current dimensions of the icebox; however, I have to believe that 2018 insulation is better than 1985 insulation.
I'm leaning toward trying a KECO Eco Cooler because of my location, lake water temperature, ease of installation and use, etc.

Sink: I have pressured water and even a hot water heater (although, I think the element is burned out). I have a non-functioning foot pump that will probably just be removed. I'm planning on putting a smallish sink back in, but it doesn't have to be so deep. Anyone have any input?

Bimini: Here's the challenge with a center cockpit. The 9.2C traveller is located at the back edge of the cockpit. I can stand behind the wheel and have about 1.5 inches between the boom and the top of my head. A bimini frame and cover may just barely fit. Should I attempt to make a model out of PVC to figure out best placement of various upright poles/stanchions/braces ? The 9.2C does have a dodger, at present. Ideally, I'd like the bimini collapsible and the dodger removable for certain sailing days.

I will attempt to add some pics to this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2066.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	171718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2035.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	171719  

Name:	IMG_2047.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	171720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	171721  

Name:	IMG_2251.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	171722  

daw_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 16:11   #2

Re: 1985 S2 9.2C; my first sailboat

There are free and easy photo editing tools available for your computing platform.

john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 20:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
There are free and easy photo editing tools available for your computing platform.
So, John. Thanks for the reply. The pics were "correct" when I emailed them to my desktop from my phone. So, would the pics need to be oriented 90 degrees to the right in order to upload correctly?
Old 14-06-2018, 21:52   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Try shrinking the photos. If you export them to your desktop first it should be possible, it is with iPhoto.
Not sure about advice for icebox.
Sounds like realistically you'll need to stoop if you get a bimini, but it'll probably be worth it.
I like foot pumps personally, they are simple, easy and you waste less water IMO. I'd fix/replace it.
Good luck and congratulations! I really like those S2s!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 05:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daw_two View Post
So, John. Thanks for the reply. The pics were "correct" when I emailed them to my desktop from my phone. So, would the pics need to be oriented 90 degrees to the right in order to upload correctly?
Seems like maybe this forum prefers landscape over portrait orientation.

Square works well as a universal.

You could crop, rotate and reduce file size, then post them to forums all from your phone.

Or use a photo sharing site like Imgur, just post links in forums.
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:17   #6

Boat: S2 9.2C

HI there. Congratulations on your S2. I also have an S2 9.2C (1981). If I were to modify the galley, I would rebuild one from scratch with the desired items figured into the design. I have a two burner alcohol stove that I'd love to replace with a gimballed stove / oven. That would mean removing the drawers. A redesign of the galley would probably be the best solution for me. I'm also thinking of removing the seat at the "nav station" to make the galley longer. Perhaps locating the fridge there would leave plenty of room for counter space and a double sink.

I cannot stand under the boom. I'm 5'8". Is your boom positioned higher? I'd love to install a Bimini but I don't think crouching under it is desirable.
RMatichak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:20   #7

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Skipping from presentation to the actual issues:

Two boats ago, I had a 1990 Sovereign 28 (or 30), essentially the same boat as yours. I believe it was a stretched version of the next-size-down S2. Since Sovereign was out of business by 1990 (thank you luxury tax) I bought it from the glass guy(Custom Fiberglass) in Florida who still had access to the molds. I finished it from a bare hull during a very hectic summer. Cherry interior was really nice.

One of the things I did was to refrigerate the existing icebox. It was done with an air-cooled Adler-Barbour unit, with the plate in a box-shape (creates a mini freezer) placed near the middle of the ice box so I could reach in and under the top, not blocking the opening. The rest of the system was under a seat to the left of the icebox, with a computer fan to assist ventilation. I remember squirting loads (four or five cans) of expanding foam behind, around and, and under the icebox. If you go this way, get it right the first time. My refrigerator worked great. Total cost to buy and install was reasonable (how much is reasonable in order to get cold beer?)

I also fabricated a bimini frame from 1" ss tubing and sewed up a serviceable cover on the second attempt. It was in front of the traveller, and I had to be careful about gybes, but all told it was fairly effective.

The sink I left in place. It was fiberglass and it did the job. More important was putting on solar panels, more battery storage and an electric windlass, since I sail by myself.

Comments on the boat itself: generally a good concept, trailerable with room for four and 6-foot headroom. Pretty tippy with a 8'4" beam. Only 3'10" draft on a 33/4 keel, however, it still needed a crane since most ramps aren't deep enough. Okay for coastal cruising if you're careful.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMatichak View Post
HI there. Congratulations on your S2. I also have an S2 9.2C (1981). If I were to modify the galley, I would rebuild one from scratch with the desired items figured into the design. I have a two burner alcohol stove that I'd love to replace with a gimballed stove / oven. That would mean removing the drawers. A redesign of the galley would probably be the best solution for me. I'm also thinking of removing the seat at the "nav station" to make the galley longer. Perhaps locating the fridge there would leave plenty of room for counter space and a double sink.

I cannot stand under the boom. I'm 5'8". Is your boom positioned higher? I'd love to install a Bimini but I don't think crouching under it is desirable.
I am 6'2" and can stand under the boom behind the wheel. Perhaps, my boom is higher or you are standing on your tiptoes because you are excited to be sailing .

The Plastimo Gulf 2000 is a 2 burner (gimbal attachments came with it) without an oven.

I will be modifying the "nav station seat". It will become storage or the compressor/coils for fridge will be located there.....if it fits.

I keep looking at the Nav Station and thinking that space could be better utilized. Maybe some removed shelves. I might relocate the AC breaker panel to be port side facing; perhaps under the DC breaker panel. Being able to remove the Nav Station writing surface to have top access to the engine is a plus.
Old Yesterday, 10:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Skipping from presentation to the actual issues:

One of the things I did was to refrigerate the existing icebox. It was done with an air-cooled Adler-Barbour unit, with the plate in a box-shape (creates a mini freezer) placed near the middle of the ice box so I could reach in and under the top, not blocking the opening. The rest of the system was under a seat to the left of the icebox, with a computer fan to assist ventilation. I remember squirting loads (four or five cans) of expanding foam behind, around and, and under the icebox. If you go this way, get it right the first time. My refrigerator worked great. Total cost to buy and install was reasonable (how much is reasonable in order to get cold beer?)

I also fabricated a bimini frame from 1" ss tubing and sewed up a serviceable cover on the second attempt. It was in front of the traveller, and I had to be careful about gybes, but all told it was fairly effective.

The sink I left in place. It was fiberglass and it did the job. More important was putting on solar panels, more battery storage and an electric windlass, since I sail by myself.

Comments on the boat itself: generally a good concept, trailerable with room for four and 6-foot headroom. Pretty tippy with a 8'4" beam. Only 3'10" draft on a 33/4 keel, however, it still needed a crane since most ramps aren't deep enough. Okay for coastal cruising if you're careful.
Agree about the icebox....I might just tear it all out and build a custom size icebox from foam board, etc, etc.

1" stainless steel frame for bimini; my thoughts exactly.

My sink is stainless steel not fiberglass, but too narrow and way deep. I plan to add some solar and increase the battery plant.

My boat has the deeper draft; 4'10" if I recall correctly. I am 6'2" and can stand straight up in about a 4 foot area in front of the sink, stove, and part of the saloon.

Tags
sailboat, sail, boat