Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 07:28   #31
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Can I add a fourth battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Barry posted an image of the 95Ah batteries with the part number. Likely the 100h are similar.

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-...ic/595-402-080
Likely, possibly, maybe.

I am not familiar with this particular brand of battery, but Inam pretty savvy with FLA batteries in general, Trojan, Rolls Surrette, Crown, US Battery, and East Penn in particular.

I have discussions with customers about battery technology and charging system design constantly.

My guess is that because the maker lists A-hrs as well as CCA, that they are intended to be dual purpose, starting /deep cycle.

Are they the highest quality batteries for deep cycle applications? Don’t know. Prolly not.

How many deep cycles to 50% DOD? Don’t know.

How many cycles to 80% DOD? (The OP has 600W of solar.) Don’t know.

How often will they be at anchor and not on a shore power charger? Don’t know.

If he monitors them, and doesn’t prematurely kill them through abuse, how long will they last? Don’t know.

Will they provide excellent service over their life, if treated properly? Should.

Would I rip out perfectly good batteries to put in something better?

No. I’d see how long they provided excellent service, and at end of life, decide if that was acceptable, or if I wanted to pay more for something to last longer.

It depends on so many factors.

For example, if they reached the end of life after 3 years, and I was planning on selling in 6 months, I’d recommend replace with same. If they reached end of life in one year, and I had no intention of selling, I would look at higher quality batteries.

Proper charging system modification requires a wholistic approach to balance storage capacity and charge capacity with energy demand. We can’t look at one thing in isolation and recommend a single solution. Too many variables. Too many options. Different needs, wants, and budget.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 04:46   #32

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I’d like to see an 800 amp 12v battery.
I would too- I just don’t want to have to pick it up. Most sailboat battery compartments are cramped bordering on the inaccessible, even if you can find a gorilla to lift an 800 amp battery.
I’ve used a bank of four for 23 years, and using short, properly-sized interconnect cables with tight terminals and clean posts I’ver never had problems I would blame on the nature of the bank. And since all batteries eventually die, they rarely die together, which allows me to stagger replacement costs. And while removal is not fun, it is doable.
Mickeyrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 09:16   #33
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes it feels like a bigger expense, but

you would get both better performance and significantly lower cost per year replacing the whole bank at once.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 14:21   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
I would too- I just don’t want to have to pick it up. Most sailboat battery compartments are cramped bordering on the inaccessible, even if you can find a gorilla to lift an 800 amp battery.
I’ve used a bank of four for 23 years, and using short, properly-sized interconnect cables with tight terminals and clean posts I’ver never had problems I would blame on the nature of the bank. And since all batteries eventually die, they rarely die together, which allows me to stagger replacement costs. And while removal is not fun, it is doable.

You need to learn the difference between battery capacity which is specified in amp hours and cranking power which is specified in amps.

No need for a gorilla. 800 CCA is only about 600 MCA (different reference temperature).
You can get that in a 10 Kg motorcycle battery that a monkey could lift.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 16:33   #35
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

You made exactly the same snide commentary over a week ago in this exact thread.

Let it go dood
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 20:09   #36

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You need to learn the difference between battery capacity which is specified in amp hours and cranking power which is specified in amps.

No need for a gorilla. 800 CCA is only about 600 MCA (different reference temperature).
You can get that in a 10 Kg motorcycle battery that a monkey could lift.
No doubt I need to learn much. I use the term to keep it comparable. Many more hairs could no doubt be split. I believe the OP was referring to Group 24 or possibly Group 27 size batteries, regardless of whether he ref’d amp hours or CCA. And few monkeys will lift either one. Are many people placing any number of motorcycle batteries in either battery bank? Boaters being who they are, some, no doubt.
Mickeyrouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, grass