Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 17:34   #1

Westerbeke 4.5 help

Hadn't used the generator most of the year, and off course it wouldn't start. (In a 92 Regal 272 Commodore). After some troubleshooting it wasn't getting spark. Ended up putting new distributor cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs in it and viola fired right up....... with an awful squeal.

A little more troubleshooting, and the water pump was somehow completely seized up. Took it home, rebuilt it, and put it back on today. Now the generator won't start. Weird because it ran fine last trip (minus the belt slipping on the water pump) and now it wont start.

I started messing around, and if I hold the choke butterfly in the carb completely closed it will fire right up and run like a charm. As soon as I let off it dies. The electric choke does seem to be working, it almost closes all the way when trying to start, but I have to really close it to get it to fire.

Anyone have an idea what these symptoms would be caused from? I let the generator run for a minute or two thinking it would warm up and I could let off but still will only run with that butterfly valve CLOSED.

jryley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 17:47   #2

Re: Westerbeke 4.5 help

Sounds like the main jet is plugged.

DougR

DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 03:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jryley.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 09:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Sounds like the main jet is plugged.

DougR
Doug, so do you think Iíve having to choke it for air because itís not getting enough fuel? Guess Iíll pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning.
jryley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 10:00   #5

Gasoline is pulled into the air flowing thru a carburetor as a result of the pressure difference between the low pressure in the Venturi and the higher pressure in the float bowl.

My experience is that if the engine will run only with the choke closed or mostly closed, it's because of fuel flow restrictions. The low pressure can't pull enough fuel to keep the engine running.

Closing the choke part or all the way increases the low pressure in the carb throat and thus pulls more fuel than it would normally get, enriching the mixture and allowing the engine to run.

I think you are on the right track by cleaning the carb.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 18:08   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Take apart and clean the carborator, I think. Or adjust jets. Check pump pressure, fuel flow.

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke