Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 07:54   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Attempt at un-effing boat's electrical system

To the OP...

Congratulations for having the good common sense to have the boat properly surveyed.

I can’t tell you how many times I hear, “but that cost a lot of money and the boat isn’t worth it.”

Seriously?

Koodo’s.

You have taken the correct first step to owning a safe and seaworthy boat.

What you do next is your call.

Contrary to what some may believe, I have no problem with a boater performing DIY work. In fact, I help lots of them. I just recommend that if they aren’t willing to invest the time, money, and effort on learning (not just reading) the standards, and developing the required skills to properly perform the work, they hire a “certified”pro.

And if you do perform DIY work, have it inspected by a properly certified surveyor or technician, to verify it is correct and meets standards.

Even if you managed to install and perhaps rework the installation one or more times to get it to appear to work, doesn’t mean it is as safe and reliable as it should be.

FWIW, the poorest DIY installations I see are bilge pumps and VHF radios, items that demand reliable performance on any boat.

These same owners post on internet forums that to have it done right, one must do it themselves.

Yeah right.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:13   #32

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Attempt at un-effing boat's electrical system

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
I just recommend that if they aren’t willing to invest the time, money, and effort on learning (not just reading) the standards, and developing the required skills to properly perform the work, they hire a “certified”pro.

And if you do perform DIY work, have it inspected by a properly certified surveyor or technician, to verify it is correct and meets standards.
I think this is incredibly important. When I do my own work, it often results in doing it 3-5x before I feel it is right.

I also firmly believe in after completing the work, bringing someone out who is reputable and properly certified to inspect it. I've done this with major structural fiberglass work and will be doing the same thing with my electrical system when completed.

I dont have hard numbers, but I would guess my costs probably are the same(excluding labor) due to the fact thay I do it multiple times to get it right. But in the end I have it done right and I know how the system works and how to fix problems in the future(I believe skills will be needed for cruising far and wide in the future).

But as other said, DIY people who properly do it are few and far between due to the fact that most owners just want to "get it done". Ones who are of that mind set are ones who have garbage systems or work IMO.

I

chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal, electric, electrical, electrical system