Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 00:52   #16

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Water Tank Thread - Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Cherp, are you sure the threads have not been loused up from the wrong fittings being used. You may wish to retap with a known thread?
That is a possibility, but as I don't know what thread it is, I can't retap.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 00:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
Hard to believe it would not be a US thread of some type, likely female pipe thread. Use a nylon bushing and teflon tape.
I reckon it is a US thread of some type. Maybe female pipe thread. I think gauges are the only answer although I am not sure where to borrow/acquire some of those....or even if somebody hires them out.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:40   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

My gut feeling is that it is a NPT female thread and at some time in Australia, someone has forced a male BSP thread into it and being Al, has damaged the existing threads (BSP is common here).

FWIW, at least in the smaller sizes, a male NPT can be inserted into a female BSP but it is not a a good seal unless a goodly amount of sealant is used. However trying the opposite (male BSP into female NPT) does not fit and if forced, causes thread damage.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Hi. This is a long shot. We have a Catalina Morgan 45 from 1998, built in Florida. It has aluminium water tanks (not good) and they have a threaded fitting welded into them. I have been trying to determine what thread is used, with no success so far. It's close to one-and-a-quarter BSP ( 32 mm aperture in the fitting). Have tried BSP and one-and-a-quarter NPT but they bind up. Anybody have a clue what thread they used? SAE? Metric? Voodoo?
CaptVR here, retired marine surveyor. Instead of wasting any more time in trying to find the appropriate threaded fitting. Go to a well driller, water pump installer, etc. Most will either lend you or rent you a 1 1/4" tap, with a deposit. This tap is about $50 bucks, so expect that for the deposit. That tap, and a Cresent wrench, and a bit of cooking oil for lube, will give you a new set of threads for a water tank. Being a pipe tap is a taper thread, a bit of over tapping will not be detrimental and a new fitting will work perfectly..
Even if this is a metric or another bastard size, for whatever fitting. If a 1 1/4" fitting starts, this tap ran in around 1/2 to 3/4 of the taps threaded length would be acceptable for a water tank. Safe Sailing All, Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:44   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
You can retap if there is enough meat, you can't chase out the threads without knowing. Good luck I hope you find the right fitting and it's not a bastard, which I doubt.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 18:47   #21

Quote:
Sure you can, what makes you think that you can't. That's the beauty of a tapered pipe thread. I've done it a hundred times over 55 years. After the re-tap, use teflon tape, note plumbers goop. Tighten down the fitting. You will not have any problems.. Your making problems that don't exist.
Iv'e built 6 boats, 2 airplanes and full refits on probably 50 boats. What I told you will work, I'm not guessing like most folks responding to your sight, I've done it...
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 20:00   #22

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Send an email to Catalina and ask.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:11   #23

[QUOTE=CF32907;2991779]CaptVR here, retired marine surveyor. Instead of wasting any more time in trying to find the appropriate threaded fitting. Go to a well driller, water pump installer, etc. Most will either lend you or rent you a 1 1/4" tap, with a deposit. This tap is about $50 bucks, so expect that for the deposit. That tap, and a Cresent wrench, and a bit of cooking oil for lube, will give you a new set of threads for a water tank. Being a pipe tap is a taper thread, a bit of over tapping will not be detrimental and a new fitting will work perfectly..

Will try that. I kinda like the idea of driving a new tap through it.....at least I will know what it is.

Tags
water