Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 14:09   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 89
Re: OpenCPN RaspberryPi4 Ubuntu 18.04.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Was that with the graphics accelerator enabled in raspbian?
Yes. Ran it both ways.

Cheers
Spart
__________________

sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 14:18   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 89
Re: OpenCPN RaspberryPi4 Ubuntu 18.04.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSea View Post
can you tell us what kind of architecture you're using? I suspect arm64 ...



WTF



+1
Linux ubuntu 4.19.76-v8+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 4 17:45:10 MDT 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

The firmware is identical between raspbian and Ubuntu.


Why when I can do this on Ubuntu and have a much more pleasant experience. The raspbian version is coming from the ubuntu repos just no candidate for this arch so that's why I compiled it. Just can't get the plugins to compile.

Cheers
Spart
__________________

sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 14:28   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 4,677
Re: OpenCPN RaspberryPi4 Ubuntu 18.04.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
Why when I can do this on Ubuntu and have a much more pleasant experience.
With backsea on this a bit, if it's for a boat why would you even see the operating system..
Openplotter willndo all the installong6 for youb, signalk and opencpn, it's based around raspbian. Then when it's t6rned on that's it, just runs and no need to go near a desktop. Mine is on all year, usually signalk or influxdb database accessed over wifi so the Pi rarely gets touched.
If you dont have signalk then missing out on one of the best things since sliced bread on a boat. Add influxdb and have a sigK app send every bit of data coming in to the database. Gold dust!
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 14:38   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 89
Re: OpenCPN RaspberryPi4 Ubuntu 18.04.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
With backsea on this a bit, if it's for a boat why would you even see the operating system..
Openplotter willndo all the installong6 for youb, signalk and opencpn, it's based around raspbian. Then when it's t6rned on that's it, just runs and no need to go near a desktop. Mine is on all year, usually signalk or influxdb database accessed over wifi so the Pi rarely gets touched.
If you dont have signalk then missing out on one of the best things since sliced bread on a boat. Add influxdb and have a sigK app send every bit of data coming in to the database. Gold dust!
Yeah we will eventually get to next gen stuff. We use the Rpi as more than a nav com its our boat pc, media centre etc. Fantastic little piece of kit and a spare one in the cupboard if we have an issue.

Hopefully one of the devs will have an answer to compile the plugins and off we go. Zygrib just installed from the repos.

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 14:53   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 4,677
Re: OpenCPN RaspberryPi4 Ubuntu 18.04.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
Yeah we will eventually get to next gen stuff. We use the Rpi as more than a nav com its our boat pc, media centre etc. Fantastic little piece of kit and a spare one in the cupboard if we have an issue.
Same here, hifiberry amp piggy backed onto with clementine playing music, podcasts etc , wrote a tiny bit of python and node red to play web radio, sdr radio with a fun cube dongle so can recieve from near dc to 2.3Ghz with everything in between. Pi3 just copes with that running gqrx. An esp32 sends engine temperature, batt voltage & current plus barometer pressure over wifi as signalk which signalk saves to a data influxdb database then makes charts with chronograf. Node red is great, signalk has a node red app so no need to install. Quite easy to make a dashboard to control an esp usong mqtt.
Zygrib already there in the Openplotter image but opencpn does a fine job as it is.
Incredible what a humble pi can do, not even a b plus.

Still can't see the point of not using raspbian though....
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 15:15   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 89
Re: OpenCPN RaspberryPi4 Ubuntu 18.04.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Same here, hifiberry amp piggy backed onto with clementine playing music, podcasts etc , wrote a tiny bit of python and node red to play web radio, sdr radio with a fun cube dongle so can recieve from near dc to 2.3Ghz with everything in between. Pi3 just copes with that running gqrx. An esp32 sends engine temperature, batt voltage & current plus barometer pressure over wifi as signalk which signalk saves to a data influxdb database then makes charts with chronograf. Node red is great, signalk has a node red app so no need to install. Quite easy to make a dashboard to control an esp usong mqtt.
Zygrib already there in the Openplotter image but opencpn does a fine job as it is.
Incredible what a humble pi can do, not even a b plus.

Still can't see the point of not using raspbian though....
Simple answer is because its what we are comfortable with and what we know. It's smart and modern and is a primary development platform for most things. Also we use the same LTS version on all our laptops desktops etc. The only windows in our world is my work laptop and that is only because there is no BYOD policy yet

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 15:42   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 4,677
Re: OpenCPN RaspberryPi4 Ubuntu 18.04.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
Simple answer is because its what we are comfortable with and what we know.
Lot to be said for that

Personally I'll stick with openplotter on raspbian. Enormous amount of work gone in to making sure everything is stable and just works with an active forum for any issues. Most stuff I do with the operating system is command line over ssh anyway so doesn't make much difference how pretty the desktop is.

Each to their own
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 22:01   #23
Registered User
 
pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: SE Spain
Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I
Posts: 72
Re: OpenCPN RaspberryPi4 Ubuntu 18.04.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
Ubuntu looks like it is from 2019 raspbian from 1999! There is no real price for the much more appealing and smart Ubuntu desktop.

If I can get the plugins to work then I can test appropriately.

Cheers
Spart
I also think Raspbian shows a desk that looks too old-fashioned. Don't get me wrong. Until now it was necessary as the previous Rpi 1-3 were not powerful enough to move a current desktop well. That with the Rpi 4 has changed.

But...... since Raspbian is no more than Debian adapted to Rpi, and all Debian packages are also available for Raspbian, there is nothing to prevent installing a modern desktop on Raspbian in order to enjoy both Raspbian optimizations and a current Debian desktop.

Here is my Raspbian-Gnome desktop with OpenPlotter 2 (renamed to PBoat for my business) installed:





I tested it with Rpi 4 of 2 GB of RAM and with 4 GB of RAM. With both it goes smoothly and improves a lot the user experience. I tested it on the boat out of curiosity and in the end is the one that has been installed on board.

Using Ubuntu is not ideal in the Rpi because the jump to 64 bits gives the problems you have suffered.

Raspbian-Gnome doesn't have a problem. You can use all Raspbian packages, openplotter, opencpn, their plugins etc. Only the AP access point issue gives a small problem with the GNOME network manager but it can be solved if you need it.


Luck..
__________________

pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc, opencpn

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenCPN Linux / Ubuntu Issues and Questions yachtmanforfun OpenCPN 65 24-01-2018 08:06
Ubuntu 10.10 and OpenCPN cagney OpenCPN 11 10-09-2011 10:40
OpenCPN 2.1.624 with Ubuntu 10.10 Gypsy23 OpenCPN 4 15-04-2011 00:46
Ubuntu 10.4 and OpenCPN cagney OpenCPN 24 07-01-2011 12:16
Opencpn 2.2 Build 823 Crashes when Dashboard Is Opened in Ubuntu tebsin OpenCPN 1 24-08-2010 14:16

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.