Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2019, 03:45   #1

Anti foul

Greetings all.

My boat (34 ft sail) is usually in the water in May, out in October. We sail in Lake Michigan. I've had the boat 3 yrs, an it's been 2 winters since applying AF (Sea Hawk Cukote, which is ablative). I was planning on redoing every other year. I'm wondering if that is overkill?

We do get tons of the tiny Zebra-like muscles on the areas that dont get AF coverage, like the crack between the rudder and the hull, in the thruster tube, sail drive water intake, etc. So, I'd hate to see those on the rest of the hull, it'd probably majorly slow us down.

Does anyone have experience going every 3 yrs?

I checked the product literature, and there is no specific recommendation for duration. It states one instance of "multi season." Not suprising they dont give a specific # of seasons, as it would depend a lot on the environment. I did learn this AF is designed for high speed power boats, not sail... maybe more durable (slower ablation) that way? Maybe less effective, also? I do get a slime layer sticking on pretty well after a few weeks in the water....
windpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 03:57   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Anti foul

When I was cruising Lake Superior we stopped painting every season. I would patch up the ablative where it was wearing through, but otherwise nada.

Superior is colder than Michigan though. In fact, the zebra mussels hadn’t taken hold there because of the cold water, so hopefully other Michigan sailors will chime in.
Old 25-09-2019, 07:12   #3

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Re: Anti foul

I don't have any antifoul on near Chicago, the mussels tend to attach themselves to crevices and chips in the non antifoul paint the PO put on. Not many mussels on smooth hull, that's mostly soft growth.

I've heard stories of some people claiming the right antifoul can last several years on the Great Lakes. If your ablative hasn't worn off when you haul next month, I would leave it.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote