Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2019, 10:51   #16

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini
Re: Looking for Advice - Boat Buying in Florida

Even if you use a broker, you MUST do all the homework yourself, otherwise you'll buy the wrong boat at the wrong price!

When I went shopping for my last boat I looked at over 300 ads to just get an idea of what was available, then I made up my mind what I really wanted in my boat. Now that I know what style of sailboat, price range, and condition I was looking for I made a spreadsheet of all that appealed to me.

I winnowed down the sheet to the "Final Five" and became even more critical of the specs of my new to me boat, added in the cost of repairs & upgrades (some came with cruising equipment, some not) I could now narrow it down to 1 or 2 and again looked at what I was getting.

In the end I got what I felt was a good price for a good solid boat at an affordable price.

BTW, the broker lived in another city, had never seen the boat & didn't know any details other than the Electronics need replacing! He did come on the sea trails, but other than that he was useless in all respects. His brokerage did all the paper work and such, not him.

It's pretty much the same as buying a house, do it all yourself to make sure you get what you want.

Capt. Wayne

Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, florida