Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2019, 17:13   #46

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft
Re: Custom Tether Design: Absorption & Reflectivity Questions

Sorry for the terse reply, danger of the phone interface when in a rush.

The fall arrestor I listed was typical, and similar to what I used. My choice was driven by what was available at the moment. I like it because it is 2 inches, so doesn't elongate the shortest tether. As asked previously, a grigri would work though would add 4" to the contraption, and complexity, but would resolve any doubt about release under tension.

All in all, I was seeking a solution that was compact (so that I would use it routinely), and flexible so that it served the known functions. In theory this assembly meets those goals, but the choice of components may benefit from some constructive critique or ridicule.
andrzej0nl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 08:06   #47

Boat: no sail boat yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzej0nl1ne View Post
I'm trying a slightly different approach. I used about 5ft of ~8mm dynamic climbing rope (shortest length that reaches my foredeck) with a climbing fall arrestor at the harness end. This allows me to use a single tether and adjust it to the shortest length possible by pulling in or letting out line through the fall arrestor.

My Jack line is dynema loop stretched tight on either side of the cabin top. I've never tested this in anger, but I have fallen when climbing so aware of the issues.

I use a kong on the far end and a screw carabiner on the harness. I'm not a fan of the unvoluntary quick release snap shackle. I prefer the theory that I can release the line through the fall arrestor, even under tension, if that's the need.

Curious about your thoughts on this setup.
This really does seem like a great idea.

I wonder if you used an ascender if this might even minimize issues getting back on board if you failed to keep it short enough and got knocked off? Are there any 'locking' ascenders?
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 08:59   #48

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft

There are small ascenders that can be used, but that inexpensive fall arrestor i referenced can perform the same function, but I think better. In fact because it is clipped to your harness, you can lever yourself up the rope path. Where it has a disadvantage is if you want to release yourself from the line (as in cut the line, release the snap shackle). With the small (cheap) arrestor, there's lots of tension on the line which is keeping the cam tight against the line (thereby stopping your fall and the line's passage through the locking cams). To release the cam-lock requires you to untention the line by hoisting yourself up 1 inch with one hand while pulling the release strap with the other. An ascender requires the same type of unloading but with both hands working on the same end of the line. Both tasks are easier to understand than to explain, and both require similar initial strength. By the way, cutting your captive line is not easy, nor is the intentional release of a snap shackle when under tension, nor the lifting of your body the 1 inch to clear the lip of any type of curved connector.
andrzej0nl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 01:15   #49

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Are the port covers for rain or UV? Do they leak? Not sure I have seen that before.

I see duck tape!!!
I was just looking at the pic that you refer to and now understand your duct tape comment. Sorry for mis-replying. The duct tape is covering the plugs in the holes where the dorades normally sit. After a bad experience with water entering the boat in some seriously heavy weather off of California on our way to Mexico, I removed the dorades, installed the supplied plugs and then duct taped the whole thing into place. Fortunately, or unfortunately, we did not have any waves breaking on the boat while crossing from Mexico to FP, so I don't know if this approach is suitably water proof.

The duct tape is now gone, the dorades are back in place, and air is moving into the boat.
Old 22-09-2019, 16:04   #50

Boat: no sail boat yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
I was just looking at the pic that you refer to and now understand your duct tape comment. Sorry for mis-replying. The duct tape is covering the plugs in the holes where the dorades normally sit. After a bad experience with water entering the boat in some seriously heavy weather off of California on our way to Mexico, I removed the dorades, installed the supplied plugs and then duct taped the whole thing into place. Fortunately, or unfortunately, we did not have any waves breaking on the boat while crossing from Mexico to FP, so I don't know if this approach is suitably water proof.

The duct tape is now gone, the dorades are back in place, and air is moving into the boat.
No problem...I was gonna let it go as I try not to argue on the interwebs any more than I have to.
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 07:04   #51

I like the idea of adjustable tether. I've been considering a Petzl adjustable tether (link below). It comes with one adjustable and one fixed leg. I'm interested in comments from those familiar with this gear. Will the adjuster hold in an arrest? Will it loosen while slack?

https://www.rei.com/product/890508/p...adjust-lanyard

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Sailbaum is offline   Reply With Quote