Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 05:01   #1

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor
Newbie - Rules on navigation

Hey guys i am brand new to boating, I was wondering what are some rules on navigating nearby to other boats and the shore? Do you normally pass on the right side? How far do you stay away from populated beaches and other boats?

Just the other day i witnessed what i thought would be a collision course between the quantam of the seas and an anchored container ship. Both about 1200 feet long, one of them was anchored near the verrazano bridge off the coast of brooklyn.
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Newbie - Rules on navigation

If you want the complete answer search this forum for one of the many previous discussions on ColRegs (Collision Regulations). To be answered properly and completely is more than a short answer to your question could ever do. Like asking, "What are the rules for driving a car on the streets and highways of the USA?"

To begin to answer, when there is some chance of collision boats will be considered "stand on" or "give way". Which is which is determined by the details of the ColRegs. Stand on means that boat should maintain course and speed so the give way boat can plan and maneuver in a way to avoid collision.

For example if you are overtaking (passing from behind) another boat then you are the give way boat and required to pass in a way that will not create a risk of collision. The other boat must stand on so you will know that your plan will be correct and safe.

BUT, if either boat does anything to create the risk of collision then it is the responsibility of the other boat to do whatever it takes to avoid collision and the requirements to stand on or give way are overruled.

Short, not complete, summary some stand on and give way situation but also note there are many factors that may overrule these basics.

Sail is stand on over power UNLESS the power boat is restricted in some way like deep draft in a narrow channel or a fishing boat dragging nets.

Overtaking boat gives way to the boat being passed. It is preferred to overtake a boat on that boat's port side, just like passing a car on US highways.

Crossing, a boat on your port would give way to you. Boat to your starboard you give way to that boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:24   #3

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If you want the complete answer search this forum for one of the many previous discussions on ColRegs (Collision Regulations). To be answered properly and completely is more than a short answer to your question could ever do. Like asking, "What are the rules for driving a car on the streets and highways of the USA?"

To begin to answer, when there is some chance of collision boats will be considered "stand on" or "give way". Which is which is determined by the details of the ColRegs. Stand on means that boat should maintain course and speed so the give way boat can plan and maneuver in a way to avoid collision.

For example if you are overtaking (passing from behind) another boat then you are the give way boat and required to pass in a way that will not create a risk of collision. The other boat must stand on so you will know that your plan will be correct and safe.

BUT, if either boat does anything to create the risk of collision then it is the responsibility of the other boat to do whatever it takes to avoid collision and the requirements to stand on or give way are overruled.

Short, not complete, summary some stand on and give way situation but also note there are many factors that may overrule these basics.

Sail is stand on over power UNLESS the power boat is restricted in some way like deep draft in a narrow channel or a fishing boat dragging nets.

Overtaking boat gives way to the boat being passed. It is preferred to overtake a boat on that boat's port side, just like passing a car on US highways.

Crossing, a boat on your port would give way to you. Boat to your starboard you give way to that boat.

thanks
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:25   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

To follow on from Skipmac's excellent summary:

You can download a copy of the Collision Regulations here:
http://www.collisionregs.com/MSN1781.pdf

For a start, you should make yourself familiar with Part B Rules 4 to 18.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

I see you are new to CF.

It is a good sign to see anyone asking questions like this so they can learn.

The “Rules” of how to safely navigate or pilot a boat are something every boater (sail or power boats) should study. They are very important, and could help save your life, help you avoid costly damages, and will make your time on the water less stressful. “Not knowing” the rules is not an excuse in the court of law. If you are operating a boat, you should have a good, basic understanding of the rules that apply to all vessels on the water.

You can do so by reading something known as the COLREGS and Inland Water Rules in books and on websites. Here are two links to free booklets online that are good to read and study.
Abbreviated Guide To Navigation Rules Of the Road - 2009. (4 pages guide or essentials)
https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cgcvc/cvc3/r..._Reference.pdf

Navigation Rules- US Coast Guard - 2015. (203 pages full document)
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRu...B_20151231.pdf

You can also buy a paperback copy of these rules.
Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook: August 2014 Edition: Containing International and Inland Rules of the Road and Their Respective Annexes. Pertinent Regulations for Waterway Users Paperback – September 18, 2014
About $10.
https://amzn.to/2tWcTQF

Here is a short list of books I put together for Newbies to Boating who want to learn these basics about the rules and about how to read a navigation chart (a very important skill for any boater). This link is to Amazon where you can purchase the books as either paper or downloadable “Kindle” version (which can be read on tablets and iPads with a free Kindle app).
https://amzn.to/2Nh77C5

You can supplement that study by reading some of the many discussions here on CF. Here is a link to the archive or previous discussions. You could spend some hours reading these discussions. Just be aware that you can learn a lot by reading these discussions, but they do contain a range of opinions, some will not agree, some may be factually inaccurate. It is best to first read the official “rules” (COLREGS) before diving into reading these discussions.
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...=1613j642127j6

Want to read a single book for a solid foundation on boating?

One of the best books I can recommend to anyone who is new to boating is a classic that has been helping sailors and boaters understand boating for literally 100 years. While it has been around for 100 years, it is often updated with new editions (October 2017 was the 68th edition). It is a book most boats have in their library. In this book you will learn much, if you read it cover to cover (I did when I was a boy). Be aware that it has many editions, and make sure you get the latest edition (e.g. amazon) because it does have updated information about recent electronics and electronic navigation regarding AIS and GPS etc. This one book will give you a good foundation. It has much more in it than just the “rules.” Highly recommended. This is a large format hard cover book that costs $37. You can buy a kindle version to download to your iPad or tablet for just $27. I think it is one of the best values in boating books. It contains 920 pages and many illustrations that will help you.

Chapman Piloting & Seamanship 68th Edition (October 2017)
https://amzn.to/2Nh6ng8

Finally, if the links above do not work for you, send me a Private Message (PM) and I will send you the links via other means. I am providing the links above to help people find the tools (in this case books) I read, use, and recommend.

I hope this helps you and others.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:58   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Hey guys i am brand new to boating, I was wondering what are some rules on navigating nearby to other boats and the shore? Do you normally pass on the right side? How far do you stay away from populated beaches and other boats?

Just the other day i witnessed what i thought would be a collision course between the quantam of the seas and an anchored container ship. Both about 1200 feet long, one of them was anchored near the verrazano bridge off the coast of brooklyn.

The anchored ship was, well, anchored. The ship underway would have had at least three, probably four men on the bridge: the AB steering, a pilot, the mate on watch, and very likely also the Captain and possibly an apprentice pilot. They would have been fully aware of the anchored ship, and they were probably proceeding in a marked channel, and certainly in a traffic separation scheme. They were where they were supposed to be. Ships often pass very close to one another, after making appropriate passing agreement with signals and or more commonly over VHF, in accordance with the Rules. If you could observe ships meeting in the Houston Ship Channel you would be biting your nails in suspense the first few times. Accidents happen, just like on the highway. We have The Rules to help prevent chaos and provide a framework of required and permissible actions, and enable us to determine the intentions of other vessels around us.

A thorough study of The Rules is of utmost importance before you ever take control of a vessel. Ignorance of The Rules or even misinterpretation or misapplication of them will not be excused in court, should there be a mishap. The other guy's fault? LOL both parties are pretty much always at fault, and blame is proportional to the circumstances and action or lack of action by the responsible parties. It is ALWAYS partly your fault, partly the other guy's fault. But knowing and following The Rules will go far to prevent collisions and allisions.

In a nutshell, cutting right to the chase, when two power driven vessels meet head on or nearly so, they will pass port to port unless there is a reason to pass starboard to starboard instead, and they have reached an agreement to do so. So yes, just like driving a car. Stay on the right side of the road. This, unlike driving a car, is the same all over the world in international waters. At night, both vessels should each see the other's red side light. For two power driven vessels in a crossing situation, the vessel to starboard is the stand on vessel, and is required to maintain his course and speed, and the other vessel must maneuver so as to prevent collision. If he does not, then the stand on vessel must take whatever action necessary to avoid collision. So here you see an example of both vessels in a collision being responsible. They are BOTH required to do whatever necessary to avoid collision, not just to attempt to avoid collision. I won't try to write you a book here, cause it is already written. The international COLREGS and also the U.S. Inland Rules, which differ slightly from the International Rules.

You NEED a hard copy of the rules onboard. Period. You also NEED an encyclopedic knowledge of them. There is no wiggle room there! The very most important body of knowledge I can think of, for you to learn, is The Rules.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:40   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
How far do you stay away from populated beaches and other boats?

It varies depending on jurisdiction, the type of boat you have, and in some cases restrictions on specific bodies of water.

In most cases boats can approach shore as closely as their draft will permit.

Some swim areas are closed to boats and are marked with buoys. Size varies.

Minnesota requires personal watercraft to remain 150' from shore unless they are operated at a no-wake speed less than 5 mph. The limit is 300' on some lakes.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47   #8

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating and this forum.

Very good responses, so far. Chapman's is an extraordinary book, well worth every penny.

Noodle around here, too: BoatSafe.com - Boating Safety, Boating Courses, Boating Articles
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of boating and this forum.

Very good responses, so far. Chapman's is an extraordinary book, well worth every penny.

Noodle around here, too: BoatSafe.com - Boating Safety, Boating Courses, Boating Articles
This, this, this.

Get yourself a copy of Chapman Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling. It is a requirement and not an option!
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:09   #10

GO ON LINE TO AMERICANS BOATING CLUB AND FIND THE CLOSEST ABC
CLASS. 8 HRS. WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFO YOU NEED TO START.
Sailorlady323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:42   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you are just starting out, you might enjoy these simple rhymes to help get you started:

Green to green, red to red, perfect safety, go ahead!

If to starboard red appears, t'is your duty to keep clear!

If two lights you see ahead, starboard your wheel, and show your red!

Enjoy,
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:47   #12

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Lots of good answers but don't forget the rule of tonnage. You won't find it in the colregs but it is worth thinking about. It is a variation of what Skipmac was talking about; the need to avoid a collision.

Even if you are the stand on vessel (right of way) and the other is the give way vessel, think about how big the other boat or ship is and what the result will be if you hit. If you're "in the right" but the large ship coming at you isn't acknowledging your call, you may be run over and the large ship may not know that they squashed you. They may not even feel it.

The end result is that no matter how large or small the other vessel is, ultimately it is your responsibility to avoid a collision.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:54   #13

After ABC class take Seamanship from America's Boating Club. Lots of valuable information beyond the basics.
Randune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:07   #14

As the OP is sailing in US waters, he will want the US version including the Inland Rules.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:38   #15

Boat: Amel 50

The full set of rules is extensive and as mentioned, needs some quality time to read and master. Here's another quick mnemonic I picked up recently in USCG captain's license training (for US inland and near coastal waters):

The pecking order (higher on the list is stand-on; lower on the list is give-way) can be remembered by:

"OverNight Rooms For Sale Plus Supper"

Overtaken
Not Under Command (NUC)
Restricted in Ability to Maneuver (RAM)
Fishing
Sailboat
Power Driven
Seaplane

This pecking order is based on activity, not type of vessel. So a fishing boat not fishing is just a power boat. So is a sailboat using its engine.

At anchor would be the same as not under command in the Verrazano case.
Howler is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, rule