View Poll Results: Which is your preferred/recommended app for the Ipad
SEAiq 6 11.11%
iSailor 9 16.67%
SeaNav 1 1.85%
Navionics 27 50.00%
Other - mention below 11 20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2018, 10:32   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Poll: Which app do you prefer for navigation via iPad/iPhone

I previously had paid versions of Garmin Bluchart and Navionics on my iPhone/Ipad. Unfortunately I had to restore my iPhone and bought a new iPad and it appears I lost access to those apps now.

Not wanting to keep dumping $$$ in those major apps if I need to rebuy every year, I was wondering what everyone else uses. For the record I MAINLY use this as a chartplotter on a small centerconsole to put me on dive/fish/lobster spots. Using it on the sailboat will be a major plus.

Right now I have the following free versions downloaded:

SeaIQ - Seems pretty nice but for somereason the app isn't able to locate my position. Are paid charts an option or does it just use NOAA? Cant quite figure out how much the paid version costs.

iSailor - I'm afraid I'm going to have an issue with the charts.I have the "tampa bay" charts installed but the upper portion of the bay is cutoff. If you looks at the inset piece of the NOAA chart you can see the upper portion I need, I wonder if I buy the rest of florida then I will be Ok. $15 for each coast of FL, $40 for bahamas.

Sea Nav - $15 a year for charts

Navionics - Could always go back to old faithful but I'm tired of the subscription model and it looks like its $150 for a one time charge which is a bit ridiculous for my needs.

What do you guys like best?
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 11:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Poll: Which app do you prefer for navigation via iPad/iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
I previously had paid versions of Garmin Bluchart and Navionics on my iPhone/Ipad. Unfortunately I had to restore my iPhone and bought a new iPad and it appears I lost access to those apps now.

Not wanting to keep dumping $$$ in those major apps if I need to rebuy every year, I was wondering what everyone else uses. For the record I MAINLY use this as a chartplotter on a small centerconsole to put me on dive/fish/lobster spots. Using it on the sailboat will be a major plus.

Right now I have the following free versions downloaded:

SeaIQ - Seems pretty nice but for somereason the app isn't able to locate my position. Are paid charts an option or does it just use NOAA? Cant quite figure out how much the paid version costs.

iSailor - I'm afraid I'm going to have an issue with the charts.I have the "tampa bay" charts installed but the upper portion of the bay is cutoff. If you looks at the inset piece of the NOAA chart you can see the upper portion I need, I wonder if I buy the rest of florida then I will be Ok. $15 for each coast of FL, $40 for bahamas.

Sea Nav - $15 a year for charts

Navionics - Could always go back to old faithful but I'm tired of the subscription model and it looks like its $150 for a one time charge which is a bit ridiculous for my needs.

What do you guys like best?
Hi.

I have a currently running thread about using SEAiq on the iPad.
See the thread here:
iPad Navigation Using SEAiq App (User Reviews) - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

I also recently answered your question there about cost, but will reply here too. The FREE download version is for evaluating the app. You then download the FREE NOAA charts using the app. It is very easy as the app does this for you once you select the area of charts you want from NOAA. So, for FREE you can evaluate how the app works with real charts of your choice.

The “paid” version is an easy upgrade and allows several valuable features (Weather, Night Colors, Waypoints and Routes, Tracks, NMEA, AIS with CPA, and Anchor Alarm) to be used on the app. Those features are enabled for seven days for you to TRY OUT for free. After that period, you either upgrade or lose those features.

I consider it worth it.

The cost? Only $4.99 for the USA Recreational version (there are other more expensive versions for outside the USA and for professional ship pilots), that incorporates those “upgrade” features I just listed.

If you live in the USA or sail USA waters (or USVI or Puerto Rico) this app offers a lot for very little cost, and you can try it out for free using the free NOAA charts.

I have also used this app for a 1200nm voyage from Florida to Maine. It works well. No complaints. Easy to use and easy to read the charts.

I have also posted numerous screenshots of the SEAiq app, including one I posted today that shows how the app has overlay info on Weather, Currents, and AIS on the chart. Very cool stuff.

Visit the link above to read more comments from happy users of this app.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 13:03   #3

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post

?
You can't beat Bluechart and Navionics. I use both on my iPhone and iPad.

You should be able to restore your account thru Apple App unless you are no longer using the same Apple ID.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 19:08   #4

I have the following loaded on various pads and phones on the boat:
Navionics, OpenCPN, MotionX, Ovital, iNAVX, Garmin EarthMate, iSailor, SeaNAV, MaxSea TimeZero and a few others.
Value differs from ocean to ocean as does selection but overall:
90% of the time I am using Navionics, OpenCPN and MotionX or Ovital as a primary/backup to our Furuno system with a reference to offline PC/MAC google earth for anchor site selection and remote navigation where "uncharted" is noted. Google Earth has better detail than MotionX and Ovital and the PC and MAC versions allow historical sat image selection that the pad and phone versions seem to not allow.

Navionics will keep what ever charts you have downloaded after subscription expires.

Have not used SEAiq. Thanks for mentioning will download when back to higher speed internet.

Fair winds and big fish.
Old 28-06-2018, 06:03   #5

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
You can't beat Bluechart and Navionics. I use both on my iPhone and iPad.

You should be able to restore your account thru Apple App unless you are no longer using the same Apple ID.

Well I know you can no longer get Garmin Bluechart so I am assuming that's why I can't find that one in my recent purchases. As for Navionics, the only thing I can think of is they changed the App because I can't find that one anywhere in my purchases either. Keep in mind I originally bought the apps back in 2016, maybe even before.
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 08:30   #6

Boat: Lagoon 40

I use iNavX - love it, I know some give it a bad rap. It integrates well with my Vesper AIS, which transmits all my other SeaTalk and NMEA data to my iPad
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 08:43   #7

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

aquamap is working well for me on Ipads and on phone. Active Captain included.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 09:00   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

There does seem to be a lot of talk there days about using ipads for nav. While I think tablets are very good to have as an emergency back up or for a look when you are in you bunk or at the cofee shop I hope NOBODY is relying on these as a main nav device. It is like useing a mobile phone instead of having a VHF. Just a thought.
My view is dump the ipad, buy something sensible and pay the subscription for the chart software for the next decade with the savings. ipads are decent devices but vastly overpriced. The equivalent in android is literally half the price.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 10:02   #9

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

iNavX
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 11:06   #10

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

I concur with Roland Stockham
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 13:07   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I use iNavX as a backup on most of the deliveries I do. BUT Navionics ‘SonarChart’ is priceless.

Need an example? Look at the St Augustine inlet on most chartplotters-just a shallow water blob. Go to Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530216322.908323.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	172653

But Navionics Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530216382.654258.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	172654 provides a useful rendering from the SonarChart view
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 13:08   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

For the sake of completeness this is iNavX view Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530216485.912513.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	172655
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 13:09   #13

Boat: Alberg 35

I"ve been happily using iSailor to cruise around the Chesapeake for about 3 years. I use it on an iPad Mini (connected to Garmin GLO) and an iPhone 5. I just upgraded to an iPad, and iSailor will not restore my charts. I have been trying to get help from their support but so far no help at all: slow responses and responses have been unhelpful. So I'm moving to something else. I have installed iNavx and NOAA charts but they don't quilt. So may try seaiq
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 13:13   #14

Aqua Maps is by far the best. plus it does Active Captain.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 13:43   #15

Boat: Catalina 425

Reloading apps should not be a problem. I just bought a new ipad and the store reloaded all my apps. If you didnt purchase from an apple store make an appointment with their genius bar and they will reload for you.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, iphone, navigation, phone, poll