Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 05:01   #1

Charleston...must see...moorings...etc

I'll be chartering a sailboat for 2 days and over night in Charleston, SC next week.

As far as cruising goes...where should we go? What should we see?

Are there any great anchorages or moorings we could pick up overnight or should we find a marina?

Thanks!.
olivialees12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 11:43   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Charleston...must see...moorings...etc

There were boats anchored in the Ashley River just below the first and second bridges when we over-wintered there...

But for such a short stay, I'd suggest it's easier to see stuff in Charleston -- and you'd spend more time sightseeing or whatever instead of preparing to get to land -- from a marina. The one where we stayed, and the Megadock just south of us, both had courtesy shuttles... and Charleston also has a free shuttle system with three different routes servicing the downtown area.

Pleasant town, from our experience.

-Chris
Old 27-05-2018, 11:50   #3

Boat: Passport 40

Of course the town is beautiful. For any medium or long term mooring I would suggest St Johns Yacht Harbor (probably one of my favourite marinas on the east coast at decent prices), but for a few days, stay near town.

Avoid Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina. This is on the "modern" ugly side of Charleston (Mt Pleasant), and is expensive and quite honestly a very horrible marina inmho. You are also quite exposed as hell to the elements from all sides. I would find something down the Ashely River (you can't go very far depending on your mast height), probably City Marina is the right place to find mooring or a dock for a couple of days. If the weather is good, you can anchor out, there's a lot of boats there and you can dinghy to the City Marina, I believe you can land there.

I would suggest (even if it implies a longer uber ride from downtown) to hit a restaurant called Wild Olive (near St Johns Yacht Harbor actually), on Johns Island. It's fantastic. Very good food and ambience. My favourite Charleston spot for dinner. By far.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 12:22   #4

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

That's a short time to experience a gem of a city and area. I think there is a plantation just north of Charleston hbr where you can overnight, perhaps someone else knows more.

Not to be missed is the Blind Tiger in the French quarter. Great food and very special bloody Mary's .
I've anchored by the city Marina and dinghied in to see the city.
Old 27-05-2018, 12:31   #5

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Here's the restaurant info, forget about the plantation its way up the Ashley River.

Blind Tiger Pub: Historical Pub & Courtyard Dining in Charleston, SC

Perhaps harbor sailing or run out into the Atlantic for the day if weather permits.
I'm sure you'll have fun.
Old 02-06-2018, 14:15   #6
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

We stayed at the Charleston Maritime Center. No need for a shuttle; you can walk to downtown Charleston. They just reopened. New floating docks. Free laundry.

Our favorite restaurant is Amen. A farm-to-table kind of place. Not cheap, but great food, great selection of oysters, great bar and wine selections.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring