Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 15:34   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft
Rudder lost

The unexpected and unforeseen happened to my Lavezzi hull#59 (2004): the shaft of the port hull rudder broke of and of course I lost the part. Don't know when it happened. I believe the SS shaft snapped aprox 15 cm above to where it enters the rudder. Fatigue in the shaft? I don't know. Now I am in the process of making a new rudder. I did ask FP to send me a design (don't know if they will send to me) Has anyone had the same issue or has anyone a Lavezzi rudder design, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Best rgds
Pieter Kommerij
SV Lumina
Brazil
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 15:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rudder lost

Don't have plans.. only sympathy for your problem.. Bumma.!!!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:29   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Rudder lost

It may be worth getting FP to quote for a new rudder assembly, if you explain the circumstances, they may give you a deal. 150mm above the rudder would be in the vicinity of the lower shaft bearing which would be where you get the greatest stress and where you would expect it to break. I have not heard this is a known failure area so my guess would be that the rudder has suffered an impact in the past which weakened the shaft. If it had been bent and then straightened, you would not have any indication of a potential problem.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:35   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
The unexpected and unforeseen happened to my Lavezzi hull#59 (2004): the shaft of the port hull rudder broke of and of course I lost the part. Don't know when it happened. I believe the SS shaft snapped aprox 15 cm above to where it enters the rudder. Fatigue in the shaft? I don't know. Now I am in the process of making a new rudder. I did ask FP to send me a design (don't know if they will send to me) Has anyone had the same issue or has anyone a Lavezzi rudder design, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Best rgds
Pieter Kommerij
SV Lumina
Brazil
Both rudders are identical. If you can't get new ones from FP then take out the one you have. Have someone make a mold from the existing one for the fiberglass part. Then have them cut it open. It is two clam shells. Take the metal frame from the remaining one and have a machine shop build two new frames. Then have the glass guy lay them back up. Crevice creep and corrosion are not uncommon. That is likely what did yours in. Close inspection will likely reveal the same problem with the remaining rudder.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:01   #5

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
Best rgds
Pieter Kommerij
SV Lumina
Brazil
My Belize 43 lost a rudder somewhere in Cuba or on the return. We never noticed it until the autopliot could no longer keep us on course in high winds and following seas as we were returning to Panama. I though maybe 'Otto' had 'lost his mind' and wondered about getting a new one. As we were unloading the boat after making it home, I casually noticed that I didn't see the rudder as I was approaching the boat from the dock. A quick dive into the water confirmed that there was only ~4" of shaft sticking down out of the hull. Looked like crevice corrosion.
I bought a new rudder from FP. Cost ~$3000 by the time I got it to Panama, but that was actually cheaper than the quote I got for making one AND it is factory original. We hauled out to replace it (not really necessary as it may actually be easier in the water if you find the right depth to anchor as it weighs quite a bit out of water!) While we were out, I replaced all 4 bearings and when we dropped the 'good' rudder, I found some crevice corrosion right where the shaft entered the fibreglass. So now I have a second new rudder that I am replacing this week preemptively. So, yes, it does happen, but not in the area you indicated.

As a side note, we had to sail ~160nm to get to the haulout (Shelter Bay). I re-calibrated 'Otto' and he did just fine with only 1 rudder!
dmtparkerLcsk53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, rudder