Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 12:47   #1

Question Moorings/Sunsail Owners - How has your experience been?

I have been considering buying a cat, and I wanted to ask a few questions about putting a boat in the Moorings or Sunsail Fleet. I have the feeling I would use it less than I imagined (seems like a general sailing truth), and that it may not be worth it financially if I sail less than I expect. I've also been considering just focusing on owner's time swaps, which I have done once, rather than ownership as I have a limited sailing year.

So, for owners who now have boats or have had boats in the Moorings fleet, do you actually use all your owner's time? Do you trade the time? What has your general experience been with the Moorings?
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 20:27   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Moorings/Sunsail Owners - How has your experience been?

I used or sold all of my owner's time. The latter was easier to do with old contracts.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 14:37   #3

I think there are alot of us out there wondering if the numbers would work if we didn't/couldn't use all of the owners weeks. Seems like a great opportunity for a partnership. Split the weeks, the cost and best of all the depreciation. As long as there was a contract with very specific terms regarding the phase out, I feel it could be a win/win for both parties. Much different than a private boat partnership which I imagine could be riskier. What do you folks think?
JMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 16:49   #4

I think it seems reasonable as long as expectations are controlled. I think people have a pie-in-the-sky idea about putting a boat in charter. If they're realistic, it's a matter of dollars and time on boats vs. cost of ownership and loss on resale. It's a bit like a house in the mountains for skiing. Most people buy them, and only ski a few times a year. For the money they spent, they could have stayed at the Ritz and eaten gold for breakfast lunch and dinner. I care a lot less about the pride of ownership compared to sailing time. Sometimes, it might be best to just charter and have no hassles.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 10:25   #5

Boat: Leopard 46

While this topic has been discussed extensively over the years on this and other forums, as a former Moorings owner I would comment that there is hardly any logical ($) argument for owning a new charter boat.
Old 14-02-2017, 11:05   #6

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

I did very well out of it with a mix if using and selling owner's time. I understand that with the current contracts it is more difficult to sell owner's time.

If I was able to use 12 weeks outside peak season I would do it again.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 11:57   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450, 45'10"

After chartering with The Moorings for many years I briefly looked at their ownership program. I didn't like their plan. To me it had minimal risk with minimal reward. I opted to put a Lagoon 450 in TMM's fleet 2.5 years ago. Although I am taking the boat out of charter next week I have been exceedingly happy with the ownership program through TMM. The charter's are well vetted and the boat has been properly cared for. Their plan requires greater risk but the rewards are much better. If I had it to do over again I most definitely would!

Captain Tim
SV Pura Vida
tdetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 08:53   #8

Boat: Searching...

I just did a quick search and ran across this thread. I appreciate the comments and would also appreciate your feedback based on my possible plan/expectations.

For me, i have almost zero sailing experience other than one charter for a week in the BVI through moorings. Our captain was amazing and let me work with her when we were under sail explaining what we were doing, how to tack, how to use the winches, ect.. So i have little experience but want to gain more.

My plan is to use the owners program to gain experience and knowledge of sailing through the use of the boat (probably hiring a captain the next 3 or so trips). The ultimate plan is a goal 10-15 years from now to circumnavigate the world. I can't think of a better way to gain experience and to have some ownership of a boat at the end of the plan.

So, am i crazy to think that possibly doing this plan for 5 years would be a great idea to gain experience i need and to have ownership of a boat that i could possible sail for my "Grand plan" in the future?

Also, just curious how crazy of an idea it would be to convert one hull from a charter cat with two state rooms and two heads, to an owner's version? Is that just crazy talk? I know it's not like ripping a wall out at your house and sheet rocking it over.

Right now my biggest hurdles that i can see are two things, first and most importantly, what do i do with the boat after the 5 year plan is over? At that point, it's mine, either i own it outright or i have payments and i have to take over the docking, maintenance, ect.. of a boat that i'm not really planning on moving on for another 5 years? Secondly, what kind of shape will it be in after the charter? I assume it should be in good shape, but i am not sure i can guarantee that.

I would love to hear your opinions.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 19:36   #9

Depends on the amount of time you can sail each year. If you can only sail half of the owner's time, to me it's a lot easier to just keep chartering. I believe there are some charter companies that will give a discount on a 4-week charter (for example) that makes it "affordable." In five years, you'd have 20 weeks of sailing under your belt, get a newer boat each year and not be the owner of the boat at the end of the period. It seems to me (MHO) that the only time to put a boat in charter is if you can sail most or all of the owner's time and you willing to take the risk of whatever the boat is worth at the end of the period. Again, MHO.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 21:47   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400

I agree with Leboyd. If you do the math it usually only makes sense to own if you use the boat 6-8 weeks per year. Or if you just enjoy the "lifestyle" of owning a boat but for less cost. Cheers
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 12:12   #11

Boat: Searching...

Thanks for the feedback. I did a little more research and found some great articles.

Now, i think i'm leaning more towards just doing a few more charters (with a captain) then some bareboat charters to gain experience. In the mean time i will just keep filling the boat fund up as fast as possible. who knows, maybe in my 10 year time frame we will have an economic downturn and i can pick up a great boat for a low price and then take off.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 13:38   #12

Boat: FP LUCIA 40, Hull #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I did a little more research and found some great articles.

Now, i think i'm leaning more towards just doing a few more charters (with a captain) then some bareboat charters to gain experience. In the mean time i will just keep filling the boat fund up as fast as possible. who knows, maybe in my 10 year time frame we will have an economic downturn and i can pick up a great boat for a low price and then take off.

My 3 Point Plan is - 1) find the boat you love and can own WITHOUT charter income 2) put it somewhere easy to get to and that you enjoy sailing 3) IF you don’t mind wear and tear on the boat, then put it in a fleet.
Escape Plan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, mooring, sail