Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 18:31   #1

Boat: Oceanis 45
B&G V50 radio issues

Have a 2014 Beneteau Oceanis with the full B&G suite of products. We've has issues with the GPS, the Autopilot and now the radio. Whenever tuned to 16 it randomly tunes in the weather yet the display still shows it is on 16. I have the whole package, T12, two T7s, Radar, AIS and it's been crap from day one. Navico is no help as they don't even return emails any longer even though it is under warranty. Anybody know whats going on with the radio?
Myknjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 19:01   #2

Boat: Cascade 36
Re: B&G V50 radio issues

I have the Simrad version, RS35 and it is doing the same thing. I haven't even tried calling support yet. Just hoping for an answer from the forums.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 19:21   #3

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

I have the v50 and it did the exact same thing so obviously they know of this problem. I sent mine back and they sent me a new one. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 19:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

There has been at least one other thread on the V50. It seems that before a certain level the ucode can't be updated and the radio must be exchanged. Check with their tech support.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:15   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Pull the radio off the network and see if your other problems with GPS, AP, etc go away. I was troubleshooting a boat recently where this radio was causing all sorts of havoc on the network bus and causing the AP and GPS to have problems. Removing the radio solved it - the radio is now back at Navico being replaced.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:32   #6

Boat: 2000 Mainship 390

I am glad to read this. I too have this unit and experienced same. I thought it was something I had set up wrong somehow.
ricktara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:57   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

I had the Simrad version and it did the EXACT same thing, as well as the N2K connection randomly not working.

I sent it back and they sent me a new one, and so far so good.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:19   #8

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Mine does the same thing. As Colemj pointed out it may be the cause of other issues I have as well with the B&G Zeus2 MFD and the radar.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 14:04   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 409

I bought a Jeanneau that was started in December 2014. I took delivery in May. It started to jump to the weather channel about 3 weeks ago. I called Lowrance Support which stated that Engineering was working on a fix but no date for issue.
I had previously updated the Zues 2 9" unit to Zues2_W2.0-51.1.80-31341-r1-standard-1.upd 3/18/2015. This resolved "No Radar Overlay" and "No Spoke Data". It also updated the GoFree wireless module.
capbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 19:27   #10

Boat: Beneteau 48

We have a similar setup on our 2015 Beneteau with a full B&G suite, but our radio is the RS35 / HS35. We have the issue with the radio switching to a weather channel, but I think that is a new situation initiated by the Coast Guard. We have other friends with different systems experiencing the same thing. This is not really a problem for me. The problem I have is that frequently when this switch to the weather channel occurs, the autopilot goes to standby and I lose a signal from the wind instrument. My dealer received a response from navico that they were aware of the problem and would have a software fix in a few weeks. We shall see.
joefults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 19:45   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

I had the same problem on my RS35. I'm not sure if I solved it by changing a few settings regarding auto weather alert or by getting out of the Sandy Hook area. It only happened on the way home from there, and hasn't happened since, but it once I changed that setting it stopped. I'm still in vhf range of Sandy Hook in my home waters though so I don't know. I'm currently 1000 miles from my boat, but I should be back Saturday. I can post the settings I changed then. Oh and also the radio was updated in the spring to the latest software. It didn't happen before the update.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:53   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 409

In the last couple of weeks in the Chesapeake, there was a weather alert on 16 of 10 or 15 seconds of a loud tone then there would be a "weather alert" of an impending storm cell or squall line coming. But it did not switch to a weather station.
This is different and does not appear to be controlled by the Coast Guard.
capbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 14:00   #13

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Three things:
1) Scott at B&G tech support said my situation of a Zeus2 and V50 radio not working with the DSC call feature was a first for them. Hmmm BS or not?
2)New software upgrade coming he says; latest one this past week did nothing for that issue.
3)The issue with the V50 switching on its own to weather is not a USCG thing because it happens in Canada also.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 19:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
Three things:
1) Scott at B&G tech support said my situation of a Zeus2 and V50 radio not working with the DSC call feature was a first for them. Hmmm BS or not?
2)New software upgrade coming he says; latest one this past week did nothing for that issue.
3)The issue with the V50 switching on its own to weather is not a USCG thing because it happens in Canada also.

The DSC call feature needs a update for the radio, Currently works with V90. The V50 update will not be far away.
Rusty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 16:08   #15

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myknjul View Post
.....tuned to 16 it randomly tunes in the weather yet the display still shows it is on 16....
I'm happy to report that I've managed to get the random weather reports to stop on my radio by turning off the Weather Alert tones. I've ran the radio and everything else for several hours since I did this and haven't had one issue. Before this change I was getting the random weather every 20-30 minutes.

Check manual section 4-8-1 and turn the tone alert to off. It seems to have made the difference for me.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio