Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 08:19   #1

Washing machine for Hunter 456?

We have just bought our yacht and wish to instal a washing machine in the cupboard in the stateroom. I am in England and the yacht is in Florida at the moment. We will be moving it in June to Brunswick in Georgia. Where is the best place to buy a washer? How does one get it into the stateroom? What other problems might there be? HELP please.
Kaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 09:12   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaja
We have just bought our yacht and wish to instal a washing machine in the cupboard in the stateroom. I am in England and the yacht is in Florida at the moment. We will be moving it in June to Brunswick in Georgia. Where is the best place to buy a washer? How does one get it into the stateroom? What other problems might there be? HELP please.
Hi Kaja. I would contact Hunter in Florida to get a list of dealers in the area of the yacht. Then you can call for prices & availability-& how to best get it into the boat. Our friends put one in a Hunter 450 through a large hatch over the bed in their aft cabin-I'm not sure if the 456 has one.
Best of Luck in your find! Gloria
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 10:00   #3

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Re: Washing machine for Hunter 456?

Welcome to the CF Kaja.

It would likely be advisable to use the search function on the forum. There are a number of threads related to washing machines, or washing/dryer combos.

Terms to look for would include vent-less vs vented, and what types of power sources are available. If your boat is an American boat, then it's likely wired on a 110V 60 cycle system. It might be wired with a 110/220V system, if so there might be other options available. Many American domestic units are wired to a 30 amp 220V plug. This is the American 220V system with the two hot legs, not the European style system with a hot leg and a neutral.

Just for comparison purposes West Marine sells a washer dryer combo that is advertised to used 1300W of 110V power in both vent-less and vented configurations. They include exterior dimensions on the website.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:03   #4

Washing machine for Hunter 456?

Thanks you 2 for your replies. Gloria, do you know what make and model the w machine was? We do have a 24" hatch over stateroom bed? We are so excited with our purchase!
Viribus - where is West Marine? Our yacht is American and in Fort Pierce.
Kaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:18   #5

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

West Marine is a large retailer of boat related items that has stores all though the US. A "chain" store. They are often reviled in the US for being a bit on the high end of price range. Shop around, they may, or may not be such.

Below is their store locator. If I'm doing it correct, it should jump to a map with the West Marine stores in the region. Looks like there is one in Fort Pierce itself. They likely won't have what you want in the store, but they can get it. They can also ship it to you if you decide that your not close to any store.

Store Locator

Please note that West Marine is not the only place you can buy these items. Sears, and the other "white" appliance stores sell units that might work for you, or work better.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaja
Thanks you 2 for your replies. Gloria, do you know what make and model the w machine was? We do have a 24" hatch over stateroom bed? We are so excited with our purchase!
Viribus - where is West Marine? Our yacht is American and in Fort Pierce.
The make was Splendide. They are out of town but I will try to email them to check model. It's a washer-dryer combo & they love it. They ordered theirs from defender.com- a low cost on-line marine sales place. I have the link below for the different types.

There are West Marines everywhere in the US. There is at least one in every major boating area. In fact, there is one in Ft Pierce. There is a link to that too.
1857 North US Hwy 1
Fort Pierce, FL 34946

I'm glad you are excited with your purchase. We love ours. We traveled 1 1/2 years around Mexico in it. Hope you have many years of fun in your boat. Gloria

http://search.defender.com/?expression=washer%20dryer

http://m.westmarine.com/
Old 21-04-2012, 13:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

West Marine will match Defender's price, BTW.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 14:49   #8

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

If you get a Splendide, be sure to get the vented model. The non-vented model uses a lot of water to dry clothes and even then only heats the clothes not dry them. We have a big water maker - 35 g/hr - but even withit we still hung our clothes out to dry. Our Sea Ray has a vented Splendide and it works much better.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 17:18   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh ya can buy the same washer vented or un vented from Camping World Stores anywhere or online for a lot less money then any Marine Store, and they are the very same machines!! Saw an add a few days ago for 999 bucks with free shiping! Just a thought
Old 21-04-2012, 20:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
Ahh ya can buy the same washer vented or un vented from Camping World Stores anywhere or online for a lot less money then any Marine Store, and they are the very same machines!! Saw an add a few days ago for 999 bucks with free shiping! Just a thought
That is a great price! Camping world often has better prices. We joined once but don't buy enough to make it worth it. Luckily, Camping Worlds are all over too.

http://m.campingworld.com/index.cfm?...FYReTAod8DE_Zw
Old 13-01-2015, 06:43   #11

Boat: HUNTER LEGEND 456
Send a message via Skype™ to captpsmith

Hi Kaja,

Did you ever sort your Washing machine OK?

I have a Hunter 456 moored in Lauderdale with a Swedish washing Machine installed !

After 6 wonderful years living aboard my 456 I am now looking to live ashore gracefully and considering selling as a fully equipped (I mean Loaded !) boat with every mod con. WUD BE GREAT TO MAKE CONTACT

cheers, captpsmith
captpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, washing