Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 10:37   #1

Boat: Hunter 386
Hunter Timeline

I know, I know, they are all bad but...

Let's say one's spouse likes Hunters and one was not really interested in sailing across an ocean. I've heard/read lots of good and bad about Hunter quality but a lot of it has been "Oh, as long as you don't get a new one!" or "the old ones are just too flimsily built." No one seems to specify a year. And I realize Hunter has changed hands a few times in the last 30 years so I guess that means something too.

Anyone care to offer some opinions/facts about which Hunter years to stay away from and which are worth looking at? And just when were the 'famous' Cherubini designs made? (BTW I personally am looking at 38-42 ft.)

Anyone?
Old 24-02-2015, 10:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Hunter Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post

Anyone care to offer some opinions/facts about which Hunter years to stay away from and which are worth looking at? And just when were the 'famous' Cherubini designs made? (BTW I personally am looking at 38-42 ft.)

Anyone?
1915-2015. Just my opinion.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 10:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
1915-2015. Just my opinion.
For looking at, or staying away from?
Old 24-02-2015, 10:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
For looking at, or staying away from?
Old 24-02-2015, 10:48   #5
cruiser

I think your expectations are very realistic, if your wife likes Hunters, go for it! Despite the views of a very small number of Hunter owners who like to make over-zealous claims, you'll find nearly all Hunter owners and former Hunter owners like myself are very pleased with their yachts and use them enthusiastically for their intended purpose.

We sailed ours for two years in Southern California and had a wonderful time onboard. Please feel free to PM with any questions. Some photos of our 450 on my CF page under photo albums.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:32   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Anyone care to offer some opinions/facts about which Hunter years to stay away from and which are worth looking at?
All I can say is that my 2001 model has had no problems. And if anything I would bet newer models are better because that is the nature of manufacturing.

If anything it probably is just like cars, don't get the first couple of years of a new model. But if the boat has been around all that matters is the condition it currently is in.
Old 24-02-2015, 11:48   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There were a few years to stay away from I've been told by a surveyor I hired that was a former production manager for Hunter, those were the years when Hunter was owned by another corporation, and I think that may well have been early 2000's?
Was it owned by Luhrs?
Take all this as hearsay as that is what it is, you know one of those I knew a person whose friend said etc.
But it seems the older ones say from the 90's seem to be better thought of.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:49   #8

If your wife likes them, get one. They're fine boats. My neighbour lives 12 months a year on his on the great lakes (meaning 4 months a year in ice). The boat is not flimsy, it weather's harsh in water great lakes conditions just fine. My wife and I spend as much time on his boat in the winter months as our own because it has just so much space for its length.

His is an 1988 38T. However he's told me he preferred his 35 I can't remember the year.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:50   #9

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I sailed a 2006 36' for 7 years. I came in with few expectations, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Without question, the interior layout and use of available space was outstanding. The ease of handling single-handed was awesome. I was very surprised at how well it pointed, given the negative roach and low aspect of an in-mast furling main; 35 degrees (apparent) well within reason. As a coastal cruiser, I have absolute faith in Hunter. Having said that, I would feel a little less confident about taking it across the ocean. It does pound in heavy seas, rather than slice (which I experienced in great measure crossing the gulfstream to the Bahamas on many occasions!). Tankage is limited (fuel and water). The aft-swept spreaders greatly limit downwind trim. A few other small issues. Other than the pounding, these wouldn't be an issue in near coastal waters, so I would encourage you not to worry too much about the haters if that is your goal. Best, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There were a few years to stay away from I've been told by a surveyor I hired that was a former production manager for Hunter, those were the years when Hunter was owned by another corporation, and I think that may well have been early 2000's?
Was it owned by Luhrs?
Take all this as hearsay as that is what it is, you know one of those I knew a person whose friend said etc.
But it seems the older ones say from the 90's seem to be better thought of.
That's about what I heard. And most of the boats I have been looking at are 98-2004 which is what makes me a tad nervous. Not enough to give up, but enough to look for reassurance I guess.
Old 24-02-2015, 12:01   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Most production boats are great off the block.

10-15 years down the line, Sails and rigging, winches, electrics, equipment, hinges, seals, all need a course of looking at. Water tanks, fittings, fuel tanks, engines.......... just due to age, sunlight and usage, or lack of.

I used to worry about the cost I saw some of my marina co-renters/owners were putting into their boats every two years. Thousands of dollars. Then I noticed these were the guys who would go traveling for 4 months of the year offshore. They worked on the principle of not taking any chances, and had the money to fix it before a problem needed fixing.

A well cared for, little used boat will probably require servicing when it gets in the hands of someone who starts using it about 10-12 years down the line. It affects ALL boats, and Hunters are no exception.

Jokes aside, Hunters are fine boats. Id just try to avoid the ones that are over 12 years old and nothing has been done to them. At least the running rigging will need changing.....and sails if left out will need a close look. not to mention seacocks... etc.

Would I have a Hunter for coastal work? Yes I would.
Old 24-02-2015, 12:03   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

The cherubini-era hunters are a different animal and have a lot more in common with other production boats from the same era and a lot less with the later hunters, from the way they were constructed to the interior layout/materials. They were built from ~76ish - ~84ish from what I remember, and have a good rep with people who own them. They also seem to sell for a lot cheaper than other boats the same size - probably because of the 'Hunter rep'.

The common models only went up to 37.5 feet (the cutter) - I think there is a 54' model floating around somewhere but I think they are extremely rare.

If you get a chance to view one, it's worth checking out, there is some interesting things going on with them.

I have a Hunter Cherubini 36', built in 1980 so I am kind of biased, but she is solidly built, over 100gallons of water, has excellent engine/shaft access and is surprisingly speedy (can't point that close to the wind, but that may be my old sails and the shoddy sailing skill of the captain )

SailboatOwners.com is a good place for hunter info.
Old 24-02-2015, 12:13   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
That's about what I heard. And most of the boats I have been looking at are 98-2004 which is what makes me a tad nervous. Not enough to give up, but enough to look for reassurance I guess.
And yet I already told you I have a 2001 that has had NO problems

But be real, if a 98-04 boat is going to become a lemon it has already done and the owners group knows about it. So if you are looking at one all that is important is the condition it is in now and checking for model specific issues.
Old 24-02-2015, 12:24   #14

Boat: TBD

Nice to see some level headed input to the OPs question. So many of these degrade into Hunter-bashing sessions. So thanks to those who offer insight without snark.
Old 24-02-2015, 12:38   #15
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
And just when were the 'famous' Cherubini designs made? (BTW I personally am looking at 38-42 ft.)

Anyone?
There are different sized Cherubini designs, built during different years. I don't think there is anything larger than the 37. The 37 was cutter
-rigged, and produced 1978-1986. The 36 like I have was produced 1980-1982. There are some smaller Cherubini Hunters as well. More here - HunterOwners.com

The Cherubini's were well built and solid, but getting old now. Look out for wet decks, just like many other older boats. Get a good survey before you sign on the line. Keno (nice post btw) can point to keel issues on his previously owned Hunter.

Another member here just bought a newish 46' Hunter
S/V Good Morning Vietnam I met Brian and his girlfriend. He told me that the rudder had been replaced. The original had a CF rudder post, and was replaced with a stainless one. Not sure exactly which models that applies to. It probably doesn't apply to the boats you are considering, but something to check out.

Just in case you are interested, here is a good post made by a friend of mine. I've been on his boat and am very impressed by that particular 40' model - http://bfsshop.com/blog/how-we-got-to-hunter/

I'm not sure how big a deal it is, but some Hunters have lead keels, and some iron. Again, that is noted on the Hunter specs that I posted the link to.

Happy hunting....

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter