Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 13:41   #1

Boat: 1970 Morgan M38
Charley Morgan 38 1970

Hey all! I know there is another thread or two on the CM38 but they're few and far between without much updating in a while, so I wanted to post a specific question to grab a quick specific answer.

I've been sailing my 1970 Charley Morgan 38 for over a year now and I have fallen in love with it. "Contigo" is a strong sailing heavy full keeled boat with racing lines that allow me to take her up to high speeds compared to most any other boat in her class. The cabin has been modified to accompany more space, making this a perfect single or double handed cruiser. Indeed, she is a unique boat.

Anyway, I've gathered from sailboat data's website, as well as an owners forum (that also hasnt been updated in the better part of a decade) that there were only 75 of these CM-38s made. Is that true? The number on my panel reads M38K007. Does that mean this is the 7th boat made of this series out of 75?

Anyway, I love the boat and cant wait to keep learning more about her! If anyone has any information AT ALL about the boat, please do refer me to it!

H
Old 22-01-2014, 14:10   #2

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft
Re: Charley Morgan 38 1970

Hi there, H.
Have you been on the Morgan 38 owner's forum at www.morgan38.org ?
It has new postings usually daily and loads of useful information. An excellent forum for Morgan 38 owners. The interface is a little clunky, so you might not realize how often it's posted to ... On the left side, click on the '7' to see everything posted in the last 7 days.

We are quite passionate about our M 384. As they say, all boats are compromises, but she is perfect for us.

There were 600+ Morgan 38s made in various subtypes.
The first (about 80) were 1969-1971, and called Charley Morgan 38s. Then came the Morgan 382, 383, 384, then finally (after Catalina bought Morgan) the Catalina/Morgan 38.

By 'panel' do you mean that number is the hull number, usually on the starboard side of the transom? If so, yes, I believe yours would be hull number 7. Usually there is a bigger manufacturers abbreviation (ours says MRY for Morgan Yacht). The format was different for those early years, I guess.
Old 22-01-2014, 14:14   #3

Boat: Columbia 24

Tenacious, here is an example I found for Morgan hull numbers:

Hull identification number MRY22172M79E382 is a Morgan M-38 with hull number 172 built in December, 1979.
MRY indicates Morgan yacht.
22 indicates model M-38.
172 indicates hull number 172.
"M" means "Model Year"
79 indicates model year 1979.
E indicates month December.
382 indicates model M-38. (This is normally redundant with the code 22 ).
Eumelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:37   #4

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I'm new to Morgans i have a 1982 Morgan 384 WindRose is her name In Tarpon Springs.. she was sitting for year with no maintenance.. I'm slowly for the last two years bringing her back. just came out of the boat yard her rub rails were rotted under the cap rail.
With the help of a boatwright i replaces that under rail wit a wood called IPE very hard and cheep. will not rot or float ! Looks just like teak too.
So my frig works ,the ac works , the 4108 perkens works and she sails well.
I'm a former sailing instructor and plan to do some cruising to the bahamas..
I used to be a telephone man in Largo and have met charlie when he was building boats.., repaired his phones. , down the street was Endeavor yacht i was there repairman too, ted Irwin too and Bob Johnson of island packet also . I have been so lucky to see all there work and was a pleasure to fix all there phones..
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:35   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The guy has a Charlie Morgan designed 38' boat. Probably #7 out of 75 built. This was transition between the CCA and IOR rating rule so a lot of cruiser/racer didn't didn't have long production runs though 75 boats isn't bad. FYI, Charlie also designed the Columbia 38 and several others of about the same era.

This boat is not the later Morgan 382-384 series designed by Ted Brewer, an entirely different boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 10:20   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

there really aren't many similarities between the charlie morgan 38 and the heavier egg shaped brewer morgan 38. both are nice looking boats but the charlie would be so much better in the gulf and bahamas (and probably chesapeake bay too) with the full keel and 4' draft. wish there were more of them around.

Tags
Charley Morgan, charlie, cm-38, cm38, morgan, rare