Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 08:39   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Secondary Anchor Rode: A Better Way?

For the last 22 years, we have carried our secondary anchor rode/chain in a dedicated anchor bag(200 feet 3/8" rode with 40 feet of 3/16" chain) which is secured laterally on our foredeck--just aft of our primary anchor locker. In most conditions, it works very well but when it gets lumpy, the bag will move laterally a couple of inches in either direction which is not a problem on short passages but has always been a concern when we are sailing longer distances offshore. Short of stowing it below, which is impractical on our 34' boat, are there any other options we've overlooked? Thanks.
Old 26-04-2017, 08:50   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Secondary Anchor Rode: A Better Way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
For the last 22 years, we have carried our secondary anchor rode/chain in a dedicated anchor bag(200 feet 3/8" rode with 40 feet of 3/16" chain) which is secured laterally on our foredeck--just aft of our primary anchor locker. In most conditions, it works very well but when it gets lumpy, the bag will move laterally a couple of inches in either direction which is not a problem on short passages but has always been a concern when we are sailing longer distances offshore. Short of stowing it below, which is impractical on our 34' boat, are there any other options we've overlooked? Thanks.
What type of secondary anchor and how do you use it?

If it is only for some manner of emergency back-up, move it to the bilge or at lease a locker low down and centered.

If it is a kedge, you don't need chain since there is little chafe. Use Dyneema with a tubular webbing chafe cover. Much easier to row out. This combination is also incredibly chafe resistant.

If it is for V anchoring, also use Dyneema + webbing. There is no yawing and thus little chafe. The free floating webbing cover eliminates cutting and chafe in most circumstances. Certainly, the combination is 100 times more difficult to cut than 3/8" line. You can also go oversized.

Yes, you loose catenary, but in these 2 applications, particularly combined with rope, it won't matter much. Shock absorption doesn't matter with rope in the system. Just use a little more scope. You will find this much easier to handle. I have been using this for several years.
Old 26-04-2017, 09:09   #3

Boat: J/42

My solution is sort of more accidental than planned - but I put a six-inch deck plate way up at the bow, forward of the main anchor locker. I had to enlarge the little vent hole there to get access to all the hardware that was installed before the deck was joined to the hole, and needed maintenance after 40 years. Anyway, I drop the secondary rode through that deck plate. The free end is clipped onto a carabiner and eye on the inside of the deck plate. A little baffle tabbed into the fore peak forms a bin that keeps the secondary rode separate from the main rode which drops from the windlass, about 18" aft. There is a similar arrangement in the transom for the tertiary rode.

Prior to that, I kept the secondary flaked into a dufffle bag, along with the sea anchor. The bag has lots of straps and loops to secure it to the deck. But the proportion of time that I need the sea anchor rigged and ready on deck is fairly small. As is my foredeck.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:53   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you want the belt & suspenders approach, build a divider into your forward chain locker, & add a 2nd hawse pipe (or screw in deck plate). So that both rodes are right there ready for use. Although on a lot of boats, both rodes get stowed in the same bow locker, sans divider, without any issues.

Also, it's rare to find a boat where there's not room to install a stern rode locker. Even if it's but a hawse pipe/deck plate, & a plastic laundry basket or bucket beneath it.

For any other rodes or warps, lash their coils into figure-8's, or hoops, & optionally stow such rodes in marked cloth bags, belowdecks. That, o take a page from Fortress's book & their "Commando" anchoring kits. Ditto on how ropes are coiled by rescue guys, & climbers, so that they're easy to carry, & deploy with little force, with zero hockles or kinks.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 10:27   #5

At this time, I don't have the luxury of another project in re: rebuilding my anchor well system. I use a Fortress FX 23 for my secondary anchor which we deploy in uncertain conditions and can be easily deployed(and retrieved-- if necessary) from the dinghy. We stow it below in a canvas bag in our starboard lazarette along with a Danforth 22H. So, only the rode/chain are stored in the anchor bag on the bow. We use tandem anchors on a fairly regular basis since we tend to gravitate to uncharted anchorages off the beaten path. It gives us a sense of security knowing that there's more than one hook in the seabed. We've considered mounting u-bolts port and starboard and using a ratchet system with the straps sewn into the bag. It would be an improvement on our current simpler system of cordage and hand-tied knots. If I used the Dyneema with webbing, is it possible to use chain with this combination? Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Thanks
Old 26-04-2017, 10:44   #6

Quote:
At this time, I don't have the luxury of another project in re: rebuilding my anchor well system. I use a Fortress FX 23 for my secondary anchor which we deploy in uncertain conditions and can be easily deployed(and retrieved-- if necessary) from the dinghy. We stow it below in a canvas bag in our starboard lazarette along with a Danforth 22H. So, only the rode/chain are stored in the anchor bag on the bow. We use tandem anchors on a fairly regular basis since we tend to gravitate to uncharted anchorages off the beaten path. It gives us a sense of security knowing that there's more than one hook in the seabed. We've considered mounting u-bolts port and starboard and using a ratchet system with the straps sewn into the bag. It would be an improvement on our current simpler system of cordage and hand-tied knots. If I used the Dyneema with webbing, is it possible to use chain with this combination? Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Thanks

With that in mind i'd go for an on-deck locker/seat combination of a size and location that would allow safe maneuvering of the foredeck. Possibly of narrow design following the curvature of the gunwales. Go wild !
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 14:59   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Rognvald,

We have used old jib hanks to secure on-deck storage bags. You would have to add pad eyes with big fender washers to clip them into. [The boat we used them on had a perforated toe rail.] Such attachment withstood a lot of sea miles and many of them with waves across the decks.

However, if the present system has worked will for the last 20 years, that speaks for its practical success. If you can make the bag narrower, by changing the line you use, you'll have a little more foot room on deck.

I don't know if they're still available, but on the Yankee 30 Jim had a welded stainless steel bracket that accepted the Danforth HT plate, so the anchor could be mounted vertically at the bow pulpit, the stock pointing to the sky so that it was not a problem on deck, and secured to it. Something similar could be made for the Fortress.

Ann
Old 27-04-2017, 09:25   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I've got a fortress about that size mounted on a vertical stanchion near the bow (stainless clip w/u-bolt). There are ss clips that let you hang it off your rail and I may be switching to that. Both methods mount shank down. I figured that if I need it I do not want to dig for it. i
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 18:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I've got a fortress about that size mounted on a vertical stanchion near the bow (stainless clip w/u-bolt). There are ss clips that let you hang it off your rail and I may be switching to that. Both methods mount shank down. I figured that if I need it I do not want to dig for it. i
Dave,
Have you tried the Fortress on the bow? My Fortress FX23 shank is too long for both my bow and stern rails. You don't want your anchor dancing/banging in a seaway against your hull. That's why I keep it in the starboard cockpit locker. Best, Rognvald
Old 29-04-2017, 09:31   #10

Thanks to everyone who responded to this post. Good luck and safe sailing, Rognvald
Old 29-04-2017, 13:37   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Dave,
Have you tried the Fortress on the bow? My Fortress FX23 shank is too long for both my bow and stern rails. You don't want your anchor dancing/banging in a seaway against your hull. That's why I keep it in the starboard cockpit locker. Best, Rognvald
Sponge wired to the shank where it hits the rub rail. If it bothered me a piece of shock cord could hold it tight to the rub rail.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rode