Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 14:13   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440 no.285
Wanting To Buy A Lagoon 440

Hello everyone,
after much research, planning and reading many of the posts on this Forum I am now ready to purchase a Lagoon 440.
Ideally I would like one from 2006 onward preferably not an ex charter,but would consider if a good opportunity arises.
I am ready to buy now after surveyors approval.
Any recommendations?
What should I be looking out for? any tel tel signs of a bad one? things that the 440 suffer mostly and expensive to fix?
my budget is around the £200k --€300K and could buy either with Vat not paid or with VAT paid.
I have been chartering until now and this would be my first serious purchase ideally to live aboard for part of the year.

Any help is very welcome

Gianni
Giannisailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:49   #2

Re: wanting to buy a Lagoon 440

Hi Gianni I'm really interested in the Lagoon 440 and I was almost to buy one in 2012 ( I lost it because someone was faster it was a great deal),
If you need to know anything about it or about what is needed I'm available to help if I can.
I'm either planning to take a look at some used unit in the near future, maybe I can share the infos about the units I found over internet and the informations I gathered writing from the owners or the brokers.

I always dreamed to live abroad with my girlfriend for a period of time and would be amazing to travel at least the whole Mediterranean with it.
james3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:20   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

I can send you lots of paperwork on a 440 if you like,
Ours is a 2005, still amazing but not for sale.
Message me your email and i will send you what i have.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:30   #4

Boat: Bavaria, Cruiser, 42
Send a message via MSN to syahead Send a message via Skype™ to syahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
I can send you lots of paperwork on a 440 if you like,
Ours is a 2005, still amazing but not for sale.
Message me your email and i will send you what i have.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hello Dirk,

I would be very interested if you have some hull drawings of the Lagoon 440 measurements. I am contemplating to purchase one 440 - but for specific Danish reasons I need to prove that the length of the deck times the with of the boat is less than 100.

It is because the Danish Maritime Authority only accepts the CE data if the so called dimensionnumber is less than 100.

So if you have any drawings of the Lagoon 440 - I would be gratefull.

All the best,
Allan Nielsen
Email: ahead@syahead.dk
Tel.: +45 50582822
syahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:10   #5

Boat: Sail Craft, Apache 41

Come again with those measurements and Danish CE. You must mean 1000? Even a 20ft beam and 40ft deck is 800
Debgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:44   #6

Many thanks James and Dirk, any information that you care to share wiuld be apreciated. Ideally I would be looking somewhere in the med.next wednesday ill be driving to Nice and then from there perhaps to Spain for some viewings as well as some in france and Italy...so im on a bit of a mission....
im putting my flat on the rental market...and in kensington london rents are pretty good at the moment. Should pay for some of the monthly outgoings..
Old 02-08-2015, 08:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannisailing View Post
Many thanks James and Dirk, any information that you care to share wiuld be apreciated. Ideally I would be looking somewhere in the med.next wednesday ill be driving to Nice and then from there perhaps to Spain for some viewings as well as some in france and Italy...so im on a bit of a mission....
im putting my flat on the rental market...and in kensington london rents are pretty good at the moment. Should pay for some of the monthly outgoings..
Gianni seems that you don't need any advice and you are already ready to do what you want to do, by the way I think that probably you are italian as I am.

Just in case I did some researches about insurance and places where to moor a 44 cat in Italy and actually there are some interesting opportunity.

If you have skype, and if I'm not too intrusive, I'd like to be updated about the boat you are going to view, maybe we can share with the ones I'll going to visit too (is too long that I'm following this boat and for a reason or another I still didn't bought it)

Happy sailing so !
Old 02-08-2015, 09:30   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debgen View Post
Come again with those measurements and Danish CE. You must mean 1000? Even a 20ft beam and 40ft deck is 800
Only the US still measure things in units derived from a medieval king's foot....
afriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:52   #9

Boat: Sail Craft, Apache 41

He was asking about the lagoon 440 which in old speak is 44 feet. It isn't called a lagoon 13.4 and the foot wasn't derived from a kings ft. It came from 3 barley corn placed end to end which equaled one inch then 12 inches equaled one foot.
Debgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:25   #10

Hi James!!
Si somo Italiano anche se vivo a Londra da piu di 20 anni. My skype name is gcalderini would be very happy to exchange info.
Talk soon
Old 02-08-2015, 15:02   #11

Boat: Bavaria, Cruiser, 42
Send a message via MSN to syahead Send a message via Skype™ to syahead

Quote:
He was asking about the lagoon 440 which in old speak is 44 feet. It isn't called a lagoon 13.4 and the foot wasn't derived from a kings ft. It came from 3 barley corn placed end to end which equaled one inch then 12 inches equaled one foot.
Hello again,

Yes we are very metric here :-)

LOA is 44'8'' equals 13,6144 meters
Beam is 25’3'' equals 7,6962 meters
Multiplied = 101,3 square meters

BUT the correct measurement of the length of the deck let the deck end at the top of the stairs which probably subtracts a couple of feet from the length. That may just excactly bring me under 100 M2.

So if anybody have a drawing available I would be most grateful :-)
syahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 15:24   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Doesn't matter what it is called or what the foot is derived from. Denmark uses metric measurements. And I think that Syahead may have a problem.

The specs I have seen make the Lagoon 440 13.6m x 7.7m = 104.72.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 15:25   #13
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannisailing View Post
Hello everyone,
after much research, planning and reading many of the posts on this Forum I am now ready to purchase a Lagoon 440.
Ideally I would like one from 2006 onward preferably not an ex charter,but would consider if a good opportunity arises.
I am ready to buy now after surveyors approval.
Any recommendations?
What should I be looking out for? any tel tel signs of a bad one? things that the 440 suffer mostly and expensive to fix?
my budget is around the £200k --€300K and could buy either with Vat not paid or with VAT paid.
I have been chartering until now and this would be my first serious purchase ideally to live aboard for part of the year.

Any help is very welcome

Gianni
Hello Gianni...and welcome to CF!

Stick with your plans and be patient. There are a lot (well over 400) of 440's out there so they are not hard to find...if you're patient! Once you're there, however, you will be delighted. The L440 is an exceptional vessel.

We spent >4yrs looking at vessels, albeit only focusing on the 440 for the last year...thanks to dirkdig ...and we are now very, very happy with ours. We are often approached to sell ours -- It's definitely not for sale...sorry -- and whenever we take a moment to seriously think about selling, the conclusion is always the same. So long as we want to continue sailing, there's no other vessel that we would prefer.

Good luck in your search!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 23:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Hello Gianni...and welcome to CF!

Stick with your plans and be patient. There are a lot (well over 400) of 440's out there so they are not hard to find...if you're patient! Once you're there, however, you will be delighted. The L440 is an exceptional vessel.

We spent >4yrs looking at vessels, albeit only focusing on the 440 for the last year...thanks to dirkdig ...and we are now very, very happy with ours. We are often approached to sell ours -- It's definitely not for sale...sorry -- and whenever we take a moment to seriously think about selling, the conclusion is always the same. So long as we want to continue sailing, there's no other vessel that we would prefer.

Good luck in your search!
I really love the Lagoon 440 too and I think that probably is the best mid range catamaran that the Lagoon did.

Just curious, if I'm not intrusive, could you tell me where was mooring the one you bought and if it was a charter unit or not ?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:03   #15

Hello James,
I am in France now and will be going to Italy in a few days.If you have a chance contat me via skype (gcalderini) or mobile 00447748332691.

Gianni

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440